Dock dilemma

desiibond

Skilled
Display: 32" 2K resolution 144Hz display (will shift to 27" 4K 144Hz display in few months, probably dual displays).
Laptop1 : M2 Pro MBP
Laptop 2: Shitty office Dell laptop (no priority for refresh rate, thanks to security bloatware, this thing lags even at 30Hz).
Desktop: RTX3090 (may not route through dock).

I am thinking whether to get TS3Plus for $249 or TS4 for $450. I do not have any data copy needs. I just do not want to juggle wires to shift from Mac to office-laptop to Mac. One I shift to new house, will be using LAN with dock (300Mbps). I am leaning towards TS3Plus. Is there a better alternative? 144Hz HRR support is mandatory (2K and 4K).

Any particular reason you are going with a thunderbolt dock? AFAIK, a KVM switch would be much much cheaper and get the job done, granted they usually don't come with LAN.

Also, how many input types do the monitor support? Just HDMI, or do they have DP port/DVI, etc?

I was checking spec sheets. Dell did not mention support for HRR while TS3 suppprts 2K HRR and single 144hz 4K
There’s no way TS3 can support 4K at 144hz. Through DP 1.2 port maximum possible is 4K 60hz and tb3 probably support 4K 120hz through usbc to DP 1.4 converter.

I know lots people using wd22tb4 with apple silicon MacBook and LG C2/C3 at 4K 120hz with the help of usbc to Hdmi 2.1 cable based on VMM7100 or 6100 chipset.

There’s no way TS3 can support 4K at 144hz. Through DP 1.2 port maximum possible is 4K 60hz and tb3 probably support 4K 120hz through usbc to DP 1.4 converter.
yeah. 4k@120 is possible with new controller it seems but then I do not see anyone actually showing that. My current display is 2K@144 and TS3 would do.
I know lots people using wd22tb4 with apple silicon MacBook and LG C2/C3 at 4K 120hz with the help of usbc to Hdmi 2.1 cable based on VMM7100 or 6100 chipset.
One reason I am thinking of TS4 is support for 4k HRR with DP and with TypeC. Let me check a bit more about Dell dock. We have older dell docks in office and they are pretty good though at standard refresh rate. My next monitor would be Type C one.

where are you getting these docks from? haven't seen them anywhere here.
Then why not DELL WD22TB4? Available for 15.5K and has two DP 1.4, 1 HDMI 2.0, two TB4 ports.
its 25k on official site. where is it selling for 15? I need a new dock and would grab the dell if its indeed available for 15k.

where are you getting these docks from? haven't seen them anywhere here.

its 25k on official site. where is it selling for 15? I need a new dock and would grab the dell if its indeed available for 15k.

the store looks pretty sketchy ngl, have you ordered from it?
yes i do.. ordered several items from them for the past two years. so far all good.
Even TPS Tech has it for 16.6K

Personally i got it from ltonlinestore since it was 1K cheaper.

the store looks pretty sketchy ngl, have you ordered from it?
Quite reliable, esp for b2b oriented products like this one.

On a side note, Most PC peripherals will typically be cheaper outside amazon given the significant amazon fee and the fairly high frivolous , or worse fake return rates.
This is also the reason most PC internals (eg SSD/ RAM etc) are now converting to non-returnable on amazon - which is probably a good thing

Back