Laptops Dell XPS Series with Core 2 Duo in Dell US site

Hey superczar, DELL India website has some issues which makes http://dell.co.in worthless. www.dell.co.in is only the way.

It was actually a friend of mine who pointed out this issue with Dell India Website. I always used to key in dell.co.in in opera and it used to add the TechEnclave. part, and I used to believe it had no issues.

Isn't it lame on DELL India part? For a website whos entire business works through their website, they havent fixed this issue since ages!

Just felt like pointing this fact out.

im also eyeing the inspiron 9400 at 77k + tax which includes 17inch and a 7900 GS Go. i'm not sure if i should get it over the XPS though. some help would be appreciated. the problem is i don't know how much portability i would require until i actually get to college in canada. i'm assuming that a 17inch + 7900Go would be too heavy to lug around all the time. can someone confirm this? how about with the stock x1400 that it comes with? would it be any lighter?

Zhopsy, Taxes in Chennai, Delhi and Bangalore are arnd 4%..AFAIK, Bombay is a whopping 10%

And yup Sourabh, that's really lame on Dell's part.. I mean this is a simple DNS problem yet they don't fix it

Ashr, short answer to your question 17"ers aren't' meant to be carried around, nor would you like the experience of carrying one if you had to ;)...ad no, the stock x1400 would not make it any lighter, perhaps a few hundred grams at max

thanks superczar. i'll get the xps with the 7400 Go. i guess that should perform decently enough for current gen games. i'll also try and get an external monitor once i go there to compensate for the lack of screensize.

would you know if there are any other ways to buy one though apart from ordering online?

Zhopsy, 17"ers are huge, let's assume for a second that even if a 17"er were to weigh 1 kg, the bulky form factor would embarass you each time you carry it around on campus...17"ers are good as desktop replacements only...

Ashr, Not really, you need to order online only, though you can mail them a check or DD if your can't or don't want to use a CC

bah, the dell guy told me they take a minimum of 15 days for delivery so there goes my chances of owning a core 2 duo :< i don't think any other laptop brand has that in india.

@superczar, off topic but i noticed that you have a mac mini core duo.. how is the performance? would it be better than my athlon 2800+ 64 desktop? if then i'll go in for a macbook or another core duo laptop.

^^ OT reply : Its a really nice machine, though OS X Isn't meant for gaming ;) and since you are looking at a 7400/7900 Go, I suppose you wouldn't be too happy with it...

would it be better than my athlon 2800+ 64 desktop?

Depends on what you want to do with it

Its amazing for Video Editing/Music playback and as a general usage machine but gaming...as i said before, Big NO NO...

tbh i love macs. os x would be great for work and i can always bootcamp for windows if needed for some games but the lack of a graphics card :<

back onto the topic of core 2 duo laptops.. i just noticed this on the asus site.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

core 2 duo in the processor options. i hope its true. the difference between core 2 duo and core duo is quite big isn't it?

Anandtech had a detailed comparison between core duo and core2 duo on laptops...

The bottomline...expect 10-20% more performance at the same clock, except gaming as the gaming perf on most laptops is GPU bound....

The final conclusion they had was there is no reason to choose a Core Duo over a core2duo , but Don't expect a world of a difference between Core Duo and 2 Duo as compared to a transition from a Northwood (?) Pentium D to a core2

The Asus machine looks quite nice though ...

yea the asus lappy does look nice indeed. im trying to find an asus guy. the website doesnt seem to have any links to shopping.

s'czar ur exactly right... 17 inch WS's are a b**ch to carry around, and look too obtrusive on one's lap... I prefer the 15.4 inch wide displays. More than enough even for gaming and movie watching.

I was about to pull the trigger and saw:

1. Intel Santa Rosa platform due in Q1/Q2 2007
2.Vista due in Jan 2007

Now I am in a dilemma :( :huh:

LOL...Countdown, ther'll always be sumthng new around the corner....The Meroms are good chips and are more than good for Vista combined with even a GMA950...

If Santa Rosa should stop you from pulling the trigger now, something else would stop you in Q2 '07 too....

I picked up a Yonah based XPS even though I knew a Merom based system would be out in 2 months at the same price point.....

You cant keep waiting forever after all...Can you ? :p

Back