Common Scams happpening in India, list the ones you may know

Charging money has definitely reduced the plastic bags taken by people at the POS. Freeloaders used to hoard it in most cases.

One glaring example is in small snack chains like Monginis/Sugar n Spice/Kathleen (cake/pastry/snacks etc). They used to give away bags with every order. Since they have started charging for it, the freeloaders try to bargain and then arm twist the cashier into giving them the bag for free. When every attempt fails, they take the bag only if it is absolutely required.

I use a plastic bag , but i carry it with me in my car whenever I visit more/ R fresh etc.
the best part is sometimes the cashier looks confused when I take the bag out of my pocket.

I love this idea of charging for plastic bags in supermarket. I have seen lots of people bringing their own cloth bags and such. People are ready to buy stuff worth 1k-3k but won't spend 5 Rs on a plastic bag and hence they get their own. Whatever works, I am Happy.
Btw I always carry a backpack and 2 cloth bags inside it when going to supermarket.

Not India as such, but check this one out. We were having a discussion on MLM a few pages back. It's basically a cult where making money any way possible is the goal. Everyone has a dream to get rich some day, buy all the luxuries that only the top 1% can afford. These scamsters exploit these aspirations by selling "get quick rich" schemes wrapped in different models.

Last edited:
One guy in my office is member of Qnet something and recently went to Dubai for a "conference". Damn he had to pay for air tickets and hotel stay and everything himself. He is always defending this stuff and tells he will earn more. He actually does Qnet work in office and his project is a support project and one person has to come for weekend support.
But he says he won't come as he has to meet "clients" for Qnet. WTF.
He has actually been given an ultimatum by his team lead that if he doesn't actually work in office, he will face consequences.

People coming with a modified auto (orange Shiv-ling on top) blasting religious songs, and pressing each bell in the colony. Early morning. For money.

Not India as such, but check this one out. We were having a discussion on MLM a few pages back. It's basically a cult where making money any way possible is the goal. Everyone has a dream to get rich some day, buy all the luxuries that only the top 1% can afford. These scamsters exploit these aspirations by selling "get quick rich" schemes wrapped in different models.

I have a ticket to one such 'seminar' for today. It is by Network 21 group and they have booked the freakin' Talkatora Stadium for that. There is this woman who sells us Amway products who got my dad( who apparently can't say no to anyone) into making me going for this. The ticket cost is 900. I haven't paid her the money yet and I am not gonna go either. It's a fuc*in' 7 hr seminar. What a bunch of losers that they need 7hrs to brainwash people.

One guy in my office is member of Qnet something and recently went to Dubai for a "conference". Damn he had to pay for air tickets and hotel stay and everything himself. He is always defending this stuff and tells he will earn more. He actually does Qnet work in office and his project is a support project and one person has to come for weekend support.
But he says he won't come as he has to meet "clients" for Qnet. WTF.
He has actually been given an ultimatum by his team lead that if he doesn't actually work in office, he will face consequences.

Poor guy.. Qnet got him big time

I have a ticket to one such 'seminar' for today. It is by Network 21 group and they have booked the freakin' Talkatora Stadium for that. There is this woman who sells us Amway products who got my dad( who apparently can't say no to anyone) into making me going for this. The ticket cost is 900. I haven't paid her the money yet and I am not gonna go either. It's a fuc*in' 7 hr seminar. What a bunch of losers that they need 7hrs to brainwash people.
The more time you spend listening to them, the more willing you will be to join their network (read scam). Sunk costs can make you act stupid; substitute money for time here. After you've made an investment in their network (read got conned), it will be exacerbated further.

Was traveling in the train last month. Went to the pantry car for a bottle of water. On my way back met a vendor selling oranges..5 for Rs 50. I took one set of 5 oranges from her. After 15 mins the same lady entered my AC3 compartment. Now the price was 3 for Rs 50 :)

Another thing I found was that Minute Maid 500 ml bottle was being sold for Rs 50. Checked the Mrp. It was Rs 50. Still felt suspicious. Tried to see if its marked "Specially packed for Railways" or some other tag like that..there was none. Bought it thinking the prices may have gone up (Since I generally dont buy these sugary drinks). Came back home. Checked the price in super market. Mrp. Rs 35.

Another scam which is quite prevalent is the fake newspaper. Took me years to figure it out. Never buy TOI when traveling. Only the covering page is latest. Rest all the pages are 2 days old. The dates on the inner pages are all erased.

Regards,

Bottled water is being sold for 15 INR in Railways, while outside, usually 18 INR. Cooling is 2 INR generally - its now rare to find a shop that does not charge extra illegally for the cooling. Anyways, when buying a bottle at the stall, they will say its 20 INR, and people who dont know the rate differential will pay and move. Ditto if it looks like the train is about to leave. Saw this at Borivili and Vapi station.

So I got a call from a lady posing to be from ICICI Bank. She says that my credit card is being upgraded coz the rewards point system isnt working out for them and they want to change my credit card. She then passes the phone on to another person who poses as a senior guy and proceeds to ask me what is the expiry and issue date of my CC. I give him that details. Then he proceeds to ask me the 14 digit number of the CC; I flatly refused. I said if ur a bank employee then you should know my CC details. He said sir we are upgrading ur CC hence we need to verify the full CC number. I comply. Then he says the bank will generate a OTP please check it out. I said I did not get any OTP. He puts me on hold and comes back after 3 minutes.. I get the SMS. Now the SMS clearly states that one should not disclose the OTP to anyone. He says tell me the OTP. I said why do you need to OTP. He says this is for changing ur CC. I said I am not giving you the OTP. You can do whatever you want. He quickly replies the bank is not responsible if your card gets disabled; and cuts the phone.

I called up ICICI and let them know that this happened. first of all that lady says Sir you are so smart. Good you did not disclose the OTP. She proceeds to take the mobile number from me and told me that she will send the details to their concerned department to take correct action.

I feel dumb that I gave up my CC number to that person and almost went along with his plan.
How does one come to know where the CC was used ??

^^ Nothing can be done by knowing only the CC or even the expiry, for the most part. They need either the CVV/2 code. Even then in most cases, once the payment gateway re-directs to your bank (ICICI) if they have implemented password, nothing can be done. To use the card physically, they need the magnet tracks. With Chip enabled cards, its even more difficult.

Back