Commercial wireless outdoor CPE vs Router

rdst_1

Skilled
I have been using a TP-Link 941HP router in AP mode in my farm shed to provide internet to my security cameras. For some reason it conked off 2 days ago. While looking for it's replacement (and earlier as well), I had come across an outdoor CPE from TP-Link - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1sSaQovIkwUFBdzKaOS2xn

Is this a better choice instead of the router to use in AP mode. It has better antennas and it has lightning and surge protection which is something I value. Or will it underperform in a semi-indoor setting considering it is meant to be used outdoor.
Many similar options are available from other companies as well.

These models work in the line of sight since its directional. So you may still need a switch/router and /or AP for connecting devices via wifi.
If you have wifi security cameras in the farm shed, you will still need a wifi AP or router, then another router in your home and a pair of the above model that you linked
But if you have wired IP camera, then you just need a POE switch connected to that above TP link pair.

TP-Link 941HP and CPE220 serve completely different purpose.

TP-Link 941HP is closer to your standard wifi "routers" and APs except the antennas/radio are optimized to cover a larger area.

CPE220(and other CPE products from tp link) on the other hand is useful in setting up long range point-to-point or point-to-multipoint links. The antenna on this is _very_ directional and optimized for Line of sight connections.

CPE220 may be useful if you just want to reuse the internet connection at your home in your farm shed. You can set up a ptp link as long as there is clear line of sight and it'll just work.

I have been using a TP-Link 941HP router in AP mode in my farm shed to provide internet to my security cameras. For some reason it conked off 2 days ago. While looking for it's replacement (and earlier as well), I had come across an outdoor CPE from TP-Link - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1sSaQovIkwUFBdzKaOS2xn

Is this a better choice instead of the router to use in AP mode. It has better antennas and it has lightning and surge protection which is something I value. Or will it underperform in a semi-indoor setting considering it is meant to be used outdoor.
Many similar options are available from other companies as well.
The device you have linked to is designed for p2p connections, typically for linking moderately long distances by using a pair in line of sight of each other.
I have used quite a few of these for a specific scenario and The antennas are quite directional.

if you need an outdoor unit, look at eap225 outdoor instead which has omnidirectional antennas..

Edit: yup, pretty much what @ishanjain28 said

Totaly agree with the sound advise from all the members above. Be careful while selecting wireless AP and choose omni-directional or point-to-point model. As per your requirement omni-directional would be required.

Would like to add my two paisa and recommend to select a model which supports PoE. This means you get the liberty of mounting the AP in a good central and equi-distant location with respect to cameras, by simply using a **single** cable for both data as well as power.

With TP-Link EAP225 the PoE injector (Power adapter) is supplied and you do not have additional expense of PoE switch.

The PoE also makes it simple to run the security system from a central UPS/Inverter without additional cost of (power) wiring for the Inverter.

If your cameras already have a PoE switch, you can check the compatablity, and use that for Ap as well.

Thanks to everyone. I was actually confused about the exact thing you guys said as I am already using a Ubiquiti CPE receiver for my internet connection provided by the ISP. The point about Multipoint connection is what was throwing me off. Now it is clarified that this wouldn't serve my purpose so I will probably go with the 941HP again.

Most of the newer IP cameras don't have an ethernet port like the popular TP-Link Tapo cameras which I have. Only their IP68 cameras have ethernet port, so will have to keep the whole setup wireless for now.

Back