Audio Do iPods have poor sound quality?

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Desecrator said:
Offlately I've seen him criticising almost every hardware out there - the GTX480, some of the newer cans, DACs and what not!
It appears he has just tested the Touch, no confirmation as yet whether the Clip & D2 are neutral or not.

Desecrator said:
oConstructive criticism is welsome.
Right, so let see what he got to say to back it up with. If its just a question of taste then no worries.

Haste said:
Just wanted to convey the message that not everybody wants an accurate sounding player...get the player which suits ur musical taste personally...
Nice post :)

I have an old tehnics cd-player, when i burn any mp3s to CD-r and play them back it sounds amazing. I read it got 8 times over sampling.

If i could get a player or a sound card, dac that did as well then i'd be happy for long time :)

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
SunnyBoi said:
Well I'm a newbie idiot who says a Clip+ sounds better than a D2. I've sued UE triple fi 10, AT ESW9, Denon D5000 and for every headphone, the clip+ sounded better.

What would you like to have? a player that sounds good on paper or a player that sounds good in your ears? ;)

^Sunny, sound is very subjective - and what sounds better to you, will not sound as good to someone else. It's not about the equipment, although we have access to very good equipment. It's also about your ears, and how well trained they are to instruments. Nothing teaches you music like being a musician...you'll never know how that note would sound till you produce it.

I have not tested a Sansa Clip so I cannot comment. I have, however, owned a Cowon D2 4 GB and an Apple iPod Touch - and can definitely comment on these. In my opinion, the iPod Touch has a touch more detail to the highs and a touch less warmth to the bass. Now this, IMO is not a bias - for it is the D2 that has a slight bias towards bass and against treble. This is because Cowon wanted an intimate mid-range - slightly more lush than the Touch or Classic (haven't spent much time with other pods). The graininess in the highs in some tracks with the D2s that I have tested is a result of it rolling off before the frequency of the note is hit (highs), but the reason is speculation on my part, though the problem is noticeable with some tracks.

The Touch also resolves some finer detail better, and less underlines certain guitar notes (like Clapton), where the D2 tries injects emotiveness, the Touch is more honest. This seems more accurate for someone who has played such musical instruments, for you know when you're listening to something that wasn't meant to be there. Try playing organ symphonies on the D2 and you'll find a few more flaws.

@ your answer - I would rather have a neutral player (source) and add other components to make a bias. After all, you may use your PMP with just cans, some might use an amp and cans. If you start with a warm player (for example) and add a warm amp and then warm cans - you get the picture?

^Desecrator (Gannu) - I'm surprised...You're not picking anything apart, because you simply don't seem to know enough to do so, or are being obtuse. I have not tried to be derogatory about anyones gear. Besides, on topic of bad mouthing the GTX 480 - I just tested two and was pretty impressed - their dissipation apart ;) If I were to conclude results as I felt like, I'd have to seek a job as a software programmer or something ;)

Did I criticise a can or DAC you bought? I reiterate: If it's a DAC, and it's under 400$ - it's crap to me lol. Obviously nobody was born with such gear, though my dad loves his audio gear too, but some of us move up the chain - some don't...You sound like a disgruntled woman

@ blr_p - he can't find anything / doesn't know enough to nit, so he chooses to gripe about it, and is trying to make it seem like a flaunt on my part, which is wasn't. BTW there's something about CD players and listening to music on a disc that makes it sound so much better. I love my CD player too, and am upgrading it. Their DACs are pretty simple things, but since they're dedicated components, they do their job really well. No arguments :) You should take your CDs and go to a CambridgeAudio, Denon and Marantz outlet and try their CD players - wonderful. I spent a happy weekend doing this...

@ Greenhorn, I used the sound meter app at first, this was with no load.

Then I proceeded to use a high sensitivity microphone loaned to me by a friend. With this, the load was a Grado SR225. I loved the mic - this thing actually picked up a whisper in a 15 x 12 room. It was a Sennheiser, forget the model, could ask the guy and tell you if you want to know.

@ Haste - iAudio 7 is good VFM. iTunes is sh1t, tell me about it...

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
Why i asked was, anything can show a gloriously flat response curve if you test it without loading. its only when you load something that the output starts drooping.

