PC Peripherals Does tampering with the seal of lenovo desktop void warranty ?

anfjavid

Skilled
hello guys,

recently my uncle bought 3 lenevo desktops in a hurry without consulting me. Problem is they dont come with a cd/dvd drive. Now inspite of telling him that tampering the seal will void warranty , he has tampered the pc and installed an LG dvd rw in that PC.

Will this void the warranty ??.

Because i heard that branded desktops come with a warranty seal to avoid making alterations/additions to the pc.

that's the reason its mostly mentioned clearly on the seal that it would void warranty or the seal shouldn't be tampered with! Possible situation now.....

1) u get hold of a field engineer from lenovo and explain the situation to him and ask him as per policy what is to be done ? and how would things be now ?

2) call lenovo and ask them to upgrade the systems with RW's and then when the engineer comes explain the situation to him remove the installed RW's - put the other ones and sell off the existing ones / return to dealer. that way he can check if all of the other components are fine and not tampered / replaced / swapped and then he can put the new seal for their reference.

3) directly talk to customer care that such issue has happened and what happens next.

4) hope nothing goes wrong with the desktop for the next 1 yr , considering company warranty is just 1 yr , unless they are covered for more.

omg :S. Actually my uncle has asked some person whether tampering seal will void warranty , for which he was answered it will not !!!. But i am very sure that he wouldnt have asked the lenevo call centre or any lenevo engineer

1) Are you guys sure that, if he continues using his pc (with the LG drive installed) in his system and one or the other day the pc goes kaput and if a lenevo service engg. is called , he wont repair the pc stating the wrnty is voided?

2) My uncle was also told by the dealer that the lenevo desktops come with 1 yr onsite warranty + 2 yr carry in warranty. Is this true ?. Because lenevo site doesnt state anything clearly about warranty.

3) Proccy, Ram, Mobo, PSU, cabby - 3 yrs warranty - agreed
But a seagate hdd normally comes with 5 yr warranty.
So can my uncle claim 5 yr warranty for seagate hdd ??

plz enlighten me as i have less knowledge about branded pcs.

The config of lenevo pc is and the price is 21000 + LG dvd rw = 22100
intel 945gclf
e5200
1gb ddr2 800
250gb seagate
lenevo 18.5" monitor
keyb / mouse

(no freebies , nothing)

Plz tell me whether it is worth buying the above for this price guys. Also tell me about their support...

the seal has been put for not being tampered and there by modifying the system...

tomorrow if some one tampers it and changes internal hardware with inferior one's.. would anyone buy it ?? or would the manufacturer care to provide warranty on it?? (OEM)

warranty is void from lenevo side in this case... however.. the dealer you bought it from may provide/help you with warranty some way or other...

anfjavid said:
1) Are you guys sure that, if he continues using his pc (with the LG drive installed) in his system and one or the other day the pc goes kaput and if a lenevo service engg. is called , he wont repair the pc stating the wrnty is voided?

Its already void when the seal was broken. They will still service it, but it will not be for free. Still your uncle can try calling lenovo, explain the situation and ask them to put another seal, then maybe *mind you* maybe they will consider.

Another alternative is to take a sly approach :p, if the seal isn't completely damaged/removed he may try calling them up and telling that the seal was broken during transit/ or that a kid in the house broke it while playing around. Of course the LG Drive has to come out and everything must be in the exact same state as when it was brought in.

Whatever the tactic he may want to employ, just do it quick.

anfjavid said:
2) My uncle was also told by the dealer that the lenevo desktops come with 1 yr onsite warranty + 2 yr carry in warranty. Is this true ?. Because lenevo site doesnt state anything clearly about warranty.

That information should be available int he documentation that he got with the machine. If its not, just confirm with the lenovo people. Don't rely on what some one else says or whats mentioned on the site. These thing may change form machine to machine and time to time. The website will not always be upto date.

anfjavid said:
3) Proccy, Ram, Mobo, PSU, cabby - 3 yrs warranty - agreed

But a seagate hdd normally comes with 5 yr warranty.

So can my uncle claim 5 yr warranty for seagate hdd ??

If the computer comes with 1 year warranty then everything has 1 year warranty. Don't compare that to warranty on retail components. They source their OEM components directly from manufacturers and they follow their own warranty terms.

for hard disk, you can confirm the warranty. download seagate utility and get serial number, then visit their website and check using serial number and you'll get warranty details.

lissyf2 said:
for hard disk, you can confirm the warranty. download seagate utility and get serial number, then visit their website and check using serial number and you'll get warranty details.

afaik, Seagate dont provide RMA service directly for OEM hdds, OP needs to contact Lenovo directly for claiming warranty on it

I don't know the normal procedure in the cities, but as a dealer for Lenovo, HP etc here in my town, it's usually up to me to process the warranty issues. Whenever there's any hardware problem or such, we submit a report about the issues faced and the troubleshooting done (which might include opening up the PC). Never had any issues.
Talk to the dealer your uncle got it from. I'm sure if he wants, he can facilitate any warranty issues. Anyways, all hardware should have part nos/ serial nos/ OEM stickers, so the issue of changing internals shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, no seal = warranty void. unless you can somehow manage to fight and get you replacement will be very hard.
On the plus side, i have had OEM desktops before and noticed things start failing only after the warranty period. So goodluck keep your fingers crossed.

Actually after connectin the LG drive some HW engineer has resealed the cabinet. I dont know what will happen when claiming warranty. My uncle isnt caring about that . So m not going to bother about it anymore...

Back