Custom duty related queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got few packages shipped through DHL from Amazon.com where the duty amount is prepaid directly to Amazon. I have noticed that the BOE (Bill of Entry) submitted to customs by DHL will have the item value, HS codes, duty amount etc pre calculated and printed, not even written by hand. The customs official just signs at the bottom and the duty amount is exactly same as what was displayed and charged by Amazon during checkout and no manual changes are made.

Now if Amazon / DHL can pre determine the exact duty amount even in countries such as India and make sure only the correct amount of duty is levied, I don't see why the same can't be done by other service providers.

I think its due to the lack of proper documentations from SnS. When we are ready to give the proper invoices and item descriptions if they submit the same in a proper and timely fashion, the items should be assessed properly.

This is the main reason i would want to avoid SNS in future because i would never be sure what i will be finally paying even when i have proper invoices and everything.

I have got few packages shipped through DHL from Amazon.com where the duty amount is prepaid directly to Amazon. I have noticed that the BOE (Bill of Entry) submitted to customs by DHL will have the item value, HS codes, duty amount etc pre calculated and printed, not even written by hand. The customs official just signs at the bottom and the duty amount is exactly same as what was displayed and charged by Amazon during checkout and no manual changes are made.

Now if Amazon / DHL can pre determine the exact duty amount even in countries such as India and make sure only the correct amount of duty is levied, I don't see why the same can't be done by other service providers.

I think its due to the lack of proper documentations from SnS. When we are ready to give the proper invoices and item descriptions if they submit the same in a proper and timely fashion, the items should be assessed properly.
+1. Got some packages from Amazon via DHL. Very swift, professional and accurate. Expensive though !

Through another forum (IBF) i got to know about something called as Amazon Global super saver which supposedly seems to be applicable to India. Buy eligible goods worth 125$ or more before import fees and get free shipping. If more people here who stay closeby and have goods less than 125$ each to order, they can order combined.

Check this link: Amazon.com Help: AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping

This might be old news but i got to know today only. So apologies if repost.

^^ It was introduced recently (4-5 days back). The only catch is ordering for 125$. Also don't know what courier would they use for free shipping. If it's i-parcel, I would rather have myself shot in the nut rather than go through the mental trauma caused by them.

^^ It was introduced recently (4-5 days back). The only catch is ordering for 125$. Also don't know what courier would they use for free shipping. If it's i-parcel, I would rather have myself shot in the nut rather than go through the mental trauma caused by them.

They mentioned that they will take care of customs and all. Not sure what service they will use for actually shipping the items. You can chat with them and ask.

^^ The CSA cannot tell you about the courier service to be used. Brought up this topic long back when I was having trouble with i-parcel and they said the system automatically allocates carriers depending on various variables like the location of warehouse, shipping destination, item type, weight etc. They simply cannot do anything about it.

Ok so i went to the link below to try and see how this amazon global thing works.

Link-> Amazon.com: International Shipping

I searched for the WDTV Live which costs 80$ on amazon.com. Put my India address and everything and got final price as 100$ (approx). Not bad with shipping and customs i feel.

2wbry8g.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

any idea if monitors can be shipped via this Global Saver Shipping ?

check this link.. seems they do ship monitors.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_shipping_option-_0?rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A!13900851%2Cn%3A!513014%2Cn%3A239093011%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A1292115011%2Cp_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011&bbn=239093011&ie=UTF8&qid=1353442414&rnid=2944662011

Btw whenever you search a product, after the search results come, do click the "AmazonGlobal Eligible" on the left hand side and see to get more accurate list of items you want to obtain.

@raksrules Yes their shipping prices are very competitive , was checking complete golf sets . They are charging $65/70 for shipping and duty where as ishop wants $120

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys..I have reached this page:

Now if I hit: Place your order (using my Citibank card); will it take me to a payment gateway, or will it complete the transaction...?

Amazon_checkout.png

I am not sure about what will happen. I suggest you try it, mostly amazon usually has a card on file. Is your card on their file. I have never tried Indian credit cards as i have a US card added to my account.
But looking at this, it looks the best option for you because they will handle the customs as well. And amazon Customer service is awesome so you have peace of mind. In fact they will refund you the import fees (part of) after deducting what they actually paid.

I am not sure about what will happen. I suggest you try it, mostly amazon usually has a card on file. Is your card on their file. I have never tried Indian credit cards as i have a US card added to my account.

I deleted the details on the screenshot, but they asked card number, name and expiry, but NO CVV. Is that enough to push a payment through. I think it would. US sites really do not have payment gateways. Apprehensive to try. Though for now, I have disengaged the card from my Amazon account, that facility is there. I am utterly satisfied with the duty hit, plus their FAQ says, if the duty works out greater no extra payment, if less it is automatically refunded to the payment vehicle used. Nice. Just need confirmation if the card will be accepted based on name/number/expiry.

I deleted the details on the screenshot, but they asked card number, name and expiry, but NO CVV. Is that enough to push a payment through. I think it would. US sites really do not have payment gateways. Apprehensive to try. Though for now, I have disengaged the card from my Amazon account, that facility is there. I am utterly satisfied with the duty hit, plus their FAQ says, if the duty works out greater no extra payment, if less it is automatically refunded to the payment vehicle used. Nice. Just need confirmation if the card will be accepted based on name/number/expiry.

So did you actually do the transaction ? Do keep us updated as you are probably the first person to try out the amazon global thing. We are looking for that as this option seems very enticing vis-a-vis others like sns and all. And when it comes to amazon we know they are too good in terms of customer care.

So did you actually do the transaction ? Do keep us updated as you are probably the first person to try out the amazon global thing. We are looking for that as this option seems very enticing vis-a-vis others like sns and all. And when it comes to amazon we know they are too good in terms of customer care.

No bro, not done it. I stopped on that page. The pricing is not paining me at all. Just wondering how they will validate my card. :) Thanks for this though.

^ Yes, it will be accepted just fine. The order is confirmed after you press the 'Place your order' button.

No bro, not done it. I stopped on that page. The pricing is not paining me at all. Just wondering how they will validate my card. :) Thanks for this though.

You have nothing to loose if you go ahead with the transaction. If they invalidate it you can then talk to customer care about it. Because i feel they should not invalidate since it is a service for someone outside USA so outside cards should be allowed.

I've bought many items which are directly shipped by Amazon to India, one order was sent through DHL and all others through some company called i-parcel.

I've bought many items which are directly shipped by Amazon to India, one order was sent through DHL and all others through some company called i-parcel.

Can you please tell, what duties and tax incurred on it?
I was thinking of getting a $140 cabinet, do you know what would be its final cost delivered to my house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back