computer rebooting during windows load screen

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
And when I inserted the vista disc to repair the startup problem, it gave a message saying that I have to format the hdd :(

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
1. Computer reboots during the windows load screen.

2. I inserted the Vista disc to repair the startup error.

3. But the repair program can't detect my hdd.

vishalk

Adept
Mar 15, 2005
hi,

could you goto the BIOS and check if the hdd is visible? if yes, then i want you to run system in safemode with command prompt and then run chkdsk with the /f/r commands. If there are no errors, i want you to put in the disc and follow the onscreen instructions for repairing. If that fails too, last resort is to format. Now remember that if after formatting, you encounter the same issue, i would suggest that if the hdd is in terms of waranty, then you need to follow the vendor for RMA and get it replaced, if not, you might have to buy a brand new hdd.

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
1. safe mode doesn't work

2. I attached the drive to a windows laptop and it tells me to format the disk before I can use it.

3. I attached it to my mac book pro and it works properly. backed it up and my data is safe.

4. the hdd is visible in the bios.

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
Try attaching the hard drive to a computer with an extra hard drive bay. And then boot from the windows on the existing hard drive and run chkdsk from that windows on the newly attached hard drive (which you have the problem with).

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
^^ Didn't encounter a single problem it with for almost 5 years. Now that I have to do a fresh install, I'll probably pick up 7.

Sei

Skilled
Aug 14, 2006
Pune
hector19 said:
I think u might have enabled ACHI mode . Just check that .

What he said. If the HDD is not getting detected, it might be due to this setting in BIOS. Some troubleshooting might save you a format, but it is better if this makes you migrate to Windows 7 and stop using Vista.