Comments on Generics for Java SE5

psynaps3

Disciple
Hi,

In version 5.0 of Java, the folks at Sun had added Generic types to the language. I would like to know how many of you have used this feature in real projects and if so, were there any difficulties faced? How easy was it for you to pick up on this feature?

Prior to 5.0, I used to enjoy programming in Java. The syntax was clear and easily readable. Now, with the addition of Generics, this is no longer the case. All the angle brackets and annotations makes one messy code (read perl). I am not sure if the problem lies in the way that one has to think when using generic types, but even if that is the case, the syntax should have been more visually pleasing and the number of restrictions on it usage should have been to a minimum.

The only other language where I have used templates is CPP. Even though it still was a pain in the neck, it wasn't half as bad as what I see in Java today. So people who have exposure to generics in different programming languages, feel free to drop in with your comments on this issue.

Somehow I get this feeling that Java is going to be replaced by some other language in a few years. The only reason i can see Java surviving now is because of its vast library and its application on the enterprise field.

Thanks.

Back