DCam Suggestions - Budget 20 to 25K

Hi Guys

Please suggest me a DCam for Rs 20 to 25K.

Also approx 3K will be spent on a 1GB mem card.

All the Dcam experts please give me ur expert opinions.

I would suggest a Canon S2 IS... Amazing cam 10x Optical Zoom with Image Stabliation... 5MP... A true Pro cam... One of leet TE members is a proud owner of it...

Buy this -

Sony Cybershot DSC-H1

Key Features:
Effective 5.1 Mega Pixel
12x Optical Zoom (24x Precision Digital Zoom)
Super Steady Shot (Optical Image Stabilizer)
2.5 LCD (115 Kdots)
Electronic View Finder
AF Illuminator

MRP : Rs. 24,990

You will get it cheaper in the market.

Canon Powershot S2 IS

http://jjmehta.com/products/canon_s2is.html

Price @ jjmehta.com

Canon Powershot S2 IS (5 Megapixel)

Rs 20995 New Low Price [Only Camera]

2GB SD | NiMH Battery (4pcs) | Standard Charger | Plus Digital Camera Pouch

Cost:- 25250 [Looks a gr8 deal here]

Source:- http://jjmehta.com/pricelist/canon_digial_pricing.htm

Guys keep ur suggestions comming.

Can we change the lens in the Canon Powershot S2 IS with some high quality lens later.

I am mostly thiniking about the Canon.

Some brands of digicams sport German or other Euro lenses. Some will no doubt argue, but after 35 years of being an active photographer, and a tech type of person, I feel that nobody makes high end lenses better than Canon makes them, and nobody makes more lenses that qualify as high end than Canon either.

The lens mounted on the S2 IS is the best of it's class. Even compared to quality SLR zoom lenses, it is a premium product. The camera is not a pocket cam, and does not pretend to replace one. Then again, it can do what no pocket cam can ever dream of, and can compete heads up with most digital SLR's in the hands of most people who buy a digital SLR. Truth is, most people who spend the bucks on a digital SLR would get far more from the purchase of an S2 IS.

Link:- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009GZSSO/102-6376229-6988134?v=glance&n=502394

DSC H1 Vs S2 IS

Link:- http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Sony-H1-Canon-S2/Sony-H1-Canon-S2-review.htm

^Get the CAnon, it has replacement lenses and filters available as well. Excellent optics, and the image-stabilisation works really well.

TechHead said:
^Get the CAnon, it has replacement lenses and filters available as well. Excellent optics, and the image-stabilisation works really well.

Thanks TechHead , this is the main thing i wanted to know.

Can someone confirm me if i could see the preview of image on the LCD
just like we see on the camera phones before clicking a pic.

In case of SLR's we can only see it in the viewfinder.
It wud be gr8 if we cud see the pic in the viewfinder & also on the LCD.[Plz confirm]

Switch whos the leet member who has this cam :)

you can preview images on it.....

the pictue quality is great as expected...

but what sets the Canon apart from other cam in that price range is :

1- The amazing zoom

2- Amazing image stabilization

the downers are:

- very high noise on IS0400 and even 200

Havent played arnd with any other cams in that segment so cant comment on how it compares with other cams in the category...but taken just for what it is, it is indeed an amazing camera

Welll... I had gone out with him to buy this camera for his father... He is a pro Photographer(Talking about his father here)... If you still havent got it then i will give you one major hint... He is one of the G.Mod of TE who does not know that there is a market section which exists on TE ;)...

@apollyon, Hows ur DImage Z6 working??

What about a review??

Well, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ5, chic_magnet has it AFAIK.

12X Zoom,5 MP and very good image quality (Although image quality while shooting interiors is a little less..but still a very good VFM camera).

What media does the Canon S2 IS use??SD card??

Given me Canon S2 IS , Sony DSC H1 & Panasonic FZ5.

I am still in love with the Canon S2 IS.

Reasons why i am taking the S2 IS.

