Do we really deserve a 32-bit OS as a Next Generation OS

KingKrool said:
Actually, if you look at the history of OpenGL, you'll realize they are responsible for their own fate. You can ask Chaos, who knows more about this; but the gist of it is that OpenGL never had a gaming focus and was dominated by companies that were interested in scientific and industrial visualization which has quite different demands than gaming. That was fiar enough, at the time that was where the money in 3d rendering work was. MS of course had no presence in that business. As a result, MS created their own gaming and media oriented API (DirectX). If not, we'd probably currently have each gfx card manufacturer providing their own API (anyone remember Glide?).

yup i agree with u that the main focus of OpenGL was scientific work at that time. But still what irks me is that MS started a separate API for only Windows. That thwarted Linux from gaming and established MS as the only OS meant for gaming. To add insult to injury, in Vista they refused to let OpenGL run natively, which meant that OpenGL applications would perform poorly as compared to their DX counterparts.

But i think this was fixed by a third-party group (or OpenGL group: Neowin.net - OpenGL Now Natively Supported in Windows Vista, so OpenGL now runs natively on Vista.

The main point is that MS don't care for their customers. They released XBOX360 with RROD to steal momentum from PS3 which ultimately cost them billions as they had to repair numerous consoles for free. Further, they charge people to play online on XBOX 360 which is a basic service and should be free.

OpenGL had a good chance to comeback before the release of DX10 by releasing OpenGL 3.0 before DX10. But they faltered again...

P.S: All this is OT :)

sTALKEr said:
sheesh.. do you even know what your talking about?

Yes I DO--if you have someing--share with us--its M$ for whom PC comes to masses and its DIRECT X which makes games for masses--M$ perfectly know the 4Ps of marketing -how to sell their half cooked monopolistic products---n we have to buy it--since other competitors(linux-sun-apple) are too geeeky to come with something simple n easy to use n well marketed products..

Well DX10 does not run any more natively on Vista than OpenGL does... so no one can complain. They run equally. The OpenGL ARB even has a note on this: Windows Vista and OpenGL-the Facts - OpenGL Pipeline Newsletter

As for shipping a broken OGL, what the hell are you talking about? Do you know how OGL works?

Unlike DX, OGL is not available as a redistributable. It HAS to be implemented as an ICD (distributed with / part of the gfx driver) of a gfx card. So I am not sure how MS could break ATI or NVidia's drivers...

As for making it Windows specific, well what did you expect? OpenGL was the "open" spec, and they had no interest (at the time) in going down the gaming specialization route. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The Win32 API is Windows specific too. Are you going to complain about that? The API is open enough. Anyone can download the specs. It is part of MSDN. No big secrets there. It isn't a trade secret (like many other APIs of MS). So stop complaining for no reason.

Note that DX is NEVER used for non-gaming / non - multimedia purposes. OpenGL is always preferred there.

montylee said:
yup i agree with u that the main focus of OpenGL was scientific work at that time. But still what irks me is that MS started a separate API for only Windows. That thwarted Linux from gaming and established MS as the only OS meant for gaming. To add insult to injury, in Vista they refused to let OpenGL run natively, which meant that OpenGL applications would perform poorly as compared to their DX counterparts.
But i think this was fixed by a third-party group (or OpenGL group: Neowin.net - OpenGL Now Natively Supported in Windows Vista, so OpenGL now runs natively on Vista.

The main point is that MS don't care for their customers. They released XBOX360 with RROD to steal momentum from PS3 which ultimately cost them billions as they had to repair numerous consoles for free. Further, they charge people to play online on XBOX 360 which is a basic service and should be free.

OpenGL had a good chance to comeback before the release of DX10 by releasing OpenGL 3.0 before DX10. But they faltered again...

P.S: All this is OT :)

I echoed many times - M$ is a complete bania--who perfectly sense the market vibes--sell their hallf cooked products again again--they succedded to create a hype around their products//the opengl is nor doubt a very good set of api--but those guys are less on marketing n settig it as a standard--whereas M$ is completly opposite 2 it//all those open soource consortium need to join hands together-make things available at right time with right message

