Creative EP-830 vs Soundmagic PL30

agn

Disciple
Which one is better EP-830 or PL30 ?

Want good clarity, details and good noise isolation. Am not much of a basshead. I listen to Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Opeth (pure rock mainly) and carnatic/semi classical on my Sansa Clip. Don't want an amp. Need an earphone urgently. Max budget 1k - to 1.2k. Are there any others that fall in this range ?

TIA

I guess it depends on the fit more than anything. I've personally not observed much of a difference between iems using identical tips. Nowadays, I think it is pointless to get anything lower than a PL-30 if you are going for new earphones and there are more choices which offer enough value at higher prices too.

I had a dislike for the sound of the ep-630 from the moment I got it which resulted in my giving it away; even the zune stock iems were of a far superior quality than those though they lacked the muddy bass that everyone loved about the creatives.

I have read about the bassy ep-630's. EP-830 is not that bassy and is better according to many. I have also read reviews of PL30 and everyone has very good opinion about it. But I read a few reviews where they found that noise isolation could be better. Am not sure about the noise isolation of EP-830, but being in the same range of EP-630, I guess its good. Any ideas if mediahome.in sells PL30 alone without the amp ? What's the price ? Are there any other places where i can find these ? I need to buy an earphone before tuesday evening. I'll leaving for a trip the next day.

I have owned and used both Pl30 and EP830 and TBH i don't find much of a difference between the two. Though i prefer using PL30 simply cause their design is more jogging friendly while EP830's are a pain to use while jogging/running. Get the PL30 if the cost difference between the two is not more then 300 bucks otherwise get the EP830.

Ah, finally someone who has used both! Thanks Switch for the reply. Let me see if mediahome.in sells PL30 alone. If they do, I'll follow your advice. So sound quality wise, you haven't found any difference ? I know 'sound quality' is much of a personal thing. But if EP-830 is comparable to PL30, then EP-830 should like hotcakes!!

EP-830 isn't really comparable to the PL-30's .PL-30's have even been compared to the Shure's and likes.

Ive used EP-630 as well as 830. Both use the same drivers but the 830 has less of the boom boom bass which is in EP-630.

When I had the PL-30 ,I found it to be a big jump from the EP-630.It's sound signature is totally different with more of mid range and detailing and it has sound staging which is almost nil in the Creatives.

checkout http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/review-soundmagic-pl-30-earphones-fiio-131961.html.

yes go for pl-30

i got mine yesterday only and loving every bit of it..

i was earlier using ep-630 and mind u pl-30 is better than ep-630

though never used ep-830

yes go for pl-30
i got mine yesterday only and loving every bit of it..

i was earlier using ep-630 and mind u pl-30 is better than ep-630
though never used ep-830

I used ep630, sony ex85, pl30 on my sony a728 and here's my views for a scale of 1-10

ep630

build - light

audio quality - 4.5/10

mids 3/10

highs 5/10

lows 5/10

soundstage 4/10

comfort 7/10

vfm 7/10

overall 5/10

ex85

build - medium

audio quality - 5.5/10

mids 5.5/10

highs 6/10

lows 5/10

soundstage 6/10

comfort 7/10

vfm 6.5/10

overall 6/10

pl30

build - medium

audio quality - 7.5/10

mids 7/10

highs 7.5/10

lows 6.5/10

soundstage 7.5/10

comfort 6.5/10

vfm 7/10 (10/10 for 750 buxx)

overall 7.5/10

Also i don't listen to very high volumes and i generally use the IEM's while i am jogging/running only. PL30 is better then EP830 but if the price difference is huge then go in for Ep830 only.

Also one more thing, my EP830 died on me after 1 month of rigorous usage.

Same here. Can't stand loud sounds/music. Well, I already placed an order for PL30 + E3 combo. I wonder if the E3 will make any difference with my Sansa Clip.

The only good ear phones that i had was Ep630, that went kaput last month. Also thought of ordering the Ep830, but saw many good reviews of Pl30 over EP830, So i ordered a Pl30+E3 combo.
Although i didnt want the E3, mediahome will not give just the Pl30, even after repeated asking.
Will sell that E3 to someone in TE, after i get it.

Back