Dark Souls - Discussion Thread

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
And you thought Demon's Souls was hard? Enter Dark Souls! The spiritual successor to Demon's Souls developed by From Software to be released for the PS3 as well as the X360, is even harder and challenging than any other title out there including Demon's Souls itself, says Kristan Reed of VG247.
tongu23e.gif

VG247 said:
Death isn’t even the worst of your worries any more. That point emerges later on, when you find yourself becoming exposed to the terrors of being cursed, and losing half your health bar. Get cursed again, and you’ll lose another half, and so on, until the game may no longer be playable.

To compound my harrowing nervous exhaustion to the point of mental illness, after 35 hours of play, my save game became corrupted after I ripped out the power lead in the vain hope of stopping myself from becoming cursed. I now have to start all over again.

The best part:

VG247 said:
But you know what? I’m actually looking forward to it. The one thing you learn from all this bitter experience is that what takes 35 hours could be easily done in 10. You just have to be prepared to fail, and be braver than you’ve ever dared to be in a videogame. When you’ve broken through the pain barrier, you’ll wonder why you were ever such a pussy about it.

Reed: Why Dark Souls is the hardest game I’ve ever played | VG247

[media]KmLaLqYauTA[/media]

The game has been received well regardless of the difficulty. IGN gave it a 9/10 and Gamespot rewarded a 9.

Personally, I never ventured into Demon's Souls. Had a bunch of other titles to be completed and partially (maybe) owing to the widespread fear about the difficulty of the game! Any game that poses a genuine challenge is certainly more rewarding and the incentives of playing and completing it is a different experience. If I ever get a chance to revisit Demon's Souls (and eventually Dark Souls!) I am looking forward for that day.

Completed Demon's Souls and looking forward to this soon! :D

Re: And you thought Demon's Souls was hard? Enter Dark Souls!

But you know what? I’m actually looking forward to it. The one thing you learn from all this bitter experience is that what takes 35 hours could be easily done in 10. You just have to be prepared to fail, and be braver than you’ve ever dared to be in a videogame. When you’ve broken through the pain barrier, you’ll wonder why you were ever such a pussy about it.

I will remember this quote and I swear on my dead cat's grave, I WILL complete Demon's Souls and then take this game up for sure. After watching the IGN review, I'm really awe-struck with it's presentation and boss battles.

Heck I was the only one in TE who got to the 1st boss fight during our Demons Souls discussion. :p I'm gonna take up the DS again. F YEAH!

^Params7 has already beaten the game like 2 years back IINM. Just in case you weren't updated. :p

i literally broke my hand due to demon souls.bring it on!

here is to endless nights of frustration,swearing and crushing coke cans with my bare hands.yeahhhhh

ps- limited edition looks nice

Ah seems like more mortals have completed Demon's Souls after all. If that is any inspiration and/or consolation to us leftovers. :p

VG247 reports the scores:

IGN – 9/10

Metro – 9/10

The Guardian – 4/5

Eurogamer – 9/10

Strategy Informer – 8/10

Telegraph – 5/5

NowGamer – 9.1/10

Electronic Theatre – 4.7/5

OXM – 9/10

RPGSite – 90%

BeefJack – 9.4/10

zConnection – 92%

gamesTM – 9/10

Edge – 9/10

Gamespot – 9.5/10

Joystiq – 4.5/5

Game Informer – 8.75/10

Getting it tomorrow. I'm targeting to beat Dark Souls asap so I can focus on PvP more than Demon's Souls this time. I'll probably play as the Knight (which has a forced Covenant) but I'll help with the tips and bosses here.

Would anyone be active enough to provide tips on Demon's Souls, if any of us begin the game?

You want to play the game now ? Now it would be difficult since gaming season has started and you really dont want to miss those games , Demon Souls would really require lot of patience.

I would say get Dark Souls and beat Demon's later (stories are not connected). In launch, people are always helpful and its more fun experience learning to beat the game with the community. There's going to be lots of co-op online and less invasions at first.

Params7 said:
I would say get Dark Souls and beat Demon's later (stories are not connected). In launch, people are always helpful and its more fun experience learning to beat the game with the community. There's going to be lots of co-op online and less invasions at first.

That's not a bad idea either. I'll probably get the 360 version. Which copy are you getting?

Ethan_Hunt said:
That's not a bad idea either. I'll probably get the 360 version. Which copy are you getting?

You will have plenty of them boss fights in the game. Good luck! :p

And keep us posted as it progresses.

I would be willing to provide any help to people starting Demons Souls . I would recommend playing Demons Souls first it since the online servers only available till 2012. Make the most of it !

Two words: Posion Swamp! :p

Can't wait to try this game out. :)

Loaded the game just to get a feel of the difficulty and it is brutal, as promised. I cleared the prologue boss fight with the Asylum demon. However, the armoured undead soldiers are kicking my ass in the Firelink shrine level. I chose the Knight class. It's funny how this game's save system works. You save near a bonfire (it also auto-saves) and restore your health and level up. But here's the catch, all your enemies will re-spawn, every single one of them (except the bosses). Unbelievable! To top that, the enemy AI seem to have a mind of their own. It's like they can anticipate all your moves and dodge and attack as a human would. It's not difficult, just frustrating. :(

Back