Ddr4 or ddr5 build for ML

Hi

I'm looking to buy new Motherboard and processor for ML. I have two options, 1) go for ddr4 motherboard (lga 1200) and i5 11400f or 2) go for ddr5 motherboard (lga 1700) and go for i5 12400f.

The thing is ddr5 setup costs me about 20k more than the ddr4 setup as i already have ddr4 ram.

I want to know if the ddr5 setup is worth the extra 20k. I'm doing ML as a hobby. Should I save the money or really invest in the latest tech. Is the performance boost worth it?

I have 3090 + 2x 3080ti if that matters

Thanks

Hi

I'm looking to buy new Motherboard and processor for ML. I have two options, 1) go for ddr4 motherboard (lga 1200) and i5 11400f or 2) go for ddr5 motherboard (lga 1700) and go for i5 12400f.

The thing is ddr5 setup costs me about 20k more than the ddr4 setup as i already have ddr4 ram.

I want to know if the ddr5 setup is worth the extra 20k. I'm doing ML as a hobby. Should I save the money or really invest in the latest tech. Is the performance boost worth it?

I have 3090 + 2x 3080ti if that matters

Thanks
go for latest! serves the purpose for long run!

For your workload it doesn't matter cuz most of the stuff is happening at the GPU. Since it's just a hobby I would advice to save that money and you can later reinvest it in some other part of your homelab or save that cash altogether or buy an even powerful GPU. DDR4 is gonna last for next 5 years and there is no such thing as future proofing in PC industry. All you can do is choose something that suits your requirement.

For your workload it doesn't matter cuz most of the stuff is happening at the GPU. Since it's just a hobby I would advice to save that money and you can later reinvest it in some other part of your homelab or save that cash altogether or buy an even powerful GPU. DDR4 is gonna last for next 5 years and there is no such thing as future proofing in PC industry. All you can do is choose something that suits your requirement.
Cool. Going with ddr4 setup. Thanks

there is no such thing as future proofing in PC industry. All you can do is choose something that suits your requirement.
Well, it depends on the components. Things like PSU, RAM, storage can last for years and can be carried over to new builds if quality components are bought or if they are "oversized".
On the other hand CPU, mobo, GPU have limited life and need to be upgraded in due time.

In OP's case as they already have DDR4 RAM it makes sense to keep using it and save that money plus an additional savings on the motherboard.
However I would advise since they're buying CPU and mobo new anyways, DON'T buy the 11th gen combo. Instead opt for the 12th gen CPU and a DDR4 mobo like Asus H610M-E D4 or if they have a budget maybe a B660 but I won't, at least with that CPU and no further upgrade plans.

@draglord What @enthusiast29 said is making sense, if you get b660 along with 12400f then you can hop on 13th gen core i5, i7 or i9 as well in future with same DDR4 rams. You don't need strong CPU for now but opting a good mobo will be your safe bet.

Well, it depends on the components. Things like PSU, RAM, storage can last for years and can be carried over to new builds if quality components are bought or if they are "oversized".
On the other hand CPU, mobo, GPU have limited life and need to be upgraded in due time.

In OP's case as they already have DDR4 RAM it makes sense to keep using it and save that money plus an additional savings on the motherboard.
However I would advise since they're buying CPU and mobo new anyways, DON'T buy the 11th gen combo. Instead opt for the 12th gen CPU and a DDR4 mobo like Asus H610M-E D4 or if they have a budget maybe a B660 but I won't, at least with that CPU and no further upgrade plans.
Yeah I've heard bad things about 11th gen as well. Will try for a 12th gen. Thanks

Back