Crysis 3 - Discussion Thread

I am so much disappointed after hearing this DX11 only news. I have a ATI 4850 which is better than many DX11 cards out there but still we will be left out. And I cannot digest the fact that the game could not be made for DX10 people.

I think this came after the amount of flak they got when they released Crysis 2 without DX 11 and high res textures. Crysis 3 will be pretty demanding on the systems.

I am so much disappointed after hearing this DX11 only news. I have a ATI 4850 which is better than many DX11 cards out there but still we will be left out. And I cannot digest the fact that the game could not be made for DX10 people.

People having nvidia 260gtx ( legendary card of its time , perform similar to amd 5770) cant play as it does not support direct x11 ! they are really pissed !

What the heck. That is not fair.

Anilji, I don't think this is recent news. Dx11 only was made pretty clear from quite some time. Agreed the older GPUs may not be able to play the game by any means but like jc36 posted, even the newer systems will take a hit despite the engine being the older CryEngine 3.

IIRC I had played Crysis 2 on Dx9.0 c - never bothered with the high-res. texture pack which released later. :p

I think this came after the amount of flak they got when they released Crysis 2 without DX 11 and high res textures. Crysis 3 will be pretty demanding on the systems.

When Crysis released, people moaned that their rigs couldn't handle it. When Crysis 2 released, people complained that it wasn't enough to max out their rigs. Since Crytek can't win either way, might as well set the bar again, like they did with Crysis. That game's engine was at least 3 years ahead of its time, which is an eon for this industry. Five and half years on, and it still looks better than most games out today. I fully expect Crytek to show us on the PC today what the next-gen Xbox / Playstation will start seeing in 2015. If that means sacrificing obsolete DX10 cards, so be it.

Anilji, I don't think this is recent news. Dx11 only was made pretty clear from quite some time. Agreed the older GPUs may not be able to play the game by any means but like jc36 posted, even the newer systems will take a hit despite the engine being the older CryEngine 3.
Mmm...yea. But it does not make sense to me. They can have it built into the engine that it can render on Dx10 cards, if not with all the settings enabled. Is that really hard. I think this is a marketing-bake-in. Which is sad. I should be able to play it on any system within a range of 2-3 years. That is a good piece of software. Why suddenly a cut-off. Dx10 cards are not that old.

When Crysis released, people moaned that their rigs couldn't handle it. When Crysis 2 released, people complained that it wasn't enough to max out their rigs. Since Crytek can't win either way, might as well set the bar again, like they did with Crysis. That game's engine was at least 3 years ahead of its time, which is an eon for this industry. Five and half years on, and it still looks better than most games out today. I fully expect Crytek to show us on the PC today what the next-gen Xbox / Playstation will start seeing in 2015. If that means sacrificing obsolete DX10 cards, so be it.
I really do not think games are made; to MAX out a rig. How can they show cutting edge technology to users, by restricting some not being able to play it. As it is, only the highest end or Xfire/SLI will be able to that anyways. And the best-of-the-best truly surfaces when you have multi-GPU and paneled monitors. Who is doing that. This way, Crytek should limit Cry3 to multi-GPU, and multi monitor. LOL.

Reviews are out!

