Custom made Subwoofer Amp- Thiruvananthapuram ishtyle!

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
I never said the amp was loud enough for the sub. the two main speakers- they cant play that loud, and the sub ends up sounding louder. thats why

if you prefer analog sound , why are you listening to CD's :bleh:

what brand is the speaker your brother bought? the best 2.1's are the Altec lansing ATP3 and the MX 5021 (THX)

In my experience, high bitrate ( 192~320 kbps ) mp3's sound 98~99% of the original, and i listen to old stuff- country and jazz, for which the source recordings are from 1960's/70's tape masters, and the modern "digitally remastered" versions end up soundings worse than the originals :S. Besides, i have them on foreign cassettes, and their CD's aren't available. so mp3 s the only format i get them in

I've tried listening to DVD audio - all you need is a DVD drive and a full version of WinDVD i think , and it doesnt sound THAT good. You can make mp3's on your PC sound good. just need some tweaking of the playback.

Realtek, agree that it is bad, especially the AC 97 ones. HD audio realteks are sort of better

about the images, post the images at this site ImageShack® - Image Hosting and past the BBcode they give here :)

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
ah vinchu, this is your first year in the co. this year you'll be learning how to work.

Next year, you'll be learning how not to work ;) I'm at that stage now :bleh:

shershah

Recruit
Mar 1, 2008
Trivandrum
greenhorn said:
I never said the amp was loud enough for the sub. the two main speakers- they cant play that loud, and the sub ends up sounding louder. thats why

if you prefer analog sound , why are you listening to CD's :bleh:

what brand is the speaker your brother bought? the best 2.1's are the Altec lansing ATP3 and the MX 5021 (THX)

In my experience, high bitrate ( 192~320 kbps ) mp3's sound 98~99% of the original, and i listen to old stuff- country and jazz, for which the source recordings are from 1960's/70's tape masters, and the modern "digitally remastered" versions end up soundings worse than the originals :S. Besides, i have them on foreign cassettes, and their CD's aren't available. so mp3 s the only format i get them in

I've tried listening to DVD audio - all you need is a DVD drive and a full version of WinDVD i think , and it doesnt sound THAT good. You can make mp3's on your PC sound good. just need some tweaking of the playback.

Realtek, agree that it is bad, especially the AC 97 ones. HD audio realteks are sort of better

about the images, post the images at this site ImageShack® - Image Hosting and past the BBcode they give here :)

no way we can find LP's in tvm..i bet!!:) .so what shud i do for analogue stuff?got som 500 or less cassettes!!basically no use..yea i got Realtek HD audio.had microsoft HD audio b4(had pirated vista premium in my comp,but now XP).yea i got mp3 ripper(force-320kbps).still CD is my stuff.i wud prefer wave or lossless over mp3.bro also bought a DVD audio capable player(got a DVI out).he is a doc in mali govt: health centre.comin back within 2 days.tried 'boys' dvd audio in a 5.1 system i assembled for a customer...multichannel audio isnt my stuff!altecs r gud.wat he brought was westech 2.1(not super,but gd enuf!).music genre not a prob for me..got all kinda stuff for all moods:) .lik i said i prefer CD audio over mp3,doesnt mean dat i dont use mp3's.for older songs,i hav to opt for mp3's.i think i got somthing like 500 cd's & few dvd's.cd players dont transfer audio signals in digital form to analogue amps.we use normal RCA or balanced inputs.no coaxial or optical inputs in DIY(not in tvm) amps!!.cd payers contain up samplers(24bit/192khz) and DAC(digital to analogue converter).these DAC's convert signal from digital to analogue.our amps cant read signals in 1's & 0's:bleh: i said analogue in dat sense(mor clearly i prefer analogish sound:S )..even if i manage to buy LP's from some place,i cant afford a decent LP player(costly).if i cud i would go for it than cd's:) .havnt forgot how gud dey sound(especially bass!!)DIY LP might not be possible:( .anyways let me try to post som pics..tk cr:)

shershah

Recruit
Mar 1, 2008
Trivandrum
greenhorn-You can make mp3's on your PC sound good. just need some tweaking of the playback.

