Budget 51-70k cpu upgrade build review - AM5 + 7800x3d

6000 xmp seems to be holding fine for now, turned it on last night and ran cinebench. Using latest bios
Have not had any issue so far thankfully, and boot times even without memory context restore seem tolerable. My usb wifi stick also seems to be working ok after windows reinstall. god knows why.

I looked in cpu-z and ram has hynix. Now how to tell if its A die or M die ? It does not really matter i guess as ill keep it at 6k and tune other timings, but still curious. Tried to run some typhoon software, it gave no error on read but all data was undefined.
Good to hear that you're system's working great.

Thaiphoon burner would be the software to check, but I usually enter the part number that comes with the kit onto the manufatcurer's motherboard QVL (in their website) to identify the die. Your patriot kit is somehow not listed, but comparing the timings and speeds with G skill's kits, I'd say that it's mostly M die. 1.4v is too high for 6400 on A die anyway, since it would usually touch 7k and beyond at those voltages.

Enable CO and you'll be good to go. I would also suggest manually lowering SoC voltage to 1.2. Has no effect on stability and you save a bit more on temps
yeah, will all do all of these things 1 at a time and keep it running for few weeks to test/confirm stability. Right now, just setting it up and testing from return point of view to check if something is broken, but thankfully seems not. For games, 3080 will always be the bottleneck so this will all be just timepass stuff.

------------------------

My cpu actually had some sort of slight dusty marks on it. When i took it i thought it was external but it was on IHS. For a while i though i maybe had a fake ( but everything else looked great including serial no). Tried to wipe it off with isopropyl alcohol, and thankfully it just went away quickly. Weird to have that oob.

1.PNG

@OP IDK if you've already purchased the build but if not get a better board. Gigabyte line up for AM5 is one of the best of the lot.

@OP IDK if you've already purchased the build but if not get a better board. Gigabyte line up for AM5 is one of the best of the lot.
Bought B650m ds3h already as i don't need any more features and VRM is more than capable for 7800x3d.
Initial days, but so far it is working well and not giving any trouble. Startup times are good enough already too OOB.

Only negative perhaps was that it came with old bios which is not available anymore. It probably did not have fixes for voltage issues.
And it had a bug, I couldn't update bios through UEFI. Had read about it thankfully - qflash+ works nice and updated directly from usb.

Ram tuning went without incident. Copied Secondary Timings from buildzoid video and it just worked.
Then tightened from 6000 C36-36-36 to C32 and then to 6000 C30-36-36 while keeping voltage same at 1.35v and it again works without issue.
Core Soc voltage reduced to 1.2 as well, it was running at 1.245 earlier i think.

Ran multiple tests for multiple hours often with gpu load too and never had any trouble.
Ram temps does not go above 60 or so even with 320w gpu heat nearby + ram stress test.

With the 7800X3D, enabling curve optimizer of -30 under PBO settings will be your best friend. The CPU will work at a lower voltage, boost higher, and run cooler
-30 All seemed to be working, but needed to find the right test to fail it. prime95 small works best, gave me errors very quickly. OCCT is also nice.
Both can be used to identify which core fails too.
Other tests have never given me any crash so far - Corecycler / y-cruncher / aida64

My best cores cannot do that much reduction in voltage, perhaps because they are already tuned oob. I had to use -15 for best 2 and another.
Rest seem stable at -40, so -35 has even better chance of being stable. -35 is also slightly faster than -40 in cinebench.
-45 caused crash on idle once and sometimes boot issues.

So for now, going to run on (-35 -15 -15 -35 -35 -15 -35 -35) and hopefully it will be stable, else will keep reducing.

Finally, i will try to put some thermal (or power) limits - 85C/80C. Aim will be to give up small gains from CO by reducing max temps. Thermal limit might work as per this.
For games it wont matter, but i also do some multi threaded stuff in my work.
Doing all of this now, because i know once i stop i will never touch this part again. Did same with gpu.

Edit - just tested with 79C Thermal limit + CO and it works perfectly. Still retained half (0.89%) of the performance increase over base in cinebench multicore.
Probably can go lower still, but this is just one benchmark. I think i will stop with the tinkering now, hopefully this will be stable.

Last edited:
Back