OC & Modding DIY @ Home : Suntube Rev 3

*cough* *cough*

been a looooong time.....

led1xt.jpg

remember...thats just one LED :p on a dead 3V battery......

First of all, the picture is too blurry to make out anything. Hold the cam steady in ur hands :p or better yet, get a tripod!

Secondly, its an outright lie. If the battery is dead as u claim it to be, then it cant be powering the LED.. so its not a LED in which case it looks like light from a bed lamp..

hehehe...dead as in dead cmos battery :p still has juice to power the LED....

i had to take it in the night without flash..obviously the pic is blurred :tongue:

well cmon...notice the shadows.....there is only one light source...the LED :p

SunMysore said:
hehehe...dead as in dead cmos battery :p still has juice to power the LED....

Here are some DUMB questons...... What voltage do the LED's need to light up ? I ask because my Antec case has 3 Blue LED's which are connected to a Molex connector on the 5v line. I wanted to change the colours so I tried out a few LED's I have with me and they all burn instantly on power up when they are connected to 5v. Are LED's normally 1.5v ? Can I place 3 or 4 in Series and then connect them to the 5v wires ? Is is posible to get 5v Blue LED's ?

exactly 3V, max 3.3V

obviously the LEDs burn up at 5V, coz u have no resistor in between, so a very high amount of current passes thru, blowing them....even i tried 5V direct on 10 parallel LEDs, all blew :p

3-4 in series...hmm...u need 3-4 resistors too.....note this..whatever line u use, irrespective of 5V 12V or even 3.3V (LEDs blow on 3.3V with no resistors :( ) its is COMPULSORY to use a resistor :)

5V blue LEDs, i saw some which can be overvolted to 5V :eek:hyeah: but still then u need a resistor. The CMOS batteries dont pack that much current to blow the LED, but the PSU sure does ;)

richie ;) do 1 thing. measure the voltage between the blue LEDs of the fan first. then just touch the leads of the new LEDs with that of the fan ones. see if the LEDs glow.

SunMysore said:
exactly 3V, max 3.3V

obviously the LEDs burn up at 5V, coz u have no resistor in between, so a very high amount of current passes thru, blowing them....even i tried 5V direct on 10 parallel LEDs, all blew :p

3-4 in series...hmm...u need 3-4 resistors too.....note this..whatever line u use, irrespective of 5V 12V or even 3.3V (LEDs blow on 3.3V with no resistors :( ) its is COMPULSORY to use a resistor :)

5V blue LEDs, i saw some which can be overvolted to 5V :eek:hyeah: but still then u need a resistor. The CMOS batteries dont pack that much current to blow the LED, but the PSU sure does ;)

richie ;) do 1 thing. measure the voltage between the blue LEDs of the fan first. then just touch the leads of the new LEDs with that of the fan ones. see if the LEDs glow.
Thanks for the info :)

Today I downloaded a lot of pages from the Net on this topic and I have understood the importance of having a resistor between the LED and the PSU. But these pages talk a lot about calculations to be done for the value of resistor to be used. And that is a bit over my head. I dont know an OHM from a Microfarad - or whatever. :O

Can you tell me in plain English what are the normal voltages of LED's and what value of resisitor will I need to use if I connect 3 LED's on a PSU's 5v line.

I want to place these LED's in the front panel of the Antec P160 case - they are not for a fan.

hehehehe.....

normal voltages for LEDs is 3V. more voltage, more light, but at decreased life(remember ocing) but there is a limit...3.3V

AFA the LEDs and resistors r concerned, i'll do a sketch in paint and post...wait....

EDIT : grrr..... 620x280 for BMP??? cmon......this is silly for attachments.....cant even upload a 11.2KB 300x300 pic....

ledconn7jc.png

Back