OC & Modding Double PSU queries.

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
I'm a big fan of VIP PSUs, the modded 300W is proving me right :lol:

So I have 2 of these PSUs, bith equally modded. One PSU has no wires on it :( damn, some experiment went wrong.

Sooooo i was thinking, Can I put 2 PSUs in a single box, wire em internally and amke it a 600watter? :p

Both PSU's heatsinks can be made low profile very easily :p I dont think both PSUs will touch if i mount the second PSU on the cover.

I'm thinking, wire up the inputs internally and the green wire too, internally. Use one PSU just for the 24pin and 4 pin, move all connectors to the other PSU. Have got native SATA connectors, filtered inputs, blah blah good stuff from another dead PSU :D so i think its gonna turn out good.

BTW, any technique to sync both PSUs? as in the thermaltake toughpower series, 2 separate PSUs work together as one.

Heat will be the deal breaker, the caps will be prone to premature failure and so too the active devices. You will need more airflow and heat removal, so cutting the sinks will be counterproductive.

You can fit the second PS board on the roof or the floor if you have enough room in your case for a board like that. Except it will hang in midair. Or behind. You need to get creative.

Rest of the plan sounds fine. No additional sync should be needed, but create a thick ground connection between the boards. This will keep the currents and regulation happy.

Nono, not cutting the sinks. it has lots of Al strips at the top, they can be bent 90* and clearance can be got.

I think i'll add another fan at the rear end, just to increase airflow.

Want to mount both PSUs in the compaq PSU casing, but non standard size = cant fit inside my case. Plus havnt tested if the PSU fits inside :lol:

@sangram : Ground connection b/w boards? You mean I should connect ground ( black) wires of both PSUs together?

No, inside the PSUs (PCB to PCB) if you're combining them. Otherwise the only connection between then is through secondary paths, such as the PCB of the graphics card or the IDE cable. This can cause weird ground loops.

OTOH the Antec double PSU system doesn't do any such thing, so I guess you'll be fine even without it. This is more of an audio thing, may not apply to PCs quite as much.

lolzz...dis guyz crazy...

getdown some insane PSU modding..and keep us updated with your progress ...some live pics will be great...

do u want me to send you another 400 W VIP PSU ..u could put 3 of them together and make a 1000W VVVV VIP PSU..:rofl:

faheem. FIY I had done a triple PSU once :p

Powersafe 500W + Zebby 500W + Zebby 400W. lol

donations are welcome if you have an extra PSU and want to get rid of it :D will be very handy cos i'm building a dlaod rig :D

I have 1 dead psu (zebronics that came with a cabby)- If you can pick it up from my place in Mys.

Not sure, it might even be iball, wait a minute.. I think I might have 2. One is surely dead, the other one might have some prob with 12v line.

EDIT: Didnt read ur post correctly, Dont have proper working ones as said above :).

Couldn't fit 2 of them in a single box, heatsinks too tall even when bent :( have to be cut and I dont hav time to do that now

Soooo. running dual psus...

One PSU has just the 24pin ATX and 4 pin ATX connector. Other PSU has just 3 wires having 2 molexes each. and a single power sense wire. Everything running very fine now, rig has been running non stop since last 72 hours :)

Back