User Guides DIY Printed Circuit board Making

DIY Printed Circuit board Making.

Printed circuit board or PCB has its vital role in today’s high-tech life. From TV to toys from Computer to mobile, all electrons work with a PCB inside. Commonly a PCB is made up of a fiber board with copper tracks to join different electronic components together so that they can acts as a single unit or circuit. A PCB can have from a single layer of copper connection used in common electronics like toys, in pc mouse etc, or can have up to seven connection layers in single PCB used in Computer motherboard or mobile phone PCB.
Today by this small tutorial I like to share with you the most common process of DIY PCB making at your home. I came to know this process in my school time, but one can Google and find many process of PCB making. Secondly I adopted this process because it’s very easy and low in resources. There is no proper name for this process but generally it’s called “Laser print PCB etchingâ€.
As the name says a laser printout is etched on a blank PCB.
Items needed:
1. PC and a Laser Printer (to design and printout the circuit layout).
2. Toner Transfer Paper (to transfer the toner layout on to the PCB).
3. Blank PCB.
4. Hex blade, zero no. sandpaper and files (to cut the desire piece of PCB, polish and file the rough surface).
5. Lamination Machine.
6. Ferric Chloride and Iso-Propanol.
7. Plastic washing tray and brushes.
8. Drill bits to drill holes on to the PCB for component placement.
Few WARNIGS:-
1. Be very care full when using cutting or drilling tools. If you are not familiar with these tools better get help from a professional.
2. Be very-very careful when working with CHEMICALS. Try not to come in direct contact with the chemical, if so immediately wash the effected body part with lot of running water.
3. For eching process FeCl3 solution is needed. When adding H20 to FeCl3, fumes of HCL is releases which is harmful when inhaled.
Now let’s get started. In this tutorial I am making a 4-channel Fan Controller.
Initial circuit design and layout is done.
43050887.jpg

tt2z.jpg

Now printing the layout on to the toner transfer paper.
59529154.jpg

Now cutting the blank PCB.
img0753j.jpg

img0754cn.jpg

Now use sand paper to make the PCB clean and shiny.
img0755o.jpg

Role the PCB and printout through the lamination machine, this will stick the paper onto the PCB. Now leave the PCB in soap water for an hour and then genteelly peel off the paper. Now PCB has only toner in the form of the circuit layout.
img0756f.jpg

img0757sd.jpg

Now it’s time to bring the chemicals in action.
img0748.jpg

Add some distilled water in a plastic tray. (USE ONLY CHEMICAL DISTILLED WATER) battery water has some acid properly.
img0758ih.jpg

Now add FeCl3 powder.
img0759x.jpg

Hot exothermic reaction, HCL fumes are librated.
img0760o.jpg

Drop the PCB in.
img0761.jpg

Leave it for an Hour.
img0762.jpg

img0763gg.jpg

Look carefully Fecl3 is eating the copper.
img0764x.jpg

img0765d.jpg

img0766t.jpg

After etching only toner is left.
img0767kc.jpg

Clean the PCB with Iso-Propanol.
img0768sb.jpg

img0769t.jpg

This removes the toner and shiny copper tracks are left.
img0770mj.jpg

img0772u.jpg

it’s time to drill some holes. I am using 1mm drill bit and a DC motor for this job.
img0773l.jpg

img0750e.jpg

img0774em.jpg

img0775z.jpg

Done. Your PCB is now ready to be fitted with the components.
img0776qb.jpg

img0777j.jpg

All assembled and undergo testing. Seems everything is fine and the circuit is working perfectly.
img0778bt.jpg

Some pics of final product.
img0779a.jpg

img0780a.jpg

img0781iu.jpg

img0782tq.jpg

This finishes my tutorial. Hope you like it.
I have tried my best to put this tutorial in good shape, but still please ignore any mistakes.
Thanking
Rakesh Sharma

Excellent guide.

I found out that the best paper to use for this is the silicone coated paper that you find on the backside of stickers. I get those A4 size printable stickers - peel off the back paper and use it.

You can also use an electric iron instead of the laminating machine - i use one and it gives good result.

Also to clean the copper clad board you can use scotch brite and dishwash liquid - wash it thoroughly and let it dry. Don't touch the copper surface after cleaning - handle by edges only.

Also, you can use a mixture of Hydrochloric acid (Muriatic acid - used for cleaning toilets) and Hydrogen Peroxide for etching the PCB. Benefit is it does not stain like FeCl3 and also is less corrosive. Also the mixture being clear, you can watch the etching process clearly. If you pass air bubbles through the Hydrochloric acid Hydrogen peroxide mixture while etching (by a small aquarium air pump) the etching process will be faster.

A simple and an effective guide. :)

I had made plenty of DIY circuits using custom made board. Used a nail-polish to mark the tracks and used the ferric-chloride powder in water. Dipped it for an overnight and came out very well. Made use of a manual drill to make the holes. :D

Never ever used these additional HCL and Peroxide solutions. :ashamed:

^Ah okies. Thanks. Essentially, the copper in the board is replaced by chloride ions from either of the solutions.

LOL this was way back during my 10th grade holidays - sometime during 2002. :p

Ah it used to be so much fun. I remember etching boards back in class 9th. However it was not as precise as yours since I used a fine painting brush and enamel paint to cover the PCB. Broke countless drill bits trying to drill those small holes. I guess drilling holes first was a better strategy coz then you can paint around those holes. Instead if you make holes later, then you can mess up and destroy the entire PCB by chipping the metal around just one hole. Nobody told me to use Iso-Propanol to clean the sheets. No wonder it used to look dull after drying out.

Great guide.

wow , nice tutioral ,one more reputation for you, wish i had the time to do it , could u post the prices for the raw materials used

blackbird said:
wow , nice tutioral ,one more reputation for you, wish i had the time to do it , could u post the prices for the raw materials used
Thanks
12x12 inch blank PCB cost about Rs.65/-
500g FeCl3 = Rs.50/-
500ml Iso-Propanol = Rs.65/-

Rest all available @ home.

Very good and simple guide.:hap2:

We used to paint track with oil paint and dip it into solution(I didn't knew name of the solution used :p).

Need more information about your DC Motor drill.

Thanks for your rep.
As per your query, the DC motor is from my old HP inkjet 640c, it's a mabuchi RS-545 model motor, having good torque at 15v dc good to be used for drilling with low diameter bit.
With 1mm drill bit, this motor drills holes in aluminium and copper like cream.

Used small gear to act as chuck nut, fixed the drill-bit with some industrial epoxy resin. And drill machine ready for the job.

Sudarshan_SMD said:
Very good and simple guide.:hap2:

We used to paint track with oil paint and dip it into solution(I didn't knew name of the solution used :p).

Need more information about your DC Motor drill.

Back