KingKrool said:
Well DX10 does not run any more natively on Vista than OpenGL does... so no one can complain. They run equally. The OpenGL ARB even has a note on this: Windows Vista and OpenGL-the Facts - OpenGL Pipeline Newsletter
As for shipping a broken OGL, what the hell are you talking about? Do you know how OGL works?
Unlike DX, OGL is not available as a redistributable. It HAS to be implemented as an ICD (distributed with / part of the gfx driver) of a gfx card. So I am not sure how MS could break ATI or NVidia's drivers...
As for making it Windows specific, well what did you expect? OpenGL was the "open" spec, and they had no interest (at the time) in going down the gaming specialization route. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The Win32 API is Windows specific too. Are you going to complain about that? The API is open enough. Anyone can download the specs. It is part of MSDN. No big secrets there. It isn't a trade secret (like many other APIs of MS). So stop spreading false rumours.
Note that DX is NEVER used for non-gaming / non - multimedia purposes. OpenGL is always preferred there.

exactly--opengl is focusing on a differenet sector--whereas M$ is into personal computing segment-otherwise so far we have Lindows running on most of our PCs instead of windows--n we will frag there

KingKrool said:

As for making it Windows specific, well what did you expect? OpenGL was the "open" spec, and they had no interest (at the time) in going down the gaming specialization route. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The Win32 API is Windows specific too. Are you going to complain about that? The API is open enough. Anyone can download the specs. It is part of MSDN. No big secrets there. It isn't a trade secret (like many other APIs of MS). So stop complaining for no reason.

when did i say that vista is shipped with broken OGL? I just said that Microsoft had refused to support OGL natively before the Vista launch but some 3rdparty developer did it and now Vista fully supports OpenGL.

Regarding the windows specific part, i just wanted to say that Microsoft could have developed the new graphics API meant for gaming as a cross-platform API (like OGL) but they decided against it (for obvious reasons: Microsoft always believes in monopoly).

Furthermore, with Vista they have reached the height of monopoly and forcing users to migrate to Vista if they wanna play DX10 games. Now you would say that DX10 is a completely revamped API with depends quite a bit on Vista and it's not possible to use it in XP.

My answer to that is that as a consumer i don't give a shit. Why should i buy a new OS to play DX10 games, when i have already bought a DX10 graphics card and DX10 games? The thing here is about company moral and just to sell their latest crap OS Vista (everybody is happy with XP) they are forcing users especially gamers to migrate to Vista.

KingKrool said:

i pretty much do know what im talking about.

Back in those days, hardware rendering was not as big a thing as it is nowadays. this was thanks to the extremely high costs of hardware graphics accelerators. A lot of work in the consumer market used to be handled by software renderers. MS was actively trying to prove to the world at large that directx's software renderer was a much better platform for coders thanks to its effecient coding and what not.

MS came up with a bunch of numbers that were obtained from inhouse tests conducted with the OGL software renderer implemented by them.

they started crowing around about how direct3d was better and what not.

at this point in time, SGI had been going through a lot of issues right from MS quitting on them over the future support for opengl on windows. they came up with a optimized software renderer of their own known as CosmoGL. they went to SIGGRAPH 96 with CosmoGL and challenged MS to an open comparison where the community could see the tests, procedures and results transparently.

CosmoGL ended matching if not outperforming DirectX in almost every comparison that was conducted. however, all these things took so long in happening that graphics hardware finally began to catch up.. inexpensive hardware started to become much more widely available and software renders started to become defunct...

the basic point im trying to make here is... there was nothing in OpenGL that prevented it from becoming an accepted platform for game development. just that MS nipped it in the bud..

montylee said:
My answer to that is that as a consumer i don't give a shit. Why should i buy a new OS to play DX10 games, when i have already bought a DX10 graphics card and DX10 games? The thing here is about company moral and just to sell their latest crap OS Vista (everybody is happy with XP) they are forcing users especially gamers to migrate to Vista.

I have an idea - replace DX10 with 64 bit, and graphics card with CPU. Now, will you stick to that argument? You know, you can also claim that the whole idea of Windows NT based kernels was bad and unfair - they should have built protection into DOS. I'm sorry, but the argument doesn't really hold water. In the end DX10 is not really as dependent on Vista as it could have been (they made last minute changes for NVidia). You might have had some points if you claimed that (though even there I have no sympathies).

Regarding the windows specific part, i just wanted to say that Microsoft could have developed the new graphics API meant for gaming as a cross-platform API (like OGL) but they decided against it (for obvious reasons: Microsoft always believes in monopoly).

