Dragon's Dogma - Discussion Thread

Kind of. But the combat is more dynamic and that's what makes it interesting. Besides, the set-up is entirely different for both games.

I'm thinking of playing this one the last time it came lot of games came out same time and that black bars didn't helped either.

@Ethan_Hunt - Are you planning to play this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@dinjo: Yes, very much so. But I'm largely concerned about the frame rates and tearing issues which plagued the X360 version. I was actually watching some gameplay videos of Dark Arisen and the tearing is still present, but the gameplay looks awesome. Since the upcoming months aren't very heavy with the game releases, I might just pick up Dark Arisen. There is a part of me which still wants to wait for the PC version, which I'm 100% sure is going to happen, only when, is the big question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the Dark Risen still has black bars ? I guess its the version with DLC added on.

I have no idea. Quite frankly, I can live with the black border thing too, but the frame rate drop and tearing is completely unacceptable.

Wait a second, there are black borders in the console versions? :eek:

If I remember correctly, yes. They had dropped the resolution to 1280x608, there by messing up the aspect ratio. Though the black borders aren't as large as the ones found in movies.

If I remember correctly, yes. They had dropped the resolution to 1280x608, there by messing up the aspect ratio. Though the black borders aren't as large as the ones found in movies.

Oh dear! :( And I thought this was an issue only plaguing the PC platform!

I had an urge to start this title sometime back and decided not to. I read somewhere the game has some epic boss encounters similar to SotC. Is the upcoming Dark Arisen an expansion sorts or a sequel?

It's basically the main game plus lots of additional content, more like an enhanced edition. If they have fixed those annoying issues persisting the original game, then I could very well see myself playing the game.

After 67 hours I finally beat the game. The last battle was definitely awesome. My final level was 60 with Assassin build and my main pawns was the same with warrior build. I stocked up on so much healing items, but hardly used any, as it turned out, I was a bit over-leveled for the final battle. Since I couldn't find Quina after her final side quest, I chose Camellia to be my love interest. Anyway, I enjoyed the game, although I wouldn't consider it in the same range as The Witcher series, it was still a good game. The best thing about it has definitely got to be the combat system. Also, I must say that the AI of the pawns is the best possible AI design, I have ever seen in any game. They operate well on their own, assist you and heed you commands.

It's a shame they only focused on the combat aspect, while the graphics and storyline took a major hit. The dialogues were way too Shakespearean and the characters weren't even remotely interesting. I really didn't connect with most of them and was just waiting for their dialogues to end. If you're looking for a good storyline, then this is not it. The game is challenging at start, but once you start building up your character and hiring proper pawns, you'll be able to ace it in no time. I was grinding a lot. Cyclopses, Chimeras, Harpies, Ogres, Golems, Griffin's etc could be slayed pretty easily if you have the right set-up. The only one which took some time to kill for me was the Drake. Although, killing a Drake was totally worth it as it gave 27k XP instantly.

I'm now in the post-game mode, which has a few more quests remaining and a final optional boss known as the Ur-Dragon to beat. I might try it out if I'm in the mood, else move on with my remaining back-log. Even, Bitterblack Isle (DLC area) remains. This has definitely got to be the most toughest part of the game. I went into it a while back and got my arse kicked. Almost every mini-bosses have an insane number of health dots. The chained Gorecyclopses are 10 times your size and can pretty much one shot you to death. Speaking of Death, you'll have the "Ripper" himself visiting you randomly and none of my weapons seemed to inflict any damage on it (it requires holy gear). Anyway, that place is crazy. I'll give it a rest for now and attempt it later perhaps.

Didn't you faced difficulty issues with one of the levels there was a huge outburst on that level.

And how did you find those 67 hours

Didn't you faced difficulty issues with one of the levels there was a huge outburst on that level.

Which one? The main game quests were not that big of a challenge. Bitterblack Isle is the only place which will kick your arse, not matter what level you're on.

And how did you find those 67 hours

Simple, I found a sweet spot at the start of this month and didn't touch any other game. But truth be told I didn't want to miss this RPG, even when it got sub-par reviews, I still want to have a go at it. There is something in this game that keeps pulling me back to it. I'm currently in the post game quests now and Everfall area is full of surprises.

EDIT: Just beat the Ur Dragon too. Phew! Took me around and hour and a half to take this SOB down. Cost me quite a lot to stack up those curatives for this fight, but in the end it was worth it. I'll finally call it an end for this game.

Back