Data and Electrical Wires

sureshskr

Recruit
I have 2 building which are 20 meters apart, in which one of the building doesn't have electrical connection. So, planning to extend the electrical connection, in which like to add the RJ45 cables for data connection

1. PVC Pipes will be buried under ground, 1 Feet
2. Both electrical and RJ45 cables will run on the same PVC Pipes.

1. Type of RJ45 Category and brand do I need to select (Cat5e, 6) - I see LiveTech offers cheaper than DLink
2. For electrical wires I planning to use Finolex FR 2.5 Sq. mm - 2 cables (+ and -)

I see there are recommendation not to run in parallel nearby, please shed some light on this.

Power cables are high voltage and will tend to induce an emf in nearby cables, so it can cause interference in the adjacent low voltage CAT5/6 cables. RJ45 uses differential signalling, so it might not be a serious issue, but there is a limit to the amount of noise rejection. You could also look into shielded CAT5/6 cables.
The other possibility is that either cable's jacket could get punctured and send a high voltage through the low voltage CAT5/6 cable effectively frying all electronics connected to it.

2. Both electrical and RJ45 cables will run on the same PVC Pipes.
Ideally you want seperate these two by at least 15 inches.

You could also look into shielded CAT5/6 cables.
Its a possiblity, more expensive and requires proper termination on both ends.[DOUBLEPOST=1427828182][/DOUBLEPOST]
1. Type of RJ45 Category and brand do I need to select (Cat5e, 6) - I see LiveTech offers cheaper than DLink.
5e supports 1Gbps,
6 supports 10Gbps.

Your call.

cheaper has to do with less copper. I'd get good quality if its going to be a long term thing.

what is good quality ? look for how much info they display on their site or packing.

Last edited:
indy's tried those the throughput is no better than n150 wifi.

The ones abroad can work at twice that speed but they are close to 8k in india which makes them unattractive.

Its all about the induced EMF. I would suggest to run them in separate conduits. Also, you might want to look into armored CAT5/6.

Speed wise, I think its best to stick to the CAT6 wires since AFAIK, there is a differential of 3 Rs per metre when bought in bulk.

Also, run some extra CAT wires in worst case scenarios.

Back