mp3's in my computer(bought new computer,HP,model5160)really sounds good especially via the inbuilt monitor speakers(tweaked the EQ).they r so small,still sound loud and gr8 treble.also i got a sony in-ear phones my bro brought from mali costin mere 2k.(japanese sony head phone with gold plated jacks for just 2k's??its gud bargain.he is thinkin of buyin one more:) )mp3's sounds gr8 via da headphones(thunder bass,sweet mid and treble.AC3 audio/cyber link).@ night i watch movies,tv & hear my cd's in my computer via dese head phones.my CD player has phones out,but i prefer computer phones.main thing is dat i connected a set top box(digital) via pinnacle TV tuner card's S-video input(gud picture quality).so i can watch/record my tv programmes in peace.usin head phones will giv peacefull sleep to others:).b4 i had assembled computer.but this HP system has core 2 duo(2GB ram)160 GB sata,light scribe DVD/RW & above all 1600/1200pixels(HD)wide screen HP 17" LCD panel(just 3/4" thick)and a vista supportin GE force grafix card(computer was a bargain too,just 53k's includin UPS).

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
you can up sample in pc's too. My soundcard has 192 khz/24 bit playback, and in foobar , you can play around with different upsampling algorithms ( right now i can choose between PPHS , SRC and SSRC , at different qualities)

dont bother spending 2k for the sony's . I would recommend the creative EP 630's being sold here on the forum for <800. A lot of my friends have bought it , and they all have liked it :)

shershah

Recruit
Mar 1, 2008
Trivandrum
dats pic of a stereo system on test(b4 moved into a cabinet).2 amps bridged to get 200watts @ 8ohms(total of 400watts @ 8ohms,stereo).i kept da pic bcause makin & hearing this amp was fun.sound was full bodied and powerfull.in pic u see only one transformer & power supply.i used total of two identical transformers(+/-28V 5A,special order) & power supplies(DIY/keltron caps) '250' HEXFET's amps!

shershah

Recruit
Mar 1, 2008
Trivandrum
i dont hav it..its sold:).was a good deal;).i shall post the pic of my latest system soon.my pal biju is out of station man.jst 2 more days.sardarji told me dat a set of new bolton r on da way.if they r gud enuf i shall let u know.i shall ask sardarji to keep it aside.1st hand woofer,if its original boltons,no second thoughts..go grab it.its ok to drop it if u dont like them.i know sardarji from da day he opened his dukan!!so i guess he will not lie to me!!:)

gmano

Adept
Jan 11, 2007
@Shershah, Could you be kind enough to Post in a proper language. We need to strain a lot read your post. Your posts are informative, but the SMS language you use in regular typing is a strain to read.

shershah

Recruit
Mar 1, 2008
Trivandrum
gmano said:
@Shershah, Could you be kind enough to Post in a proper language. We need to strain a lot read your post. Your posts are informative, but the SMS language you use in regular typing is a strain to read.

sure dude.i shall type properly!(kinda lazy!:( :) ).if there is anything thats still confusing for you in any of my previous posts,do let me know!!take care:)

shershah

Recruit
Mar 1, 2008
Trivandrum
hey green,what is your opinion about current 10"/12" dainty fullrange component speakers made for PA system.i think they give out good bass(fullrange & bass???).i had this old dainty 10" fullrange.paper cone was real hard and tight.surprisingly the mid and high frequencies were average.hav u tried those?:)

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
PA is made for efficiency usually, not for fidelity. it will be very loud, but not sure about quality. Also i doubt if it can do the really low frequencies, the 50~80 hz range

shershah

Recruit
Mar 1, 2008
Trivandrum
the amp seen in the picture i posted in page 2 is identical to yours,only difference is its 250's.try wintek once...its totally different stuff.once i did a system for this guy who was an avid fan of old A.R songs(gentle man,duet..etc).he needed some thing which gives tube like sound(tubes in tvm???).so i bought wintek's TIP amp & replaced the output device with ELEKTOR(Rs.800/pair,total of Rs.1600 for both channels).must bias.was it worth the money.cant really say its 100% value for money.but hey,the sound i heard from TIP's & the sound from ELEKTOR were so different.its difficult to describe the sound i heard from ELEKTOR's.all i can say is it sounded pure & clean.gr8 mid & treble,not so fast but tight bass(absolute zero noise even at high volume).these werent for techno music for sure.again i used all bolton 10" woofer,5" mid,1" silk dome & passive 3way crossover.wished to do one for myself(it was that good).but they stopped stocking ELEKTOR's due to its high price & cheap alternates.other down sides where the excess heat,so large heat sink & big amp board(space problem).but if you get your hands on these,pls do try..you like jazz..you might like their sound.its in my wish list.if i get these,i will built one for myself!!:) sorry if i bore u,cant help it:(