Disillusioned with a Career in Advertising: What's Next?

zero_cool

Disciple
Hi everyone, I have been working in advertising since 2010. I make under 2 LPM but in six figures which is a decent pay, but in the last couple of years, I feel as if I have been awakened from the matrix of the advertising world and now see the real world that lies beyond. I have become increasingly disillusioned with work that only thrives on cajoling egos. Looking back, I realize I have given a lot to this industry: missed my cousin's wedding, my sister's birthday lunch, endured 84-hour work weeks, and eroded away my self-respect. The rewards often amount to more work, an appraisal, or an award or two, which nobody values. Heck, nobody even cares about ads nowadays; they're just a nuisance that people actively try to avoid. This begs the question: is it even worth it? When I reflect, I realize I have always been a misfit in this industry and have often sought change as a remedy for my frustration. But now, at 35, I have come to terms with the fact that I cannot find happiness in this work.
Here are some experiments I have meddled with:
  • Trying to learn C, but I often find it gets complicated fast, and I find myself lost at times. Still a work in progress.
  • CS50 (Another endeavor to up-skill, but I've been unable to move past Week 2).
  • Pursuing an MBA (I need to work on achieving a decent GMAT score and then invest a year or two for the degree).
  • Considering a data analytics-related job in the same industry by learning VBA, SQL, and Tableau. However, my pay might be a hindrance.
I do acknowledge that I lack an engineering degree and have only studied basic calculus, which was the highest level of math I pursued until Class 12 when I was in the science stream. I am not averse to learning. I don't have the habit of looking back and regretting my past, nor do I have any vices like binge-watching shows or smoking, so I am focused on bringing about a change. What I lack is time and dedication. It's difficult to study every day, which is necessary for slow learner like me, while striking a balance with a demanding job. I feel like time is not on my side, as I believe I passed my prime years long ago.
So, with all that said, I need suggestions from those who are not from CS, engineering, or IT backgrounds and who have learned a skill on their own to change jobs in a different industry.

Last edited:
tough to change careers at 35, not that it cannot be done.
MBA and moving over to marketing or management side of things would be your best bet. But as you move up the ladder, issues of time and work pressure will remain or increase.
but with good companies, you get time off and vacations/workations that can be better. I used to be a head of digital in big companies and had similar issues you posted.
now I am head of marketing that has made the situation, better in terms of having a good life with money, time off and role and responsibilities.
I dont know about tech careers in detail to be able to answer what you posted.

Looking back, I realize I have given a lot to this industry: missed my cousin's wedding, my sister's birthday lunch, endured 84-hour work weeks, and eroded away my self-respect. The rewards often amount to more work, an appraisal, or an award or two, which nobody values.
Thats why I preach- In corporate, even if you sleep with your manager or ceo, your place, perks, hikes and promotions aren't guaranteed!
Hence, work only for the time you are hired for and the rest its your foolish decision cause once you show you can extend there's no stopping and you then cant give any excuses!

I have always valued my personal space and always abide by the time-- My mantra is pretty straight- "You will get only this much for this much money" /इतना पैसा में इतना ही मिलेगा!

Now, you or others will argue that its easier said than done but every start is a bit difficult buts once it becomes your habit or a routine, things fall in place. I have changed 20+ people attitude in last 6 months in my office and they are very thankful to me and will suggest the same to anyone who I find is living a slavery corporate life!

Remember: You are just hired for a typical 8-9hr work, they haven't bought your entire life nor you owe them anything unless you actually signed some slavery bond/contract!

Heck, nobody even cares about ads nowadays; they're just a nuisance that people actively try to avoid.
Not true, the ad spamming is growing like a virus but there are sufficient tools to bypass them and that what a user is looking for.

This begs the question: is it even worth it? When I reflect, I realize I have always been a misfit in this industry and have often sought change as a remedy for my frustration. But now, at 35, I have come to terms with the fact that I cannot find happiness in this work.
Careers even change at 50, you just need to have the zeal, a focused path/decision and sufficient capital to support your family during this trial and error period.

• Trying to learn C, but I often find it gets complicated fast, and I find myself lost at times. Still a work in progress.
    Considering a data analytics-related job in the same industry by learning VBA, SQL, and Tableau. However, my pay might be a hindrance.
By now if you feel you can code or understand DB then continue else switch to a different thing..

• Pursuing an MBA (I need to work on achieving a decent GMAT score and then invest a year or two for the degree).
No need to go the full-time hassles..part-time is equally worthy and even distance esp. when someone already holds a good amount of industry exp.

I do acknowledge that I lack an engineering degree and have only studied basic calculus, which was the highest level of math I pursued until Class 12 when I was in the science stream. I am not averse to learning. I don't have the habit of looking back and regretting my past, nor do I have any vices like binge-watching shows or smoking, so I am focused on bringing about a change. What I lack is time and dedication. It's difficult to study every day, which is necessary for slow learner like me, while striking a balance with a demanding job. I feel like time is not on my side, as I believe I passed my prime years long ago.
So, with all that said, I need suggestions from those who are not from CS, engineering, or IT backgrounds and who have learned a skill on their own to change jobs in a different industry.
Doesn't matter.. I'm also not from an Eng. background yet in a engineer job. Just had the zeal to do something into IT and all self-learning and this is where I'm yet not much happy as struggles continue just like any other job..

Hi everyone, I have been working in advertising since 2010. I make under 2 LPM but in six figures which is a decent pay, but in the last couple of years, I feel as if I have been awakened from the matrix of the advertising world and now see the real world that lies beyond. I have become increasingly disillusioned with work that only thrives on cajoling egos. Looking back, I realize I have given a lot to this industry: missed my cousin's wedding, my sister's birthday lunch, endured 84-hour work weeks, and eroded away my self-respect. The rewards often amount to more work, an appraisal, or an award or two, which nobody values. Heck, nobody even cares about ads nowadays; they're just a nuisance that people actively try to avoid. This begs the question: is it even worth it? When I reflect, I realize I have always been a misfit in this industry and have often sought change as a remedy for my frustration. But now, at 35, I have come to terms with the fact that I cannot find happiness in this work.
  • CS50 (Another endeavor to up-skill, but I've been unable to move past Week 2).
  • Considering a data analytics-related job in the same industry by learning VBA, SQL, and Tableau. However, my pay might be a hindrance.
If you don't mind saying, which type of advertising did you work with? Offline, social, SEM, etc.?

Back