confirmed -- Mac OS on Intel Platform now

lol.. excites you? may i ask why? :p

TheMask posted 0.63 minutes later:

Hey nice title for the article btw - "After years of trying to get people to switch to Macs from Intel-based computers, Apple Computer itself has switched."

TheMask said:
Hey nice title for the article btw - "After years of trying to get people to switch to Macs from Intel-based computers, Apple Computer itself has switched."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At the end of the article:

However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said.

Well, this means that we Wintel guys will still continue to be Wintel. For a moment there, I thought "Wow, now I can run OSX on my PC!". I can't understand the logic behind this decision. Allowing any PC to run Mac OSX would generate huge sales of the OS itself. Apple's financial problems would be reduced a bit. But then, they could have done that by simply allowing anyone to manufacture Macs.

Well, back to Windows and waiting for Longhorn...

Well put it simply ift coded for X86 it will be cracked, if MS with all its billions cannot stop the crackers, what makes apple with its millions invincible.

Oh, Apple has a lot of proprietary tech sitting inside the Mac. All the OS has to do is to check for existence of any one of them and poof, no Mac OSX in the Indian PC (or any other one for that matter).

But if it can be pirated, then it will probably do more good to Apple than to anyone else.

nothing in software is invincible at all & MAC is no out of the ordinary.

Anyways till now mac has been suffering a huge back stepped situtation just because of its stiffness & traditionalism but that is just due to its internal Conflicts. I remember an Article an yr back where Steve job said that MAC has always been interested to sell Software, but till now just 'cos MAC wants to ship its software in an "Extraordinary" Hardware Pack, it has been Suffering this Setback.

Mac have to reiterate the ideas behind. I guess this is where Billy beats all ---

Yup I have Used MAC 9.0 and it is realyy cool.....well elegent will be the word.....and as far as i know......the performance is also cool.....only reason i sold it was that if any probs then only one place in Delhi where to that it....so....but idea is interesting

Well, unless they can get all existing software running on the new platform, without the user having to go out and buy anything, they will be in trouble with their own fans.
But of course, if they come out with a comp which runs windows (as well as linux of course) I will be jumping to buy one.
Looks like the death of the PowerPC on computers at least.
What is he talking about about power saving tho, never heard of Prescott???
Tho of course it is true that there are no laptop chips. I wonder tho, what is IBM going to do? I think their reaction (what they do with the PowerPC now) is going to be the most interesting development of all.

you will NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT be able to install mac os x on a cheap PEE CEE yet

Apple earns 60% of its money from its hardware division. They are NOT releasing mac os x for cheap PCs.... they are merely adopting a customized architecture and are ONLY sourcing their processor from intel.... also intel will manufacture customized chipsets under license from apple....

i will quote my post from another forum....

well its not like you will be able to install tiger on your cheapo PEE CEE yet. Probably, it'll be customized x86... and yeah why not? Pentium M is a pretty solid li'l thing... and as portable sales are exceeding the desktop sales... apple HAD to shift to something faster since g5 was too hot for a lappie...

Apple did not ditch IBM, IBM ditched Apple... they promised 3ghz two years ago and haven't delivered yet... Again, the $999 developer Powermac p4 3.6 ghz will be way way slower than the dual g5 2.0 ghz leave alone the dual 2.7 ghz which prolly is even faster than amd x2...

Update: It seems as if ibook, powerbook and mac mini will have pentium M and imac, powermac will have Pentium D though i seriously doubt the performance of a D against that of a dual g5

KingKrool said:
I wonder tho, what is IBM going to do? I think their reaction (what they do with the PowerPC now) is going to be the most interesting development of all.

I dont think IBM really cares about this, they will be happy with millions of consoles from ms, sony n nintendo running on their hardware.

Why didnt apple select amd???? :huh:

Hey ALL...

So it finally boils down to the 2 big bro;s fighting.....Or is there sumone still out there like Power Pc ?

The sad n pittiful news of Apple fallin on Intel has been Officially out in 'THE HINDU' dated 8.6.2005 and its in clor at the back page of Kochi edition....

So sad...But this cud be a boost for Intel as it was startin to loose its Market to AMD....

Cheerz

Official news report that MAC will rollout an intel "port" which means the MAC will install on existing intel platforms & not that intel will be making a new platform for the MAC OS. atleast that what i have been able to get from reading articles past 2 years. MAC wants now to operate & concentrate as a software BASE now. Thats what Job's Claim was.

Anand - my freind -- why r u so angry while writing ?? take it easy bro..
any article that can stand by ur Post & confirm what u wrote abt intel designing something SPeacial for MAC ???

But the switchover from PowerPC to Intel has been long due. Apple has been compiling their sources for both the platforms for last five years in their secret laboratory :D . I think this was posted on anandtech.com. Apple realised long before that PowerPC must be discarded , partly because the lower growth in performance as compared to Intel and AMD ,while the other reason is IBM is having much larger orders from Console Makers (viz Sony , MS and Nintendo ) . Also having a standardised product for APPLE must be proving costly in terms of R & D as IBM is long out of the mainstream CPU business. Though it was a bit off topic , i thought it would be informative.

While regarding MAC OS X , there would soon be patches available to run the same on AMD. :eek:hyeah:

OS X Tiger for intel platform
I heard that the one available on P2P was a fake. At least that was what Hardocp said, and I tend to trust em.

Back