PC Peripherals Doubt regarding RMA HDD

Trajan

Adept
My Seagate 200GB PATA has 5 bad sectors:( ... the machine crashes once a while due to that... I am planning to get a new PATA drive when i give this drive for RMA... How much days does it take to RMA the drive??? And will Segate service center accept to RMA my drive just because it has 5 bad sectors???

Where is Seagate service center in chennai and how much days does it take to RMA in chennai???

Suggestions guys.....

Seagate Service Centre

Accek ICIM Systems, No.132, 2nd floor, Greams Road (Near IDBI Bank)

Ph : 42015162/163

^Took this from the list of service centre given to me by Delta Peripherals.

if its even 1 bad sector they will take...first of all tthey wont even ask..if they ask bad sector is the main reason for submission

I think Accel ICIM provides service to seagate products , they have got 5 Chennai offices listed on their website :O

Accel Frontline

Last time I had to RMA it took around 7-10 days for the replacement, but I also got a bad replacement on a couple of occasions. They will just scan the serial and check for external damage. Hope it helps :)

Edit : Late :(

Yes most of the time you will end up with a serviced disk, unless they havn't got one, in which case you will get a new one :)

Trajan said:
The drive that i get from RMA, will it be a new drive or someother drive that came for RMA that is serviced?

I got a replacement for a Hitachi 250GB HDD 2 days back - I realised after I gave it for RMA that the HDD was OK it was my SATA cable which was flaky - but Hitachi replaced it anyway with a new HDD :) ..... what I did when I got the HDD was immediately after a Format and Backup Image restoration was to run a SMART program .... from the power on hours reading which shows 3 hours I conclude I got a NEW HDD. :clap: Even a low level format does not erase these SMART readings - I know - I have tried that. :)

It took 10 days to replace the HDD which I am sure included a couple of days cooling period at the local store from where I originally bought the HDD.

I got serviced hdd's from Accel ICIM on all three occasions here in Mumbai, that was also confirmed by the guy at the service center :(

This was around a year back with my 80GB PATA

eazy??where is hitachi??? service center...btw

and trajan need not worry jus giv for replacement.......bad sectors is the only reason every reason ppl giv

and one question guys... i got the HDD from Delta peripherals in chennai... should i take it to them or straight to the service center with bill???

Take it to the service Centre. If you go to delta kamal/Navin will give you a sheet which will have the address and ph. No. of all the service centre in it:p

Trajan said:
and one question guys... i got the HDD from Delta peripherals in chennai... should i take it to them or straight to the service center with bill???

seagate ? go directly to greams road with hdd alone.. thats enough. if theres stock they will give you replacement over the counter otherwise you'll have to wait a day or two

Thanks for the advice guys... I was planning to get a 160/250GB PATA seagate and transfer all data from 200GB drive to it and then give the 200GB for replacement... how is 160/250GB Pata Seagate vs West Digital??? which is better?? and what abt cost?

and how long does the drive take to go kaput after getting bad sectors??? and is Seagate service center open on saturday???

Both are fine. But I guess these days most guys either go with Seagate or Hitachi!

And yep the drives they give in return will have a sticker on it clearly saying Serviced Drive or something. Shouldnt take too long, for me it took a while only cause they dint have equivalent replacement drives in stock, but i think it still took just around a week.

i wish..i too was lucky like u guys...

i have given my 80 GB PATA seagate HDD for replacement though they have promised a replacement it's been more than one month..i havent got the HDD..they always..postpone it saying..there's no stock..of 80 GB PATA..andd they are supposed to come from TAIWAN via chenaai etc etc...what can i do..the dealer /my uncle thru whom i have given..goes at the andheri service centre..and yells at them..still they dnt do anything..

as of now... i am living on a 40 GB PATA ...

^ Yep I had a similar response from them when they were taking slightly long with it. What they usually do is give you higher capacity versions that are readily available.

Crazy_Eddy said:
^ Yep I had a similar response from them when they were taking slightly long with it. What they usually do is give you higher capacity versions that are readily available.

i wish ..this could happen with me.means..me getting a higher capacity disk..then the 80gb..but the chances are very rare..cauz they do this only when a disk\model is completely out of production or out of stock..for a long period ..but even thts not there in my case..i think..80 GB PATA are still there for some time in market..so they will mostly give.. a 80 gb only

but if i had given ..say a 20/40 gb they would surely have replaced it by higher capacity disk..

so let them carry it along..till 80 gb disks..are outta productions..:pthen i may have chances of getting 120/160 gb...;)but...it's better i get back my normal 80 gb...instead of waiting..more 2-3 mnths..for something..better tht too not guranteed :huh:

Back