PC Peripherals dell XPS 8100 vs assembling

brainfart

Disciple
hello guys
i want suggestions on buying dell XPS 8100 vs assembling one from SP road bangalore

the rig i configured is

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor (2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 8MB Cache)
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64bit (English)
Monitor Dell™ ST2210 21.5†Full HD Widescreen Monitor
Memory 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz Memory
Hard Drive 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
2nd Hard Drive None
Optical Drive Single Drive:Blu-ray Disc Drive (BD/DVD/CD burner w/double layer BD write
Video Card 1792MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260
Sound Card Integrated high definition 7.1 channel audio
Speakers Dellâ„¢ 2.1 Multimedia Desktop Speaker System
Keyboard Dellâ„¢ Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse (English)
Mouse Wireless Mouse is included in Dellâ„¢ Consumer Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Wireless Solution Dell 1525 Wireless-N PCIe Card

the cost excluding shipping is about 77.5 K

what are your views about the pricing. also how much "upgradable" is this machine. the dell sales guy doesnt know much about the mobo:ashamed:.

if you know to assemble computers and basic troubleshooting of components, running to the service center for RMA etc, then go for an assembled one. it will save a lot of money. else go for the dell one.

in a budget of 77k u can build yourself and i7 rig with a ATI 5870 card. and much more.

the above config you can assemble for about 50-60k

I believe the same or a an equally good rig with be about 50k. Get it yourself and get it assembled if you dont know how to.

Apart from that, chuck the speaker and monitors and get a 24 incher and some other speakers

thanks guys
Assembled pcs are cheaper, however what about tech service? I have gone through other threads detailing how sp road dealers offer crappy service and how they treat customers as shit:mad:. I have had better experience with dell, getting replacements within a day and all.

Does anybody know dealers who offer better and hasslefree service in bangalore ,SP road.

Service will be offered by service center of respective companies.Don't worry much about service, components we recommend here are of brands that offer good after sale service.

Brainfart:

Its not just about assembled PC's being cheaper. Can you / are you ready to chase the deal for assembled PCs. No doubt you would have understood by now, that assembling it will save you quite a bit of money. The backbone of the computer is the motherboard. From your recommendation you have chosen a P55 motherboard. So even if you assemble a computer you will (sic or can) get a similar board. Below you can read a summary of the upgrade options for assembled vs. branded.

CPU:

Both assembled and branded you can go till i7 870 Processor (2.93GHz , 1333MHz FSB, 8MB L2 Cache) CPU. No difference here.

Memory:

4 DIMM slots. No difference here.

HDD:

Upto 8 are available on high end P55 boards. Doubt your board will have this many. But flip-side is..will you ever attach so many individual HDDs. So your branded board should be just as good. Upgrade options are almost similar.

PCI.E x 16:

The 8100 board has one slot, the P55 will give 2. This gives you better upgrade option, but again will you go multi GPU. So here, your upgrade options again are same. New accelerators can be put into both.

Probably the DELL machine will have a native Intel motherboard. Which is quite good. Just that you will not be able to overclock it. If you get a similar assembled system, you save money, if you use the same money as the DELL 8100 you can get a more powerful i7 setup.

But.....

With the DELL option your service will be 'centralized' and on one number. For sure you will get the best or better service than assembled system vendors. With the assembled system, you will directly have to call the dealer for each component, and do the RMA follow up. And frankly speaking --- Indian computer hardware dealers are aheeem...kind of "really really bad". Conniving, lying, deceit, false promises, incorrect time lines are rampant. But that is how most deals are made in India. If you are firm and stern -- it can be done. It is up to you too choose.

If you want to save money (or get a more powerful system) -- choose assembled, places like TE are here...! Best of luck...!

Back