Deleted my LastPass account permanently today.. switched to 1Password.

Futureized

Skilled
Last year made a switch to 1Password, though i did not like there account recovery mechanism.
Which is only possible after using password and secret key combination (loosing any of two means, you account is gone permanently)
Recovery is not possible any other way.
But there android and Windows experience is much better comparatively.

Deleted all items in lastpass 40+ days ago and today deleted the account.
I was not bothered with the hacks etc on lastpass servers, until last year some of my important attachments made over a decade ago were not accesible.
After trying for few days lastpass support simply replied, its not possible to recover those and decided to move on..

Today said a final Bye to this age old product.

why dont u switch to Bitwarden which is free and u can also self host
I have been a Bitwarden user for over 4 years now and it works flawlessly
Good question.
Its a matter of choice when it comes to selection of productivity tools.
My first impression while trying 1password (requested for a 2 months trial account) was really bad initially.
But as started using same more, found it much better then lastpass.
For now, I am stuck with 1Password (unless plan to try Bitwarden later) we cant quickly switch between Productivity Tools like Password Managers.

Is it truly convenient using these password aggregator services? what happens when the password service gets hacked?
Do they have some guarantee or something against losing the data?

Is it truly convenient using these password aggregator services? what happens when the password service gets hacked?
Bitwarden for example hosts its files on Azure, so an Azure hack will leak your vault. When that happens, the risk is that your encrypted passwords will be leaked. Data loss is less of a problem with the redundancy on data centres.

At least, you get a warning of the leaks and can change your password in the meantime, hopefully before anyone manages to successfully decrypt a long salted password.

Again, those proposing self-hosting, it isn't a security feature but instead a risk if not configured properly and exposed to the Internet, as those skilled and willing can much easily crack a self-hosted instance than an Azure server. It is more about security through obscurity in that case, unless you really know what you are doing.

Nothing on internet comes with guarantee (specially when it comes to data security) , people who assure guarantee = stay away from them.
They can do best practices to protect your data, but any loose end and there is a breach..

One of MS Sr. Security guy said 3 decades ago,
"Your PC is only secure from hacks, if its kept 2 inches away from your Internet/LAN" that was best read till day.

Keeping that apart, password managers are very convenient and today, it has become of my daily requirements.

I too deleted my lastpass saved stuff and account completely just yesterday. Have been using bitwarden for 2 yrs and it gets the job done but it still lacks certain lastpass features but no word to complaint for a good freeware!

In lastpass, if I full forms like these it used to store such information as well.
Seems bitwarden doesn't have this feature. Still, want to confirm from bitwarden user if your bitwarden captures/saves these details and are able to fill-in when required.

1713961755895.png

In lastpass, if I full forms like these it used to store such information as well.
Seems bitwarden doesn't have this feature. Still, want to confirm from bitwarden user if your bitwarden captures/saves these details and are able to fill-in when required.
Bitwarden does have form fill feature, though I've always found it a bit lacking compared to LastPass. Doesn't seem to work as well.

While creating a new item, click on Type: Login and change it to identity.

Bitwarden does have form fill feature, though I've always found it a bit lacking compared to LastPass. Doesn't seem to work as well.

While creating a new item, click on Type: Login and change it to identity.
They just did it seems yet unsure how it works. It isn't asking to save such detail when starting afresh.

Back