CPU/Mobo CPU overheating

Deathdart

Disciple
Hi,
I've recently installed Vista on my HP Pavillion dv5200 laptop. Now whenever I try to play some resource hungry games like maybe Titan Quest or something, the computer shuts down on its own after a while. Sometimes it even shuts down randomly for no apparent reason when the computer is idle. This did not happen on XP SP2. I'm not too good with hardware stuff, but I think this is happening because of CPU temperatures being too high. I checked the temperature with SpeedFan and it shows both my cores at about 75-80 degrees C when idle and around 95C when under load. The temperature shown by PC Wizard however is around 70C which is still too high. I don't know why this is happening or how to fix it. Please help me reduce the temperatures and make my PC stable...

Config:
Intel Core Duo T2250 @ 1.73 GHz
nVidia GeForce 7400 go
2GB DDR2
No idea which mobo

-DD

Try checking with coretemp and report back the temperatures. The best would be to call HP and get it fixed. Its either that the fan is dead or the notebook is badly designed.

CoreTemp shows idle temp around 75 and under load it goes upto 90-95. Also, core temp is showing my CPU speed wrong, it's supposed to be 1.73GHz but coretemp shows different values when i load it up, like 760.90 MHz, 928.65 MHz etc., always lower than the actual speed.

it shows low speed during startup cause ur cpu is using speedstep technology. disable it. and yeah temps are high! i think u can make a hot coffee on load temps :p lol

I think your internal HS fan is screwed... so its basically being cooled by a very small heatsink which is obviously not able to hold the load.

Now I've reduced CPU temp to around 68 idle and 85 under load by underclocking it to 85% speed thru windows power management but I think I'll get the fan looked at. Is there any program that lets me see my fan's performance? PC Wizard doesn't show any fans or voltages or those other things, it's blank.

AFAIK most of these fans are independent of the hardware monitoring sensors on your mainboard , so you might not get a reading off it. The only way to get some idea of the functionality of the fan is to look for a vent, load up the system with some CPU-intensive program and listen for the fan whirring away/feel if any hot air is being blown out through the vent.

I can feel hot air blowing out the vent at the back and I can hear the whirring if I keep my head near the bottom of the laptop... so does that mean there's no problem with the fan?

I am late here, but you could keep the temps low by undervolting using RMClock.

U can run the CPU at 1 Ghz at 0.7V I think. :)

But it is not a pakka solution. I think u better get the notebook serviced / replaced.

Back