OC & Modding Dead D5 pump :(

de_Pak

Disciple
So I have been running my water cooling loop successfully for close to 4 years now. (With regular periodical maintenance).
A week ago my pump started making a slight noise. At first I thought it was some fan blade hitting a wire or something. The noise was intermittent and would come and go randomly. Unfortunately, on friday, there a rather loud knocking noise and the pump stopped completely.

Drained my loop and dismantled my pump to find that the rotor has worn out :(
Here are some pics of the pump. The ceramic bearing on the stator looks decent but the part of rotor that sits on the bearing is complete worn out.
rotor_1.jpg rotor_2.jpg stator_1.jpg stator_2.jpg

So does anyone have a spare D5 to sell? Or a dead D5 from which i can salvage the rotor?

PS - In order to satisfy my curiosity of seeing it work, I made the terrible choice of trying to make the pump run while open. Without water acting as the lubricant, the rotor wore out very fast!!
Learning - Never ever run the D5 pump without water!

PPS - By rough estimates, my pump ran for about 20k hours. That is less than the 50k hour MTBF for D5 pump. The only logical reason I can conclude for my pump reduced life span is the way I was using it in a dual bay pump+res combo. The way my loop was designed, bleeding it took quite sometime and I presume this air circulating in the pump had a bad impact on the pump life.

Has anyone tried using the cooler water pump or aquarium pump for their loop?
What could be the possible issues?

So I decided to try and "fix" the worn out impeller bearing. The impeller is made of "hard coal" (a type of graphite, I guess). This hard coal surface rests on the ceramic ball.
I use m-seal to coat the worn out area and create a new bearing surface.

Here are images after it has dried.
rotor_fixed_1.JPG rotor_fixed_2.JPG

Have the pump running successfully, back in loop for about 3 weeks now. Lets see how long it lasts.

Has anyone tried using the cooler water pump or aquarium pump for their loop?
What could be the possible issues?
i have been using aquarium pumps,they cost 100-200 rupees/last 9-12 months and offer really high flow rate (i got a soho 600l/h pump for 200 rs)

look for them at a aquarium store much cheaper then online.
and u cant directly use them in a loop.they are designed for submerged usage and most only have one g 1/4 mount

Back