• CVG: 8.5 - Crysis 3 is a difficult one to score in a multi-format review. It's a showpiece, a supermodel FPS, but on consoles there's less makeup to conceal its lack of ideas. On PC, however, the beauty is so effective in papering over the cracks, the fact that the series still remains a long, long way behind Half-Life 2 and Halo hardly seems to matter.
  • Digital Spy: 4/5 - If you did not like Crysis 2, then the third game is unlikely to change that, particularly due to those technical errors in presentation and performance. But those who did will find every reason to pull back on the Nanosuit and venture out in New York.
  • Destructoid: - Solo play is shorter than previous installments and not as enjoyable, but multiplayer goes some way toward apologizing for it by stepping up its game and providing a gripping new experience in Hunter mode. This is a game that feels like the very essence of a "third installment" -- Familiar to the point of looking overplayed, but nonetheless refined and suffering no lack of quality.
  • Gamesbeat: 85/100 - Crysis 3 is the strongest entry in the franchise. The puzzle-like combat scenarios have never been better with its suite of gameplay options and opportunities while the engaging narrative urges you to see Prophet's journey through to the end. And if you're a console owner, you can rest easy knowing that it still looks great on seven-year-old hardware
  • VideoGamer: 6/10 - By the end of the game I was bored silly, and considering the scope of what was going on that shouldn't have been the case. Sadly, bar a few exceptions - a Jurassic Park-style hunting section in long grass, an open-ended assault on Ceph AA emplacements - I'd rinsed and repeated the same thing so much that I couldn't care less. Which, given that I was the world's most powerful being, says it all.
  • Polygon: 7.0 - t's a beautiful game with jaw-dropping production values. But it took me a few hours to realize how empty Crysis 3 feels. The best thing I can manage to say about it is this: It didn't get in my way. But I would have had more fun if Crysis 3 had put up a fight.
  • IGN: 8.5 - It's not quite a next generation experience come early, but it's a superbly controlled, tightly paced and tactically flexible shooter with a satisfyingly focussed story, and an excellent way to tie up the Crysis series... for now.
  • Edge: 6 - It looks beautiful, of course. Everybody knows Crytek can work magic on a gaming PC, but it's the Faustian pact that the studio has presumably entered into in order to conjure such imagery from consoles (while avoiding Far Cry 3 levels of performance) that has us concerned. What was lost along the way? The first game's soul was traded away by Crysis 2, but at least that game was aware of its limits, using its new walls to guide players through a series of emergent, reactive encounters. Crysis 3 has neither direction nor freedom, though it does have human weapons, alien weapons, a cloaking device, an Armour mode, and a bow. And with this many options at your disposal, Crysis 3 insists, surely you must be having fun.
  • GamesRadar: 3.5/5 - Overall, Crysis 3 is a gratifying shooter experience. Even though the campaign is on the shorter side, there are a few visual hiccups, and some of the enemy AI is unbalanced, those small gripes get overshadowed by Crysis 3's tactical gameplay, beautiful environments, and superb online multiplayer. While not treading new ground for the FPS genre, Crysis 3 is a solid shooter that will keep you entertained through the campaign and long after with its addictive online modes.
  • Penny Arcade Report: - Crysis 3 is filled what what could have been interesting subplots and ideas, but Crytek seemed hesitant to commit fully to any of them. The result is a competent, fun, but ultimately forgettable experience. It's also a beautiful game on the 360, but performance is uneven. I've begun testing the game on my PC, and I'll report back to see how things look on a fully jacked system. I'm also looking forward to jumping online once the servers are up and running and filled with gamers to try the multiplayer.
  • GameSpot: 7.5 - Crysis 3 is stunning to look at, successfully portraying an uneasy partnership of the natural and the artificial. As the story presses on, the conflict deepens and the visuals darken; it's as if you can feel the evil spreading throughout the city. As a piece of technology, Crysis 3 lives up to the series' legacy. As a game, it doesn't reach the same heights. The campaign is several hours shorter than Crysis 2's, and doesn't reproduce the thrills that lit up the previous games. Yet on its own terms, this is a full-featured sci-fi shooter that makes it a lot of fun to torture extraterrestrial abominations with the burning rage of their own weapons.
  • Kotaku: No - Lovely graphics aside, Crysis 3 is a mostly mediocre shooter in which fancy visuals faintly disguise haphazard design and a lack of technical polish.
  • GameSpy: 4/5 - Crysis 3 is a self-assured but largely unambitious game, content to refine the experience of the previous games in the series without deviating very far from the standard that they set. It takes itself a bit more seriously than its plot probably warrants, sure, and it willfully throws out references to games that are far more memorable than it ultimately winds up being, but to its credit, it seems quite comfortable to focus on execution rather than the revolution that the first Crysis shot for. Considering that it delivers a fun, polished experience, it's hard to fault it for that.
  • GameInformer: 8.50 - Crysis 3's evolutionary enhancements don't move the needle for the series very far, but the core nanosuit-based gameplay is still thrilling. If you have a rig that can run the PC version of Crysis 3, I strongly recommend you go this route. The high-resolution textures, realistic lighting, and detailed facial animations gives you a taste of the graphical fidelity we expect to be standard in next-generation consoles.

News: Crysis 3 review round-up: 'Gulf between PC and console is titanic' - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Reviews mostly averaging positive but the game seems to be short at 6 hours long for the main campaign! I was expecting at least 10. Nvm. Shall attempt it after I am done with Gears Ascension.

I am a little surprised by the low scores I was hoping the Campaign would be better than Crysis 2.

Very average scores, compared to other games by Crytek. Again not spending for this :) Both Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3.

Started playing last night.
Not much intrigueing gameplay. Won't comment on graphics - since I'm not viewing in dx11. :p

Back