dilemma: fix faulty laptop or buy a new Budget PC

cybertechie

Disciple
Hi guys,

I have a dell Inspiron 1525. Couple of weeks back the ac adapter died, will set me back by 1.5k to replace one. Was using my brother's ac adapter in the interim, yesterday the laptop wouldnt boot so ran the dell diagnostics and found that the HDD is bad too :huh:
DVD drive and the battery is already dead. So it will be cost me at least 5,000( without battery) RS to bring this laptop to life. I was in a dilemma wheather to fix it or go for a budget desktop. I already have a Monitor, UPS, KB and mouse. Just need a decent tower. My Budget is 10 to 12 k.
Q: What is your budget?
10 -12k

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Dell 1525 with 1.6 Ghz core to duo processsor and 2 gigs of ram with no dedicated video card.
I also have another old desktop and will be keeping 15inch Samsung LCD monitor, KB, MOUSE and UPS

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - Samsung 15inch
KB MOUSE AND UPS

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Will prefer AMD based configurations.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

Will upgrade to a better monitor, Video card and SMPS

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
New Delhi
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
NO

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Light Gaming like COD 4 etc
Browsing
Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
prefer AMD based configs

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Strategy - Old games like Call of duty 4

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1280x728 or 1024x768

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 32 Bit or windows xp. Will prefer windows xp

Back