Does it make sense to buy an Onkyo HTS 3100 now?

Hi,
I listen to a lot of music, and I've decided that it's time I acquired my first HT set up to go with a 32in. LCD telly I'm planning to get.
Obviously, I am operating under budgetary constraints...it took some convincing to get the wife to sanction 50k for a flat-panel telly and a sound system!
I'd want to hook up the audio from my Tata Sky DTH, my DVD player (planning on upgrading to a BluRay player soon) and the audio from my telly for when I'm playing, say, a concert video off a USB device plugged to it...
A casual search indicated that the Onkyo HTS 3100 (reasonably good reviews, output-wise, from what I see) was available at a rather attractive Rs.15,990 on FutureBazaar.com.
Now, I understand that the HTS3100 is a rather old unit, and is being replaced with the HTS3300. So, does it make sense for me to buy the former, even at that price? Is the lack of HDMI support going to be a problem?
Please advise...

Go for 3300 , its selling for ~23k now a days . Frankly dont ever go for an electronic item which is at its EOL ... And 3100 doesnt have HDMI ...

^^ add to that: i heard the onkyo 3100 at a croma store and it sounded, well honestly crap.. 3300 is miles ahead in technology and sound. well worth the extre 8-10k.

I just heard the Onkyo HT-S3300 and was very impressed with it's sound. I compared it to yamaha (51k, too costly and bassy), JBL 25k (crap!) Jamo (55k, only speakers no AVR). 3300 seems to be the best. However it was for 27k! Where is it for 23k?:)

abhifusion said:
Go for 3300 , its selling for ~23k now a days . Frankly dont ever go for an electronic item which is at its EOL ... And 3100 doesnt have HDMI ...

As a HT-S3300 user myself, I would say that it's better to buy S3300. If you're upgrading later to Blue-Ray player and if you've (or planning to upgrade to) Tata Sky HD then S3300 is the best option. HT-S3100 stopped making sense long ago since HT-S3300 was introduced.

Rockfella said:
I just heard the Onkyo HT-S3300 and was very impressed with it's sound. I compared it to yamaha (51k, too costly and bassy), JBL 25k (crap!) Jamo (55k, only speakers no AVR). 3300 seems to be the best. However it was for 27k! Where is it for 23k?:)
27k ? Too much to ask for 3300 ... I got it from vijay sales , pune for 24k ... check out hifivision.com : Home Theater In A Box ... Too bad onkyo 3300 @ 20k group buy has been called off !

Rockfella said:
which Yamaha & JBL?

Back