- Powered by the same DIGIC II processor found in Canon’s pro-series D-SLR cameras.

- Canon’s renowned optical Image Stabilizer (IS) technology.

- 12x optical zoom (36 – 432mm f/2.7-f.3.5)

- Changeable Lens & filter

- Pic preview on LCD & Viewfinder both

- Video Shooting @ 640x480 @ 30FPS [AVI]

- Simultaneous movies and stills.

- SD Card support

- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed

- A/V out

- DC-IN

The Canon also looks gr8 :)

Can someone please confirm the above points about Canon so i can lock this camera :hehehehe:

@Switch - its Ren.

Quad Master said:
Given me Canon S2 IS , Sony DSC H1 & Panasonic FZ5.

I am still in love with the Canon S2 IS.

Reasons why i am taking the S2 IS.

- Powered by the same DIGIC II processor found in Canon’s pro-series D-SLR cameras.
- SD Card support
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
- A/V out
- DC-IN

The Canon also looks gr8 :)

Can someone please confirm the above points about Canon so i can lock this camera :hehehehe:

@Switch - its Ren.

Canon S2 IS has 10x optical zoom.

IIRC Sony DSC H1 has all that too + 12x optical zoom + cool looks.

1126344170381large6tj.jpg

What i know is that the Canon S1 IS was one of the hottest selling products till last year or so... The S2 IS is the successor of that and i still havent found anybody complagining about it :)...

Darthcoder said:
@apollyon, Hows ur DImage Z6 working??
What about a review??

Well, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ5, chic_magnet has it AFAIK.
12X Zoom,5 MP and very good image quality (Although image quality while shooting interiors is a little less..but still a very good VFM camera).

What media does the Canon S2 IS use??SD card??
luv my dimage :) ....ive used a panasonic fz20 as well as a canon s2is....my personal preference is panasonic>dimage>canon...the only reason i didnt get a panasonic is cuz it has a li-on battery while my dimage has 4xAA cells...the canon i used had heavy purple fringing on shots taken @ maximum zoom....but the lens on the canon is a class apart from the leica on the panasonic n my minolta

- SD Card support

- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed

- A/V out

- DC-IN

All the above are true...and I can vouch for the amazing picture clarity and way too good non-perfect ligting condition pictures....

Only downers is the noise at high ISOs....

Having said that, I must also acknowledge that I've never used the panasonic fz20...

canon i used had heavy purple fringing on shots taken @ maximum zoom

also, since i don't have a tripod, so shots taken at max zoom have had some amount of shakiness so can't comment on the fringing

Having reviewed both the cameras, I would vote for the DSC-H1. I'm posting a review I had written for TOI last year, read it :)
Head to Head
Canon Powershot S2IS vs Sony Cybershot DSC-H1

We look at the two latest prosumer digital cameras that sport Image Stabilisation, high zoom and a 5 megapixel resolution.

Image Stabilisation is basically a method of reducing any shake that can occur when you’re taking a picture. If you’ve tried your hand even a little bit at photography and experimented with a few settings on a digital camera, you’ll know that if you set a slow shutter speed, the pictures come out blurry unless you have a tripod. Sometimes you can even get a shake in the picture at maximum zoom. Here is where Image Stabilisation steps in. What IS attempts to do is remove shakiness from images that may otherwise occur. This will no doubt come in very handy for night photography, as well as in scenarios where you’re using full zoom, such as in sports etc.