I still don't get what you mean. The DirectX API is no secret (though I don't doubt there are patents you need to get around). Everyone knows what it says. The WINE guys even implement part of it. In what way has MS made it so Windows specific? In what way is OpenGL so portable? Do you know why and how OpenGL is portable? Because people choose to port it other OSes, and did so right from the beginning. The first people who even looked to port DirectX was when WINE decided they needed to for Linux. This was way after DX was developed and released. When you keep on saying "develop cross-platform", what changes would you have them make? What part of DX do you find so Windows specific that no one else can implement it? Or is some portion of it hidden? BTW, which other OSes were there back then that might have signed up for the cause of gaming and home users? UNIX was not for home users. Linux barely existed. And MacOS was pretty much down the drain back then.

the basic point im trying to make here is... there was nothing in OpenGL that prevented it from becoming an accepted platform for game development. just that MS nipped it in the bud..

Nipped it in the bud with what? They didn't cripple OpenGL. They weren't even making it. Games were free to use it (guess what, all of ID's stuff has been OpenGL and they have had the biggest hits ever), people were free to distribute their own OpenGL renderers etc. If they nipped it in the bud, they did it because their product was more relevant. It took a long time for OpenGL to catch up. Now they are pretty much on par feature wise. This is because OpenGL has worked to make itself relevant again.

inexpensive hardware started to become much more widely available and software renders started to become defunct...

See, you said it yourself. Software renderers became defunct. MS moved quickly to establish parameters for the gfx card vendors, and ways for them to implement and use the DX API. What was wrong with that?

montylee said:

I think for that M$ needs to join hands with other biggies like Sony,Intel,AMD,Nvidia

even in DX9 games plays better thn DX10//M$ is always in hurry to release half cooked products making some quick cashhh--later on they will keep fixing their faulty products m deleting threads of public forum complaining abt them

KingKrool said:
Nipped it in the bud with what? They didn't cripple OpenGL. They weren't even making it.

the default ogl implementation which shipped with windows was made by MS and it was crippled....

There is one point people are missing here. MS is not a non-profit organization. Whatever they do, they do it to make money.

Kumar said:
There is one point people are missing here. MS is not a non-profit organization. Whatever they do, they do it to make money.
agreed--they have to answer their shareholder-but their moral is very cheapoo

KingKrool said:
I have an idea - replace DX10 with 64 bit, and graphics card with CPU. Now, will you stick to that argument? You know, you can also claim that the whole idea of Windows NT based kernels was bad and unfair - they should have built protection into DOS. I'm sorry, but the argument doesn't really hold water. In the end DX10 is not really as dependent on Vista as it could have been (they made last minute changes for NVidia). You might have had some points if you claimed that (though even there I have no sympathies).

what reply is this? i can't understand a word of it:bleh:. You are saying that "In the end DX10 is not really as dependent on Vista as it could have been", so why are they giving it on Vista only? Isn't this a clear attempt to sell of their crappy OS which no one wants? If DX10 is not that dependent on Vista, then why haven't they released on XP too?

KingKrool said:
I still don't get what you mean. The DirectX API is no secret (though I don't doubt there are patents you need to get around). Everyone knows what it says. The WINE guys even implement part of it. In what way has MS made it so Windows specific? In what way is OpenGL so portable? Do you know why and how OpenGL is portable? Because people choose to port it other OSes, and did so right from the beginning. The first people who even looked to port DirectX was when WINE decided they needed to for Linux. This was way after DX was developed and released. When you keep on saying "develop cross-platform", what changes would you have them make? What part of DX do you find so Windows specific that no one else can implement it? Or is some portion of it hidden? BTW, which other OSes were there back then that might have signed up for the cause of gaming and home users? UNIX was not for home users. Linux barely existed. And MacOS was pretty much down the drain back then.

i agree with the most part you said but i am not sure if DX source is available to everyone as in case of OpenGL. Only DX SDK is available. You said that OpenGL is portable bcoz people choose to port it to other OSes from the beginning.

According to my knowledge, OpenGL was developed by SGI (Silicon Graphics) by the name of IrisGL on Unix (After sometime they open sourced it and changed the name to OpenGL). Since it was developed in unix, it automatically worked on all unix flavors and mostly windows too. But same can't be said about the DX code in windows.

Regarding DX API secrecy, i think the DX API is closed unlike OpenGL so developers have to write their own code for each corresponding DX API. Here's the definition of Wine i got from the Wine site:

Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available.

So, i think all the code for wine is written from scratch and there's nothing special that Microsoft has done to ease the development. I think DX only provides the relevant API's to do the stuff but the logic behind the API is hidden.

So, ur argument that DX API is no secret and MS hasn't made it window specific is not clear to me.

but i am not sure if DX source is available to everyone as in case of OpenGL

Well, you put your foot in it there. OpenGL is not open source GL. There is nothing which makes it open source. People may have written open source versions of it. Doesn't make it inherently open source. If that is your argument then DX is equally open source (since WINE wrote an open source version of it).

