Storage Solutions Do i return the external HDD that arrived via courier?

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
Hi,

I had ordered a 1TB WD my passport external HDD from amazon india, on receiving the package, I noticed that the air bags inside were all deflated and the HDD was moveable inside the package box it came in(you could hear the HDD hit the sides of the box it came in if you moved it sideways)

Now I'm not sure whether to return it or not because the HDD seems to have a good packing from WD, I'm just afraid that the courier wasn't handled delicately and there could be some internal damage that isn't visible. This is my first external HDD.

The Amazon CC person was very polite and asked me to open and check it and then decide to return it, but the whole process will take atleast 2 weeks and i don't have so much time.

Do i run any diagnostics or just return it without opening it? Or is the WD packaging good enough to handle the bumps received while transporting the HDD?

Regards,
nj

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
Bad packaging... In Amazon that,option is there....

But I do want to know if there is a potential for damage to the HDD

topgear

Adept
Aug 15, 2009
Return it on what grounds?

Flipkart does even worse packing for hard drives..

+1 to this .. bought a WD black from FK .. gee. even they pack a cpu in a better way than this :D

@OP - open the pack and check for yourself .. open it or not it will take 2 weeks so you better open it.

tufel

Adept
Feb 25, 2009
Amazon's packing is amazing even for very low priced items. I am not sure what went wrong with yours

prateekS

Skilled
Sep 19, 2012
Mumbai
Amazon's packing is amazing even for very low priced items. I am not sure what went wrong with yours
Was this sarcasm?

Amazon doesn't pack a single thing properly , books come in a plastic cover with no bubble wraps.. Hdds come without protection, mice come without any protection and the latter two are costly items.

topgear

Adept
Aug 15, 2009
Was this sarcasm?

Amazon doesn't pack a single thing properly , books come in a plastic cover with no bubble wraps.. Hdds come without protection, mice come without any protection and the latter two are costly items.

this is even worse than Flipkart but last time I saw amazon global packed a extrenal HDD very nicely though but if they have some different policy for us or internal HDDs then I'll think twice before buying anything from amazon. BTW, the cheap quality packaging you you got fro amazon .. was the product fulfilled by Amazon itself ? just asking to be sure.

prateekS

Skilled
Sep 19, 2012
Mumbai
this is even worse than Flipkart but last time I saw amazon global packed a extrenal HDD very nicely though but if they have some different policy for us or internal HDDs then I'll think twice before buying anything from amazon. BTW, the cheap quality packaging you you got fro amazon .. was the product fulfilled by Amazon itself ? just asking to be sure.
Yes, all my orders were amazon fulfilled, delivered by ACS, amazon courier service..