PC Peripherals DDR 4 - Worth waiting for?

prabs

Skilled
I know the simple concise answer is 'YES' but I am asking in the sense that I need to upgrade in the next few months especially since my existing went up in smokes (please do not ask how) and I am making a temporary rig with parts that are still functional to hang in there till I have sufficient funds.

There seems to be very little news on it and most indicate that it will be late in 2014 or sometime in 2015. The RAMs will first come to Servers and then trickle down. If I am to build a PC in April with DDR3 (considering DDR4 is not out by then) how futureproof will that be?

In a few years I don't want to be in the same situation I am in right now stuck with DDR2 RAMs when DDR3 is cheaper. I have been there once before as well with DDR1 in a world of DDR2 5 years back.

I know the simple concise answer is 'YES' but I am asking in the sense that I need to upgrade in the next few months especially since my existing went up in smokes (please do not ask how) and I am making a temporary rig with parts that are still functional to hang in there till I have sufficient funds.

There seems to be very little news on it and most indicate that it will be late in 2014 or sometime in 2015. The RAMs will first come to Servers and then trickle down. If I am to build a PC in April with DDR3 (considering DDR4 is not out by then) how futureproof will that be?

In a few years I don't want to be in the same situation I am in right now stuck with DDR2 RAMs when DDR3 is cheaper. I have been there once before as well with DDR1 in a world of DDR2 5 years back.

Simple concise answer is not YES. RAM speed rarely bottlenecks anyone, except in specialized activities like compression of files etc.

I don't see any problem if DDR4 is cheaper when your PC works with DDR3. RAM is not consumable, and RAM sticks with 10 year warranty are not hard to find. Get the right amount of RAM initially and there is no need to wait for DDR4.

You could have waited for SATA express, but rumour has it that Intel Z97 will also not have SATA express ,hence it's unlikely before 2015. Don't wait just grab the best deal.

@amitkher - I agree with you on most points but 2014-2015 seems like a transition year and I really don't want to draw the short straw. With little to no updates waiting really seems futile. But, there was this speculation that it might be out by December 2013.

@Nalin - Thanks for replying mate.

Back