The fact is, open sourcing DX would not help WINE much. The issues they have to deal with are not really affected by the fact that they don't know the source. And why exactly should they open source it anyway? Because you want them to? It is amazing how people can behave nowadays. MS isn't forcing any open source projects to close off their code. So you don't really have a right to demand that they open their source. If you don't appreciate their closed source, don't use it.

what reply is this? i can't understand a word of it. You are saying that "In the end DX10 is not really as dependent on Vista as it could have been", so why are they giving it on Vista only? Isn't this a clear attempt to sell of their crappy OS which no one wants?

Sorry that you can't understand basic English. My answer was in two points:

1. That you can't just demand that because you bought a card and a game that the OS manufacturer bend over to help you out. Microsoft never promised you a damned thing about getting DX10 on XP. As an example I said, replace DX10 with 64 bit CPU and say to yourself "I bought a 64 bit CPU and a 64 bit game!! MS should give me a free 64 bit OS!"

2. That they perhaps are not as dependent on Vista with DX10 as they should have been. I criticise the decisions they made that allowed that. But that doesn't change anything. And I'll show you why.

If DX10 is not that dependent on Vista, then why haven't they released on XP too?

Oh, and while we are at it, can they add it to Win 2000, Win 98, Win 95, DOS and Xenix? Tell me, why should they go ahead and make such an effort to port DX10 which is architected around Vista (though not completely dependent on it), and then rewrite it to fit XP, a platform that they do not wish to support? They supported XP for more than 5 years. In the computer world, if you want support beyond that, you buy a mainframe OS. Don't believe me? Try finding updates for Red Hat 9.

Adding DX10 to XP would have been difficult. Not impossible. But difficult. It costs a lot of money. Why would they do that? Everything that MS develops, they are forced to support. So they can't just release a quick and dirty version of DX10. If they had done that, people like you would be screaming "DX10 on XP is deliberately crippled as compared to Vista!!! OMG!!!!"

So, ur argument that DX API is no secret and MS hasn't made it window specific is not clear to me.

I can't make it any clearer. What is it, that you say MS should do, to make it easier for others to implement DX? Implement it for them? And why should they do that anyway? Even in the EU, where they have been told to release their APIs, your argument would not hold. Because they HAVE released their APIs. Everyone knows them. And what they are supposed to do.

And in fact, people CAN implement DX. Don't believe me? What the hell do you think NVidia and ATI do in their drivers? They are literally implementing DX. Really. Their drivers consist basically of calls to hardware routines in their gfx cards to implement the various APIs of DX (that is, rather than use the pure s/w version of DX, they hook in and replace the functions with ones that make calls to the hardware). Seems that if they can do it, other people should be able to too. Sure, this reply is a very simplistic view of a complicated architecture (stuff doesn't happen exactly as I put it), but it is sufficient for this forum. If you want to know more, you can read the graphics card driver reference. You can find it on MS's site. Just go download KMDF. It is a free download.

I think DX only provides the relevant API's to do the stuff but the logic behind the API is hidden

Have you ever programmed a computer? To do anything? Even "Hello World"? The API provides (for each function):

1. Function Signature

2. What the function does.

3. API ordering semantics if any.

If it did not, how do you think anyone would ever use it? And thousands of game devs use it. In case you don't realize - those 3 points above are the logic

That is how a spec is written BTW. And that is how MS develops it too - they write the spec first, then the developers take the spec and implement it. Their internal specs are more detailed; that is because they contain justification for design decisions, caveats and implementation specific information. None of which you would need to reimplement DX (as a whole).

Tell me, do you know what printf in C does? If so, can you implement it for yourself, without looking at the current library source code? I can. So can any programmer. The specification of printf in a man page (or MSDN) or the C standard is sufficient to be able to do so. MS's documentation for DX is sufficient too. If you can understand what it does, you can write a version too. It may be somewhat buggy; guess what - so is MS's version.

When people burn MS for Vista and DX10, I'm suprised that they aren't screaming at MS for making DX 10.1 the real DX10. That is the real complaint people should be making.

montylee said:
what reply is this? i can't understand a word of it:bleh:. You are saying that "In the end DX10 is not really as dependent on Vista as it could have been", so why are they giving it on Vista only? Isn't this a clear attempt to sell of their crappy OS which no one wants? If DX10 is not that dependent on Vista, then why haven't they released on XP too?
Microsoft did not release DirectX10 for XP because it was part of their marketing to sell Vista. They wanted to give some exclusivity to Vista and hence didn't release Dx10 for XP. Its technically very easily possible for Microsoft to make Dx10 for XP, but then they would have to manage 2 different versions of the same API and mayb they saved the pain...