More than the equipment, its how the test was conducted that I'm interested in :)

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
greenhorn said:
Why i asked was, anything can show a gloriously flat response curve if you test it without loading. its only when you load something that the output starts drooping.

More than the equipment, its how the test was conducted that I'm interested in :)

The microphone tests were loaded, only the software was not. I saw no point, any load would not register when the software is on the device, am I correct in assuming this? Sangram also welcome here - love your advice man.

@ GH, I'm glad you pointed that out. 100% true. But then, theoretically, if a D2 was already skewed sans load, it would skew more. There were also some spikes on the D2 with the SR225. Using a high impedance can would be useless.

BTW will run this again with default earphones for my own knowledge - you've piqued my curiosity about just how much the deviation will be with different earphones/headphones. Maybe I should use the A900s that are slightly harder to drive. Will also try this after a week with my new toy.

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
If the D2 has a boost applied to its output even when everything was set to flat, then yeah, I agree with you.

Since you're curious, here are some results I got when testing with a few stuff i got my hands on :p

Budget Headphone Group Test - Reviews and Previews | TechEnclave

T.sonic 630 Vs 610 - Reviews and Previews | TechEnclave

I used a splitter,1 output -> headphone, 1 output -> Soundcard , with the mp3 player playing the test tones.

The microphone tests were loaded, only the software was not. I saw no point, any load would not register when the software is on the device, am I correct in assuming this?

Didnt understand this bit :ashamed:

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
The first test (without load) was using a software called Sound Meter, available for the iphone and ipod touch.

The second test, where I used a headphone consisted of a microphone. Interestingly, when there was an increase in volume from 15 to 25 on the D2, the curve deviates quite a bit. I tested using 100% volume, which I take it is the only way to test when using a digital attenuator.

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
is it this one ?

SoundMeter

Appears to be turn the iWhatever into a sound measuring instrument. Does it/the iphone support loopback playback/recording ?

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.
Ipods imo don't have inferior SQ but they are highly overpriced for what they offer..... apple sells on hype... sleep looking gadgets... white coloured... style etc etc bullcrap...

Apple reduced the price of shuffle after the launch of Sansa Clip.. before that they were selling the 1gb version for more than 5k i guess :eek:

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
greenhorn said:
is it this one ?

SoundMeter

Appears to be turn the iWhatever into a sound measuring instrument. Does it/the iphone support loopback playback/recording ?

Yes it is.

This was something really silly I tried at home; fooling around on a weekend. I have the iphone and ipod touch 64GB. Dead silent room, hooked up the default earphones to the touch, fired up the app on the phone. It was fun to try. I got a slightly better reading when I kept the iphone suspended upside down above the touch's earphones and the built in loudspeaker in turns. The mic on the iphones handsfree kit can also be used, from what I read - never tried this. I bought the app for 20 US$, office refunded!

The other test, with the mic and the Grados was done in office, obviously when I spoke about the touch being neutral, or very close, I was referring to this test and not my "experiment" ;) above.

Nope to the last query.

desiibond

Skilled
Jan 19, 2009
Rockfella said:
Ipods imo don't have inferior SQ but they are highly overpriced for what they offer..... apple sells on hype... sleep looking gadgets... white coloured... style etc etc bullcrap...
Apple reduced the price of shuffle after the launch of Sansa Clip.. before that they were selling the 1gb version for more than 5k i guess :eek:

Except for ipod shuffle, pricing of other ipods is pretty good.

Take ipod touch for example. 8Gb ipod Touch when compared to Cowon 8Gb is lot more faster, has lot more functionality, better features (except display). Also, the ipod ecosystem is lot better than Cowons. Oh wait, Cowon Doesn't have an ecosystem. They just sell player, that's it! So, how can ipod touch be overpriced when it costs just 1k-1.5k more than S9?

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
I dont think using the headphone -> mic route would be the best test of linear frequency response when the mic has a response which look like this

iPhoneMicComp.png

and the headphones look like

graphCompare_php.png

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
greenhorn said:
I dont think using the headphone -> mic route would be the best test of linear frequency response when the mic has a response which look like this

iPhoneMicComp.png

and the headphones look like

graphCompare_php.png

ipod earphones and SR225s ;) did I mention I was fooling around with the software

But for curiosity, and my knowledge, what would you use with an external microphone?

