"Connection Timed Out" error with Linksys RTP300.

shady2pac

Adept
At last I got the Static IP from my ISP(Tata) and when I try to log into the Linksys RTP 300 voip router(192.168.15.1) to configure , Im getting this error. Any solution guys?

you sure that 192.168.15.1 is the correct admin ip address of the router? You can try these:

- Find out your PC ip address with 'ipconfig'. I am assuming it is connected to the router and DHCP is used to get its IP address.

- If the above works fine, make sure the web admin ip for the router is correct. You will get a general idea about that ip from what is shown in ipconfig. Generally, your default gateway would be the ip address of the router. Try using that IP..

If there is a difference in your setup, post back.

dekruzader said:
you sure that 192.168.15.1 is the correct admin ip address of the router? You can try these:
- Find out your PC ip address with 'ipconfig'. I am assuming it is connected to the router and DHCP is used to get its IP address.
- If the above works fine, make sure the web admin ip for the router is correct. You will get a general idea about that ip from what is shown in ipconfig. Generally, your default gateway would be the ip address of the router. Try using that IP..

If there is a difference in your setup, post back.

yes 192.168.15.1 is the default ip address of the router.

My set up is like Internet ---->Router----->Laptop. The router used to work fine when in DHCP setting but once Im assigned a static ip, im unable to log in to the router.

When I try ipconfig im getting the static ip, SNM and gateways that are given by the ISP.

Hmm.. that is strange. The router will be having 2 interface. One facing the service provider which will have the static ip address and the other one the private network having 192.168.x.x ip address range. The router should also be acting as your DHCP server for your internal networ. When you do an ipstat on your laptop which is connected directly to the router, you will get details only of the private network in which the router will be acting as the default gateway. If the ip address you have given is correct, it should be 192.168.15.1. If you find something else, try changing the TCP/IP settings on your laptop. Probably, it was configured with a static ip address(?).

dekruzader said:
Hmm.. that is strange. The router will be having 2 interface. One facing the service provider which will have the static ip address and the other one the private network having 192.168.x.x ip address range. The router should also be acting as your DHCP server for your internal networ. When you do an ipstat on your laptop which is connected directly to the router, you will get details only of the private network in which the router will be acting as the default gateway. If the ip address you have given is correct, it should be 192.168.15.1. If you find something else, try changing the TCP/IP settings on your laptop. Probably, it was configured with a static ip address(?).

thats not the case here. Even when the lappy is connected directly to the router, ipconfig is showing the static ip addresses and not those of the private network. Am i missing some connection/setting in my laptop?

tried every option like resetting the modem, disconnect and reconnect, unplug and replug but in vain.:no:

You'll need to set your laptop to DHCP, open the setup interface of the router and change the Internet Connection Type to Static IP and enter the information given to you by your ISP.

thanks guys..it worked. Changed to Dynamic Ip in my laptop and logged into the router and provided the Static ips in the router. But do I need to change to static ips in my laptop?

Thats great. You can give a static ip address for your laptop if you wish, but only in the same subnet of your private network. So, better use DHCP and allow the router to assign you an IP. Check the router configuration whether it provides some way to "reserve" an ip address for a particular mac address. This is only if you are bothered that your ip address will change sometimes.. otherwise don't bother. Just let it run on DHCP.

Back