CPU/Mobo CMOS Checksum error

Aparajith

Disciple
Hi everyone,

I have an ASUS A8N-E Motherboard running an AMD X2 4200+. Of late, I noticed the system clock running slow and so got a new CMOS battery. While removing the old battery, I managed to bend one of the metal contacts. As far as I saw, there are two contacts. One on the bottom of the battery socket for the negative terminal and one on the side of the socket for the positive terminal. I managed to bend the positive contact. So I fixed the new battery and bent the positive metal contact back so that it has proper contact. But even now, everytime I cold boot after a shutdown, I get the error "CMOS Checksum error - Defauls loaded" and system resets all BIOS details to default values. I guess this is due to the battery not making proper contact. I will be getting a new battery tonight and check, but wanted to confirm before that. Is this issue only with the battery or could there have been something else that has gone kaput ? I checked the mobo and did not find any visible problems. Can you guys provide some suggestions here..

Is this a common issue ? I mean, when we replace watch batteries, this kind of a manufacturing defect seldomn happens, right ? I got a Maxell battery. That is the reason am doubtful. Probably, it was a fake or something. Anyways, I will check and update the status.

When the BIOS says "CMOS Checksum error - Defauls loaded", hit "Delete" on your keyboard to enter BIOS setup. Then press "F10" to Save and exit setup. Select "Yes" when prompted to save. The checksum error should not occur during the next reboot.

Aparajith said:
Is this a common issue ? I mean, when we replace watch batteries, this kind of a manufacturing defect seldomn happens, right ? I got a Maxell battery. That is the reason am doubtful. Probably, it was a fake or something. Anyways, I will check and update the status.
Lick the bottom part of the battery with your tongue, one without the maxell 2032 markings. You should get a mild shock, thats the sign of power in a battery.

@mod-the-pc : Yeah, thats what I do everytime. But after every shutdown, this happens. That is wahy I am asking here.

@Sunny : Good idea. I will try touching, if not licking.:bleh:

Checked the old battery...It did tickle. Anyways replaced the battery with a new one...This seems to have done the trick. I shutdown and s\cold - booted the PC thrice with a 5 - 20 min gaps....Was still working.:clap: So still keeping my finges crossed.:hap2:

For the last one month, I also got the error "CMOS Checksum error, press F2 to load default" message about 7-8 times. The system clock is working fine. Wat could be the problem?

andysmith45 said:
For the last one month, I also got the error "CMOS Checksum error, press F2 to load default" message about 7-8 times. The system clock is working fine. Wat could be the problem?

Spend Rs 15 and replace the CMOS batt :)

Back