Download a website

krishnandu

Skilled
Hi friends, I want to download the whole website and browse from my machine as I browse online. I don't know whether it's legal or not. If it's illegal then mods please delete the thread. Otherwise please suggest any software with which I can do this. I mean if I specify the url the software will automatically download the home website by crawling through it. Is it possible?? BTW I want to download W3Schools Online Web Tutorials :)

Isn't this how google started?

That freak Sergey decided to download the whole web onto his desktop?? :p

I am pretty sure this is legal.

Win HT Track is an awesome application. But it will consume a whole lot of Bandwidth (at your end) and Server Resources (at the Website's end). May be the Webmaster Ban your IP Range

Also it is not fully guaranteed that you will get the Website on your PC AS IT IS. There might be some/many errors.

You can easily Save Full/Specific Webpages in Image Format using Screengrab Firefox Addon for later reference :)

Also, when configuring HT Track, make sure you restrict yourself to the same domain in the settings, or you may end up downloading the internet. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but it downloads all links on a page.

Internet Download Manager has a think called "grabber" which will work to. There are many softwares that'll do the job. Just remember that the software should modify the links for offline browsing. Meaning if 123.com/abcd.html has a link inside that points 123.com/hijk.html then the modified link should be just hijk.html

Uriel said:
Also, when configuring HT Track, make sure you restrict yourself to the same domain in the settings, or you may end up downloading the internet. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but it downloads all links on a page.

Good advice. Where is this option located?

In any case, I was using it a few days back, and thankfully it automatically popped up an alert about pages/links from another domain - in this case the google ads - and offered me the option to ignore all links under that domain.

^Once you have started downloading, go to Mirror>Modify Options>Limits>Maximum external depth and change it to 0 (no value by default).

Oh thank you. I recently downloaded it. Downloaded it from rapidshare and working perfectly. Got it by googling around.

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. My need is fullfilled but yet if you people don't feel disturbed can you suggest the configuration. I want to know these for just my curiosity and for later purpose.

Im not sure of this, but I think what you did wrong was use the URL "http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/default.asp" as the base URL. It is better to use just "http://www.w3schools.com"... correct me if I am wrong on this, and let us know what went wrong.

If you don't feel disturbed :p:
The settings change depend on what website you are downloading. For example, this particular website has a forums section, but that is on another domain. You would get a heap of useless pages if it were on the same domain. HT Track generates a "mirror" of the website you are downloading on the local hard drive, so the folder structure and the pages you need may not be easy to find or use unless you know what you are doing, although HT Track does create an index page of all downloads. HT Track would work well for a site like say Wikipedia (don't try unless you have loads of space), but not for a site such as digg. These are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Another problem is that ads, widgets to third party sites, even the images used on the widgets etc, are all copied, which you do not really need. It's not a perfect operation, and even if you do download properly, there is ALWAYS, some pruning involved after the operation, to delete data that you do not need. At least in my experience.

I typed the url as W3Schools Online Web Tutorials. Does it supports crawling through the whole website?? I mean if I put the URL it will download each and every page by crawling through links to links?? What I got after using HTTrack is the first page and when I clicked on the links it doesn't worked. But at the time of downloading it downloaded many things.

hmm... strange... Im sorry, I cannot figure this out too. Downloaded the website myself. Faced the same problem - nothing is showing up.

For some reason, the HT Track is downloading only the headers of the files, stopping at the body. :bewildered:

Hmm......!! Looks like there is something that we both need to configure correctly. Well....Lets wait till some other member helps us in this matter.

i hv come across something called pagenestfree. Didn't try it out... Google it out , try, and plz tell me too(*Lazy bones i m!!*)

Back