...And even I didnt understand a lot of stuff from KingKrool's post !!

KingKrool said:
Sorry that you can't understand basic English. My answer was in two points:
1. That you can't just demand that because you bought a card and a game that the OS manufacturer bend over to help you out. Microsoft never promised you a damned thing about getting DX10 on XP.
2. That they perhaps are not as dependent on Vista with DX10 as they should have been. I criticise the decisions they made that allowed that. But that doesn't change anything. And I'll show you why.
Now even I can understand... and I apologize I didn't understand plain English earlier.. :(
KingKrool said:
Oh, and while we are at it, can they add it to Win 2000, Win 98, Win 95, DOS and Xenix? Tell me, why should they go ahead and make such an effort to port DX10 which is architected around Vista (though not completely dependent on it), and then rewrite it to fit XP, a platform that they do not wish to support? They supported XP for more than 5 years. In the computer world, if you want support beyond that, you buy a mainframe OS. Don't believe me? Try finding updates for Red Hat 9.
I guess you chose the wrong example to compare XP and redHat 9. XP is still widely used and support for XP ends close to 2 yrs after the release of Vista... and it isn't RedHat's mistake that it took Microsoft 5 yrs to make Vista... and since they didnt have anything else to sell, why should they have supported XP for 5 years??

sunbiz_3000 said:
Its technically very easily possible for Microsoft to make Dx10 for XP

It is technically feasible for them to do it. But I wouldn't say it is easy.

Especially because updates to DX10 (remember DX 9a, 9b and 9c, i.e. multiple iterations of DX 9?) cannot be ported to XP. There is no way to properly support virtualized gfx memory in XP without massive changes to the driver model, which can break a lot of stuff, or require practically porting a lot of Vista's kernel over. MS had to change their whole driver model in Vista to be able to provide that.

And no, I am not just parroting stuff I have read. Having first hand seen the change in the driver model (I have programmed kernel mode drivers for Win 2k3), I was suprised by how different Vista's model was from XP's. It is much, much easier to write a driver for Vista, but the requirements to write a good driver are much stricter.

I guess you chose the wrong example to compare XP and redHat 9. XP is still widely used and support for XP ends close to 2 yrs after the release of Vista... and it isn't RedHat's mistake that it took Microsoft 5 yrs to make Vista... and since they didnt have anything else to sell, why should they have supported XP for 5 years??

Yes. Support ends 2 years after Vista sales started. That means that they provide reliability and security fixes. Not feature upgrades! Your car manufacturer probably provides spare parts for your mid 90's car. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't provide you with a factory approved central locking system (which it does provide to the dealers to fit in a new car).

I agree with KingKrool. You cannot expect microsoft to cater to the open source community. Secondly, Windows Vista is not pushed down anyones throat. If you want to use it you use it, else pass it on.

Every company is out there to make money. Had it not been Microsoft it would have been some other company we would be complaining against today.

We tend to buy every new processor/gpu out there in the market but people seldom do the same with OS. Actually most of the people complain about the OS and Microsoft without having the legal copy of the same.

KingKrool has got it right on the updates part as well. I'm glad that I do not have to fork out $129 for a service pack /update.

KingKrool said:
It is technically feasible for them to do it. But I wouldn't say it is easy.
Especially because updates to DX10 (remember DX 9a, 9b and 9c, i.e. multiple iterations of DX 9?) cannot be ported to XP. There is no way to properly support virtualized gfx memory in XP without massive changes to the driver model, which can break a lot of stuff, or require practically porting a lot of Vista's kernel over. MS had to change their whole driver model in Vista to be able to provide that.
And no, I am not just parroting stuff I have read. Having first hand seen the change in the driver model (I have programmed kernel mode drivers for Win 2k3), I was suprised by how different Vista's model was from XP's. It is much, much easier to write a driver for Vista, but the requirements to write a good driver are much stricter.

I agree about the driver model for Vista and I had tried the LDDM all through the time it was being called Longhorn... But you really don't need a complete rewrite of the driver model to support Dx10... and definately not a kernel port... If you look at the Alky project (which shutdown a month back) and their code, you'll realize they did a pretty good job with Dx10!!

Back