Features
The Canon S2IS is an upgrade from its predecessor the S1IS, but sports some major improvements and enhancements. First, most people complained that 3.2 MP was rather low in a prosumer camera like the S1IS so Canon bumped it up to 5 megapixel. This will be more than enough for A4 sized prints. Second, the image processor being used is now Canon’s DIGIC II, resulting in faster camera operation, better colour reproduction etc. Also, the zoom has been increased from 10x to 12x. Apart from this, you’ll find SD (Secure Digital) card memory expansion instead of CF (Compact Flash) and, a much larger and clearer flip-open style LCD display.
The competition comes in the form of Sony’s DSC-H1. As far as specifications go, this Sony offers features similar to the Canon variant. You get a 5 MP resolution, image stabilisation, 12x zoom and a good macro mode. The H1 also comes with a much larger 2.5-inch LCD display and 32 MB of internal memory. The camera supports memory expansion via Sony’s Memory Stick standard. Though, no memory card is included in the box, so you’ll have to spend an additional amount to buy a memory stick.
Canon has an advantage here with the fact that the LCD screen is of the flip-open type. So it’ll be less prone to scratches and since the screen can also be twisted and rotated, you’ll be able to get odd-angles without having to bend yourself as well! Equally important is fact that Sony Memory Stick cards cost a lot more in the Indian markets as compared to SD cards. If you’re thinking of arming yourself with a whole gig of capacity minus the enormous pocket-hole, consider Canon again.

Ergonomics & Build Quality
Holding the S2IS is a tad inconvenient. No matter how much you try to reposition it, it won’t fit snugly into your hands. Although the shutter button is placed spot-on i.e. exactly within reach of your index finger, the same can’t be said of the other buttons. The manual focus and macro-mode buttons are completely isolated from the rest, and placed at the far left, on the camera lens. A 4-way button is included for navigating the menus along with other separate buttons for functions such as flash, video recording and self-timer etc. On the whole, the buttons aren’t well sized and don’t sport enough relief for easy accessibility. Consequently, you’ll end up wasting a bit of time preparing for a shot.
The DSC-H1 comes out a winner here. Unlike Canon’s silver-coloured plastic body, this one has a dark silver metal finish, making the camera look a lot more stylish. Although the H1, at 591 gms, is heavier than the Canon which weights 420 gms, it doesn’t feel unwieldy at all. This is because of the fact that it’s very comfortable to hold and accessing the buttons isn’t a bother at all. The buttons are perfectly sized and can be perfectly accessed with one hand. In fact, you can operate the entire camera and take a photograph with one hand. On the whole, operating the Sony DSC-H1 is a lot more comfortable than the Powershot S2IS.

Performance
If you’re shooting in lowlight conditions and need to use a higher ISO setting, then you better look at the H1. Canon’s S2IS has good image quality till 200 ISO. If you go higher than this, you’ll find much noise in your pictures – something that you’re definitely looking to avoid. Sony on the other hand performs consistently with the least amount of noise across the various ISOs and also has slightly better colour reproduction. The images are a lot more saturated in terms on colour and contrast and feel warmer.
One problem noticed with both the cameras is a considerable amount of purple fringing - what is technically called as chromatic aberration. This appears as purple highlights on the edges of bright areas in a picture. For instance, if you take a picture of a tube-light in an otherwise poorly lit room, the edges of the tube-light with have very slight purple coloured halos around them. While this may not be visible in standard 4x6” prints, it’ll become apparent in anything larger than that. Overall the Sony comes out better here due to better colour reproduction and a low level of noise.
As far as battery performance is concerned, neither of the cameras uses any proprietary battery. You can pop in 2 ordinary AA cells for the Sony and 4 in the case of Canon. As part of the package contents, Sony includes 2 rechargeable AA batteries along with a charger. With these batteries fully charged, you ought to be able to shoot about 290 pictures before they need to be recharged themselves. Canon on the other hand ships with 4 ordinary AA batteries, so you’ll have to spend additional cash buying 4 rechargeables and a charger. But you’ll end up getting about 350 pictures with the Canon model.

In the end, the Sony comes out a winner. It looks a whole lot more classy and is much easier to use. Everything will almost be intuitive if you’re acquainted with digital cameras and have tampered with them before. Sony performs better too! The only thing going against it is the high pricing for memory stick media and average battery life. ~Me
Yes the zoom is 12x in the Sony, not 10x.

Back