Copyright infringement

Just got a mail from Comcast... its a notice of action under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

My God of War torrent d/l is allegedly the reason for this notice :ashamed: . This one was a warning, but continued infringement may result in suspension or termination of the service, it says.

This raises a question in my head.. aren't torrent downloads legal?? :S

Printing press is legal but making currency note therein isnt. Downloading legal stuff on torrent is legal, downloading copyrighted stuff through torrent or from any other mode is illegal.

Most likely US. I dont think Comcast has services elsewhere. Anyway Anti Piracy orgnizations like to target P2P uploaders i.e the initial rippers/sceners. There have been cases where downloaders were required to pay a huge fine. I suggest you be careful.

I would lie low for a couple of weeks and not download anything. You also should start using PeerGuardian, which is a free, customizable IP blocker that filters out IP ranges of anti-P2P organizations, government and whatever else you want to block. Phoenix Labs - Powered by vBulletin is a good place to learn about configuring it and your torrent client and there's also a decent section on copyright infringement. Usually, there are several letters sent before any kind of legal action is taken, and Comcast is one of the worst about sending them. Still be careful, though, you really can be sued for one illegal download, even if it is really unlikely. They also can disconnect your service, but truthfully, they don't want to lose you as a customer, so I wouldn't worry about that.

On the downside, your torrenting speeds will drop a little, depending on how many blocklists you have.

yup, I got about my third one in 4 years or so from comcast. I wouldn't take it too seriously... but I would take extra steps to be careful....

Yes, use Peer Guardian this will help significantly, also choose your trackers more carefully, private ones are usually a little safer since not everyone has access to them.

I use Utorrent because somewhat secure

If you are really worried, check out this service here Relakks

yup, I got about my third one in 4 years or so from comcast. I wouldn't take it too seriously... but I would take extra steps to be careful....

Yes, use Peer Guardian this will help significantly, also choose your trackers more carefully, private ones are usually a little safer since not everyone has access to them.

I use Utorrent because somewhat secure

If you are really worried, check out this service here Relakks

Ohh... Indians are lucky.. No one asks, what you are going to Download :p

Rahulrulez said:
Ohh... Indians are lucky.. No one asks, what you are going to Download :p

No one asks because there are other worries for the Indian government such as poverty, hunger, illitracy, battling corruption :eek:hyeah: etc.

hammerhead said:
No one asks because there are other worries for the Indian government such as poverty, hunger, illitracy, battling corruption :eek:hyeah: etc.

battling corruption? wen did that become a priority for the indian govt? :rofl:

techie_007 said:
battling corruption? wen did that become a priority for the indian govt? :rofl:

Exactly !! The bloody government is more concerned abt changing the names of places, T20, etc...

Look at that ******** sharad Pawar. We have a major food crisis and that bugger is only concerned abt T20. He is the agriculture minister for god's sake !!

No one asks because there are other worries for the Indian government such as poverty, hunger, illitracy, battling corruption etc.

Not trying to pick you up on it.....cause my spelling sucks too... but it is kind of funny that you spelled illiteracy wrong :bleh:

Back