dell xps 8100

brainfart

Disciple
1. Q: What is your budget?
1. 78K
2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
NONE
3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
NONE
4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Base Studio XPS 8100 Base
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-870 processor (2.93GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 8MB Cache)
Memory 6GB (2x2GB/2x1GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory
Keyboard Dellâ„¢ Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse (English)
Monitor Dell(TM) SX2210 21.5 " Full HD Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor With Webcam
Video Card 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460
Hard Drive 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
Mouse Wireless Mouse
Optical Drive Single Drive: Blu-ray Disc Combo (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM)
Sound Card Integrated high definition 7.1 channel audio
Speakers Dellâ„¢ 2.1 Multimedia Desktop Speaker System
Wireless Solution Dell 1525 Wireless-N PCIe Card
Dell Services: Hardware Maintenance 1-year XPS Premier Service with 1-year CompleteCover

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. graphics -: 2nd gtx 460

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. Gaming
2. Browsing
3. Desktop Processing
4. HTPC
5. Download rig, 24x7 operation
6. Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
DELL -: at home service
i am getting this config for ~78K
my question is , is it worth going for an XPS.
i am just too lazy to run around for warranty or service issues.( i can do some hard work buying:) )
also can anybody pls help me by providing current SP road prices for above config.

U cant add a 2nd GTX460. Reason

i) It may lack a 2nd PCI-E slot (i-7 870 uses a LGA-1156 board. SO 99.999999% the mobo dell uses will have only 1 PCI-E slot)

ii) The PSU is just 460w one so in case u want to change th GPU to say GTX570 u would need to get a better PSU

iii) Changing the PSU would void warranty :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

For 78k u can get the following,

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Core i-5 760(2.8Ghz, 4 cores) 9600

Motherboard MSI P55-GD65 7900

RAM GSkill 2x2GB F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 1600MHz Kit 3600

HDD 1 TB Seagate 7200.12 2750

CPU Cooler CM Hyper 212+ 1900

GPU 2*Sapphire HD6850 1GB GDDR5 22400

Monitor Samsung P2350 10800

Cabinet CM RC-690 4600

PSU/SMPS Corsair HX650 7500

Key Board Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 1100

Mouse Logitech MX 518 1250

ODD L.G./Samung/ SOny OEM SATA DVD-Writer 950

Speakers Altec Lansing 2.1 VS4121 2900

Total 76600

For the GPU u can also consider getting the HIS HD6970 ~ 22.5k/ MSI GTX 570 ~ 22k if u want a single GPU solution

Ok basically im planning to go for the config suggested by darkangel
But I need some info on the i5 760 vs. i7 950
Is HT worth paying extra 4K + another 3K for LGA 1366 Mobo now?
Maybe I can go for i7 950 now and go for a single GTX 460 now and upgrade as budget permits
I am a moderate gamer, but I may use the rig for video encoding and some 3D stuff
Also need some info on hardware warranty as the guys in SP road do not seem so helpful with this?
Any suggestions on bargaining, can the price be reduced by haggling
Need some suggestions please....

brainfart said:
Ok basically im planning to go for the config suggested by darkangel

But I need some info on the i5 760 vs. i7 950

Is HT worth paying extra 4K + another 3K for LGA 1366 Mobo now?

Maybe I can go for i7 950 now and go for a single GTX 460 now and upgrade as budget permits

I am a moderate gamer, but I may use the rig for video encoding and some 3D stuff

Also need some info on hardware warranty as the guys in SP road do not seem so helpful with this?

Any suggestions on bargaining, can the price be reduced by haggling

Need some suggestions please....
For video encoding etc.... the PhenomII X6 1090T ~ 11k is also a capable performer and u can get a Gigabyte 890GX XFire capable mobo for ~8.2k.

As far as warranty is concerned all the major brands' service center will be available in Blore. U will have to take the item to the service center and get it RMAed.

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/find-your-peripherals-service-centre-details-168949.html

^^

Except if you bought your system from Golccha that is :p, if you seriously plan to do a lot of CPU intensive tasks go for the AMD Hex - cores they can't perform clock-to-clock as good as Intel counterparts but they !^(# them in the case of rendering and compression and you video encoding and 3D stuff and it is cheaper to set up too, no need of dedicated Tri-channel memory and atleast you can put it on a 785G ~ 4.5K based board and get away with it

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News, hope this helps :)

Back