Download Windows XP SP3 Now Or Next Week

Actually you can download XP SP3 today with some leaks online. Searching on a Bittorrent site, will show that Windows XP SP3 5503 is available for download and this is the build which seems to be the RTM for Service Pack 3 for XP.

After Vista SP1's release, all the people who don't want to leave XP were eagerly waiting for XP SP3. There were a few RC (Release Candidate) released before this one and hence everyone was anticipating a final release (RTM) sometime soon. Microsoft hasn't confirmed that the SP3 build 5503 is the RTM one and maintains the fact that it will be released in the first half of 2008.

And yes, it is the first half of 2008. Just like Vista SP1, this version could well be the RTM. During Vista SP1, Microsoft had released a build about 2 weeks old and given it to a lot of people. After testing when this build (specifically 1840 for Vista), it seemed to be stable enough and Microsoft called this the RTM build. Same could be the thing for XP SP3 and 5503 can be the RTM build, but don't take my word for it... Try it yourself and check back when the actual RTM is out!!

Source: Sunny Talks Tech: Download Windows XP SP3 Next Week

Downloaded & installed SP-3 RC-1 or 2
Ohhhhhh after installing my on C2D lappy got me memories of my grand father's P.C.
Soooo slow that even 286 would have perfomed faster.

MBKAHBR said:
Downloaded & installed SP-3 RC-1 or 2
Ohhhhhh after installing my on C2D lappy got me memories of my grand father's P.C.
Soooo slow that even 286 would have perfomed faster.
strange....my experience is quite different. After installing it on my 5 year old comp..it gave me considerable performance boost.

I installed v3311..will slipstream the final release into my xp cd

I'm on build 3264, and staying there. The performance increase is quite dramatic actually (SP2 was a dog) for me. It only messed with my custom themes, but that got fixed in 5 minutes.

I can at last work with XP, rather than work around it.

A year ago MS promised lots of new technology for SP1 Vista and SP3 XP.

It was belived that XP would also support 3d desktop to support new tecnology that MS is developing.

Ummm... actually, a year ago MS promised that neither Vista SP1 nor XP SP3 would have any significant new functionality.

I wonder where you dream up this stuff.

Plus, why would MS take away buzz from the SP1 launch by releasing SP3... I have a feeling they will delay SP3 to allow more businesses and users to get Vista with SP1... I'll be surprised if they actually release SP3 next week...

You think the availability of SP3 will affect uptake of Vista + SP1, but I disagree.

XP in general affects Vista sales, but SP3 vs SP1 is not an issue. People have waited till SP1 just to wait for bugs to be ironed out; now that they are, they will take a decision as to whether to upgrade or not. If they find XP suitable, they'll stick with it SP3 or not.

well i have different reason to wait for XP SP3.
i am handling SMS 2003 and we are upgrading SCCM 07 where you have NAP - Network Access Protection - system which is outdated patches wont enter into LAN. but as a client only Vista and 2003 had support for NAP.
now NAP is given to XP SP3 also:hap2:
lets see when it becomes official.

Now that Windows Vista service pack 1 has been released, all eyes have shifted to Microsoft's plans for Windows XP service pack 3, the final package of updates for the trusty OS. And, according to at least one source, Microsoft will roll out XP SP3 next Monday.
As of Wednesday afternoon Pacific time, the BitTorrent search engine Mininova listed a 568.73 MB Windows XP Professional SP3 5503 file available for download. The file, which had 112 seeds and 417 leeches, had been downloaded 2083 times since it was posted Tuesday, according to the listing.

According to the file description notes, Microsoft will release the final version of XP SP3 on March 24, but the 5503 test build passes all Windows Genuine Advantage checks and is able to download Windows updates that previous XP SP3 builds weren't able to, which suggests that it could, in fact, be the final RTM build.

When Microsoft released Vista SP1 in February, the final RTM code was identical to the Vista SP1 Release Candidate (RC) 1 Refresh 2 test build that was released to a group of 15,000 testers two weeks earlier.

A Microsoft spokesperson, perhaps weary from the months-long barrage of Vista SP1 related inquiries, said the final version of XP SP3 is still on target to be released the first half of calendar year 2008, and the XP SP3 5503 build was a minor interim build released to address one specific issue for a subset of private beta testers.

"This build was not intended for public release, and anyone who has that build and is not part of the private beta is working with bits that Microsoft can't verify the integrity -- it's possible the bits may have been modified with malware or other bad code that Microsoft hasn't tested," the spokesperson said in an email.

XP SP3 was originally slated for release in 2006, but Microsoft has delayed it on numerous occasions since launching XP SP2 in August 2004. In February, Microsoft released XP SP3 Release Candidate 2 through its Download Center to users running PCs with XP SP2 installed
link : Source: Microsoft To Release XP SP3 Next Week - Software - IT Channel News by CRN and VARBusiness

Back