Storage Solutions Corsair Force 3 - 120GB SSD - Slow Speeds

Pixel

Adept
Hey Guys,

I picked up the Corsair Force 3 - 120GB SSD last week and I was finally able to install it today.

I have followed this SSD Optimizing guide - http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds

I have enabled the AHCI SATA mode in the bios as well.

I can upload screenshots of my bios settings if required.

I tried installing windows 7 from a USB drive and it would take a long time when it was loading the installer (black screen + white progress bar).

Once it was in the loader it would just randomly restart.

After fiddling around in the BIOS settings (disabling the AHCI for the other controller), I was able to get it to load windows successfully.

After running a few benchmarks and comparing it to online scores, I feel theres something wrong in probably the BIOS settings.

I do know that my mobo supports SATA 3 GB/s and not 6 GB/s

I am also aware that corsair have recalled the FORCE 3 120GB HDD but upto a serial # way before mine.

Please have a look at the Benchmark tests ..

CPU - AMD Phenom 2 unlocked to BE B55 X4

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

Ram - 2GB x 2 G-Skill

GPU - ATI 4870

Please HELP!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2012-01-31_213257.jpg
    2012-01-31_213257.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 427
I had Enable AHCI Mode but i forgot to switch from IDE -> SATA..

I have attached another screenshot.. Seems like Write speeds have gone down now!

Also, I went into regedit to enable AHCI and i found that it was already "on"

Someone please tell me if these speeds are fine or have I done something wrong ?

- thanks Vivek...

@deepakvrao any information would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 2012-01-31.jpg
    2012-01-31.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 408
You're using SATA 6Gb/s cable?

OCZ vertex 3/HyperX would have been a better pick. Did the drive come with 1.3 factory flashed? Try doing a secure erase amd reinstall, see if it helps.

These force 3 drives will only do up to like 260 Mbps read and 140 Mbps write on my Sandy rig. That is on the intel sata 6gbps port. !! In short.. these drives will not give you the 500 Mbps like the higher end force 3 GT or the Vertex 3 / Kingston Hyper X. These higher end drives have no probles hitting their advertised speeds.

Corsair force 3 , im sad to say uses A-synchronous Nand .. which is the reason for this below par performace. This drive is basically in competition with the Agility series from OCZ and performs similarly too. Tested 3 drives out because i couldnt beleive that this was happening.. just like you . This is a case of false advertising i feel. The numbers that corsair quotes are not acheiveable for me atleast.

Cheers and kind regards !

@Pixelated

Ur not using the drive on SATA3 (6Gbps) port........ so ur ATTO Bench is arnd the 250Mbps mark......

On SATA3 u will get 500Mbps in ATTO Bench

@Pixelated

Ur not using the drive on SATA3 (6Gbps) port........ so ur ATTO Bench is arnd the 250Mbps mark......

On SATA3 u will get 500Mbps in ATTO Bench

Hello
<

Unfortunately he will never see that 500Mbps bench. I have tried out 3 Force 3 drives and they all are slow. I tested them on a Intel Sata 3 port.. WIth the latest RST drivers too. They will not hit those 500 MBps speeds no matter what i do.

Hello
<

Unfortunately he will never see that 500Mbps bench. I have tried out 3 Force 3 drives and they all are slow. I tested them on a Intel Sata 3 port.. WIth the latest RST drivers too. They will not hit those 500 MBps speeds no matter what i do.

u might be right bcoz of the unconsistent behavior of Async Nand......

Its better to stick with Force GT, Vertex 3 and HyperX if ur going SandForce controller

Is Crucial M4 available in India??

Back