DIY Tablet

thawfu666

Adept
I'm planning on building a tablet myself and installing Android on it. Here's a list of all the parts that I'm using:
Odroid -XU4
16000 mAh 3A battery
64GB eMMC 5.0
Wifi module
Bluetooth module
USB to Type M Barrel 5V DC Power Cable
USB to DC Plug Cable
Yocto 3D

And still, one of the most vital parts I need, the display is not available. I want a 1080p touchscreen display with an HDMI interface with any screen size ranging between 12-15 inches. I did find a low resolution display on a website, but it would charge me $76 just for the shipping, and the customs and duties are not included in that. (The price of that display is $143). Can anyone help me with the display part? And also, one more thing you probably noticed is the thickness of the board. It is 2.2cm thick, means it is almost twice the thickness of an original iPad. Anybody suggest me some more thinner boards available please?

Thanks a lot!

What you need is the iPad display. It uses displayport (you will need a custom PCB for iPad display to displayport), but some android devices do that as well.

I would suggest to change the board. Pretty sure there are some boards that will support displayport and output more than 1080p.

However, it may be more helpful if you can let us know why the DIY tablet approach.

I haven't found any board which is as powerful enough as Odroid XU4. At least, it's VFM. And I chose the DIY approach because I was bored of the present offerings of various companies. So I wanted to experience the fun of building it. And I actually thought of removing the battery and wall mounting the display. That's why I need a huge display! :)

Nice to see someone giving me company :)[DOUBLEPOST=1451321746][/DOUBLEPOST]At least guys, can anyone suggest a monitor from 20-30 inches which has a full HD resolution, which can be wall-mounted, and is also touchscreen? :)

Last edited:
Okay fine, screw the touch screen. It's priced significantly higher than non-touch versions. I might as well go for a non touch version. Any suggestions? I want it between 10-12k.[DOUBLEPOST=1451579448][/DOUBLEPOST]And any size from 22-30 inches with FHD resolution, with HDMI input and one that has a VESA compatible wall mount ... :)

Back