Config for 3D

Avish

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
A: 60-65K

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
A: I can't decide between these two configs!

Intel Core i7 870
Asus P7P55D-E [Pls suggest Giga alternative with USB 3.0]
MSI GTX 460 HAWK
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz
NZXT M59 or NZXT Gamma or CM Elite 430
Corsair VX550W
Seagate 7200.12 1TB
Will APC 800VA be enough or should I go for 1000VA?
Also do I need a cooler? If yes then pls suggest one!
================
Intel Core i7 950
GA-X58A-UD3R or ASUS Sabertooth
Everything else same as above.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
A: Might add another 4GB stick & FullHD monitor!

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
A: Pune.
Open to online purchase if only I can't find it in Pune.

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
A: No.

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
A: 3D artworks using software called Vue Infinite. Also for some Photoshop, some gaming, watching HD movies & 24x7 downloading.

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
A: Lots of experienced Vue users have suggested me to go with Intel setup! That's why both configs are Intel! ATI cards are known to cause problems with Vue so going with nVidia card! Also Pro cards like Quadro don't make any difference to Vue.. so pls don't suggest any of those!

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
A: Halo, KOTOR I & II, Warcraft III, AOE etc. I'm not much of a gamer but I play these once in a while! But this config is gonna be pretty fast so I guess I'll try out some latest ones too!

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
A: FullHD.. but I'm not gonna buy one right now.. but you can suggest me one for later!

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
A: No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
A: XP x 64 & Windows 7 x64

Btween the two.. Im leaning towards i7 870, coz I think it'll gimme similar performance with less budget & will save me some electricity too bcoz of it's power efficiency!

But here is what I'm not sure about.. If I go with p55 setup, will I be missing out on triple channel memory advantage! Does it helps in any way when working on huge, complex scenes & rendering them? Do share your experiences if any of you guys've got to work on both platforms & experienced any difference! If it's worth it then I'll go with i7 950! Pls give me your overall thoughts! :)

Thanx!
~Vish~

If you are going to keep your comp at stock speeds you will not need a CPU H/S - If you do plan to do light Overclocking further on then It is advisable to get yourself a CM Hyper 212+ ~1.8k

Since you are not going to OC the 950 will be a better choice the higher clocks of the i7-950 (3.06 GHz) v.s i7-870 (2.9 GHz) will be notable in terms of performance boost.

Gigabyte X58 Chipset Board - Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ~ 13k - Which you have chose above is a good choice / MSi - X58 Pro-E will do a pretty good job too (USB 2.0) -- ASUS Sabertooth if available and you are comfortable with ASUS A.S.S - then is a great great board.

For a Monitor U2311H ~15k / BenQ G2220 ~7.5k / ST 2210 ~ 8.5k --- Will do the job fine

Some how going for the GTX460 HAWK doesnt seem to convince me over better performance v/s the reference design GTX460 - inspite of higher clocks and better latency - Therefore if you are into going for a Hawk ~14k you could do that - But that said - 5850 v.s 460 -- the 5850 (the 1.5 year old design) still PWNS - EOD !

You could get yourself a better case like the Lancool Dragonlord PC-K56/W ~4.5k - That'd be a nice no frills (no blue LED flashing around) + well ventilated for around - 5k - That'd kinda overshoot the budget by about 2k tho :(

The APC BackUPS will give you a fair amount of Backup - about 20 Mins or so AFAIK ~ Enough to back up and shut down under 80-90% charge.

Component Description Price

CPU Intel Core i7 950 14500

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 13000

GPU Zotac GTX460 1GB GDDR5 12500

HDD Seagate Baracudda 1TB 2700

RAM Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 1600MHz - Triple Channel 7000

Case CM Elite 430 2500

PSU Corsair VX550 4500

KB + Mouse Logitech Basic MMKB 650

ODD LG GH22NS50 900

Speakers Altec Lansing BXR1221 950

UPS APC BackUPS 1000VA 6300

Total 65500

Hope that helped

:cool2:

Thanx! Every reply helps! :)

I don't need speakers & ODD! & I need at least 8GB RAM for Vue! I'm leaning towards i7 870 coz it'll save me at least 5-8k depending on mobo, so I'll be able to buy another 4GB stick, making it 12GB in total! & Beleive me, Vue needs LOTs of RAM! :)

Also, I read that 870's turbo mode runs equally with 950 when all 4 cores are used & Vue is fully multi-threaded app!

Pls suggest 2-3 good P55 mobos [with USB 3.0 & SATA 6GB] under 10k! So I can get quotes from my local dealer!

Thanx!
~Vish~

Hey Guys! I've narrowed down these two P55 mobos: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R & Asus P7P55D-E.

From the reviews I read UD3R looks like very stable mobo & perfect one for a single GPU user like me! BUT it has only 1 year warranty! :(

Asus P7P55D-E looks to be quiet impressive mobo but few guys have warned me not to buy Asus coz of the bad service in India! I don't know much about bad service but my current mobo is Asus & I've been using it since 2007 with no problems whatsoever!

So please give your thoughts, guys! Which one I should go for?? Are there any better alternatives for around 10k?

Thanx!
~Vish~

I think if you are comfortable go for the ASUS P7P55D-E, it is wonderfull for the quoted price. Also I have an ASUS 785 chipset based board for the past year hasn't given me a squeak, just remember try to get, G. Skill RIPJAWS Kit as in my view they are better than the Corsair XMS 3 series kit, also if you ant to go for the Gigabyte alternative, you have no option but to go for the G. Skill kits as the Gigabyte motherboards don't feature the MemOK! like ASUS so one of my friends who bought a i5 760 based system kept having issues with Corsair till he became frustrated and jumped ship to Transcend, hope this helps :)

http://www.smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=177&category_id=41&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=79&vmcchk=1&Itemid=79

You mostly won't need to rma that mobo- it is one solid-looking mobo for sure.

Anyways, ASUS rma is improving and will get much better i feel.

If you want an even more inexpensive solution, then you may check the ASUS P7P55D-E LX (approx 8.5K iirc).

Back