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
I would not use it at all, I would run the line out directly to the input of the measuring device , and maybe add a load in parallel via a splitter if required - 16 ohm or so resistive loads.

I'd use a mic only if testing a speaker/headphone/room frequency response , and that too after calibrating it.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
greenhorn said:
I would not use it at all, I would run the line out directly to the input of the measuring device , and maybe add a load in parallel via a splitter if required - 16 ohm or so resistive loads.
Thats the first thing that came to mind :)

..and this is wrt to the grados & mic in the office test.

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
Measurements

looks reasonably good :)

What can we conclude from all of this? Basically the iPod behaves electrically very linear over whole its frequency range. If the impedance of the headphone doesn't drop too low, or has significant deviations, I don't expect too much issues. The treble in each case is a bit emphasized, so the uplift in treble is magnified a bit. This might hint at the reason why devices with a slightly attenuating curve have the tendency of sounding more natural, as this compensates for the inductive behavior of the speaker units.

=probably why we think of them as bright

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Thats for the 6G isn't it ?

No mention of the Touch in that link or the word 'neutral'

desiibond

Skilled
Jan 19, 2009
Do we really need an audio analyzer to find out if a player sounds neutral/flat? I don't think so. Good pair of ears can easily catch this part.

Best example would be:

1) ipod touch + Sony MDR-EX35LP. sounds neutral. not much bass and not much treble

2) ipod touch + sennhieser CX200 II Sport. sounds bit more bassy. though eq is flat, these earphones produce a bit extra bass.

3) ipod touch + MX-5021. excellent on mids and highs and not boomy.

4) ipod touch + Z-2300. boom boom boom. you know .......

5) ipod touch + creative SBS and other low end speakers. treble, treble and treble. yuck!

I like few, prefer playing songs on flat equalizer settings as I don't want any changes to the audio signature. And cowon D2 simply sucked at this. This player needs lot of customization and also one setting that is suitable for all genres which is a bit tricky.

ipod touch on the other hand sound better than Cowon D2 (both on flat equalizer and without any enhancements).

Once the proper settings are set in Cowon D2, it goes far ahead of ipod touch. The sound becomes louder, clearer and either bassy or tinny whichever is preferred. This amount of customization is not possible in ipod Touch. And what ipod touch can do, cowon players can't do. Thanks to wifi, apps, there is lot more that I can do with ipod touch than just playing music or videos. Lie down on couch and chat using apps like Meebo, thanks to excellent keypad and capacitive touch, it is a very good experience and remember, it's better than chatting using a 3kg laptop while sitting on couch.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
desiibond said:
Do we really need an audio analyzer to find out if a player sounds neutral/flat? I don't think so. Good pair of ears can easily catch this part.
You have over inflated impression about your ears and your ability to determine what is neutral or not:eek:hyeah:

desiibond said:
Best example would be:

1) ipod touch + Sony MDR-EX35LP. sounds neutral. not much bass and not much treble
2) ipod touch + sennhieser CX200 II Sport. sounds bit more bassy. though eq is flat, these earphones produce a bit extra bass.
3) ipod touch + MX-5021. excellent on mids and highs and not boomy.
4) ipod touch + Z-2300. boom boom boom. you know .......
5) ipod touch + creative SBS and other low end speakers. treble, treble and treble. yuck!
Unless we know whether the touch is neutral or not adding an extra variable into the equation will just confuse things.

Question is whether the source is neutral or not and whether the method to determine this is valid or not ?

This is why the suggestion was made to connect the player directly to the input of the analyser instead of doing it via the earphones.

desiibond said:
I like few, prefer playing songs on flat equalizer settings as I don't want any changes to the audio signature. And cowon D2 simply sucked at this. This player needs lot of customization and also one setting that is suitable for all genres which is a bit tricky.
Of course its tricky because you will never get another person to agree with you on everything you said here. A graph is objective and if reproducible will be accepted by everyone.

desiibond said:
Once the proper settings are set in Cowon D2, it goes far ahead of ipod touch. The sound becomes louder, clearer and either bassy or tinny whichever is preferred.
We are yet to find out whether the D2 colors the sound or not.