dd-wrt compatible router, with usb for attaching external drive

Final Verdict:

Installation of openwrt (I recommend getting the optimal version of the pandora-openwrt from the page, in the above posts):

As described above, initial language change is kind of painful.
In addition flashing 'may ' not be so straightforward. I personally took the long route of flashing multiple firmwares via command line - linky, before reaching my final setup.
But the short method above 'may' also work. I didn't know about it earlier , so didn't try. And don't know.

NAS/streaming:
100mbs ethernet on this, that's 11 MegaBytes/sec speed over lan. Which is more than enough for me.
Streaming over LAN via a 10 meter cable is as good as instantaneous on PC. Seeking is also instant.

Range is simply great! for my average size 2.5 bedroom, everything is covered.
streaming over wifi: No problems playing a 2GB file abt 10 meters away from the router on a redmi prime 2.

!!IMP!! wifi streaming speed and range were pretty bad on the official openwrt firmware... download page for the curious : https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ramips/mt7620/

Excellent. I'll order it today itself. I've managed to flash couple of my friends router earlier on TPlink with command line, hope this won't be any trouble.

Thank you for your time.

dlna - I tried, but got no space left on device error., don't know about database in RAM option . sorry

btw default package manager points to pandora.org.cn, which is dead for whatever reason.
Googling showed that pandora.com.cn is working. Not sure how legit that is.

to change/update

$ vi /etc/opkg.conf

Then add to the top of this file:

Back