Audio Closed headphone under 5-6K for use inside office

balladeer

Disciple
(I had made this same post on HiFiVision. It was my first post there and this one is my first post here. I hope I'll get help/guidance in the right direction here, especially since it since to be a very active community).

This is my first post. So, hello everybody!

I believe I have a modest taste in music and can discern at least some of subtleties. But I do not count myself as an audiophile. I do not have much knowledge about audio equipment.

Scenario:
  • Will be using with FIIO E10K (sometimes with O2/ODAC at home).
  • Can't afford sound leakage. To be used in office.
  • Need comfort as I use them for hours (I am used to the comfort of HD 201 - yes the best value for money headphone on the planet perfectly cupped my ears)
  • I have Grado SR60e (My main cans as of now; bought after losing my 80e; slightly crushes the ear bones after prolonged usage), Senn. HD-201 (current office cans), Creative WP-350 (crushes the ears), RHA MA450i (love it; for commute), Xiaomi Piston-2 (grand v.f.m. - rough usage only), Creative EP-630, and a 4K SteelSeries gaming headphone that I hate. So I am looking for something that offers something different.
  • As stated above I may fail to tell you what is mid-treble, or what is a sweet sound, but I think am good at discerning the subtleties of music itself. So I would prefer to go for a headphone that just gives me the sound the artist intended that piece to be. (Please let me know if my budget is too little for such demands; however I would really appreciate if you could rather recommend something in my range)

My tastes (so that you can suggest an appropriate headphone):
  • No offence to anyone but I just can't stand metal! Put this as the first point so that it will be clear. Don't prefer punk either.
  • Love Indian/Pakistani music a lot. (e.g., NFAK, Rafi, Lata, Mehdi Hassan, Farida Khanum, Reshma, Noor Jehan, Saigal). That's my first love. I grew up on these. Introduced to western music later on and it comes secondary, if asked.
  • Classic rock, mainstream prog and alt rock (e.g. Beatles, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree), blues, jazz, ballad, reggae, some country, OST (e.g. Max Richter, Philip Glass, Yann Tiersen), classical (symphonies mostly; some concerto and sonata; Tchaikovsky is a favourite).
  • Non-fast faced western, and in general non-too-loud music are my favourite. Also lyrics are very important, if they are present.

Sort list:
  • Not really.
  • A friend, a year or two ago, had suggested ATH-T500 but it seems to be out of stock/production. Was that a good one and on the same lines as per need?

tl;dr: Please recommend 5-6K or less headphones based on the above. + Please quickly scan the bold text above.

See you around

Last edited by a moderator:
The following headphones will suit your requirements, go through detailed reviews on each of them:
Shure SRH440-A
Shure SRH-240A
Audio Technica ATH-M40x
Audio Technica ATH-M35
Audio Technica ATH-A500X
Sennheiser HD 419
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO

See if you can find a good deal on Denon AH-D340 , Denon India seems to be clearing stock of these ,they have an MRP of 10K , usually retail for 6-7k and there have been deals as low as 3-4k. I got my hands one a pair recently and they are really brilliant for the price .Easily worth 7-8k or higher ,IMO . Very clean close to neutral / slightly v-shaped sound with better than average soundstage for a closed headphone. ( good thump and punch in bass - close to neutral mids and sharp treble without being too bright *read as* not as hot as Grado's treble ;). Overall pretty fun sounding and accurate which brings a smile on my face and gets me foot tapping. Infact I love the sound signature so much that its like my go to headphone these days instead of the much expensive legendary modded Denon AH-D5000 due to a similar sound signature. The fit is pretty tight so isolation is also great , no sound leakage . Good for 40-60 minutes of listening without sweating.

Other options to consider would be ATH-M40X (slightly over budget) but it comes pretty close to the well renowned ATH-M50/M50X minus the heavy bass, overall very balanced and neutral sound which may not be very fun sounding but great for catching extreme details in treble etc . M30X is even cheaper and a more laidback headphone overall .

Audio Technica ATH-A500X

Reading the reviews 500x seems like the can I am looking for. However at many places it has been accused of leaking a lot of sound. Your opinion on it? As I said I'll use it in office. Also it almost goes upto 9K.

I had called a shop in Bangalore and they said they have T500 still in stock. 4600/-. How does that compare to 500x? Is X model an upgrade or an entirely different line?

I've tried M35 and they "just" cover my ears (press it from all the sides after covering), so that's there :(

Looking around more for 40x (but looks like it's the same size as M35 from the pics; same for Shure cans I guess, but not sure). I am gonna go to IMAGINE one day and see if they will let try Sennheiser ones. Its HD201 (which I own) fits me perfect though.

Anyway thanks a lot, Aman. Please let me know if there are few more options, other than 500X.

Denon AH-D340...The fit is pretty tight
Looking at the pics it seems size is going to be a problem.

Good for 40-60 minutes of listening
I will be listening it for more than that.

Yes, I am reading more on these two except it seems they may crush my ears a bit. Aman also suggested it.

Thanks. (Mentioned it to Aman's reply - A shop still has T500. How does it compare to A500x and others? Or is it too old a model?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Ath-M35/M40X/M30, these may not be as comfortable as hd 201 as they are supposed to provide a good level of noise isolation so are designed to stick to your ears.

Your requirements are contradicting each other where you want comfort as well as no noise leakage. If possible try to check ATH-A500X personally. Ath-ad500 is another pair of decent cans that provide a great deal of comfort but almost no noise isolation.

Yeah. I guess I'll have to try them somewhere.

Your requirements are contradicting each other where you want comfort as well as no noise leakage.

Or, didn't realise these will overlap. Sorry, I thought that's a possibility. I thought the leakage happens due to being open back or close back. For example my Grado 60e is open back and HD201 is not and HD201 doesn't leak.

Bump!
I have the same requirements but cant decide between the A500x and the M40x.

Also,Since the retailer has to support in case of warranty,where do I buy them from?I see Proaudiohome does not have them in stock,and their prices are 400-600 Rupees higher than other sellers.

Bump!
I have the same requirements but cant decide between the A500x and the M40x.

Also,Since the retailer has to support in case of warranty,where do I buy them from?I see Proaudiohome does not have them in stock,and their prices are 400-600 Rupees higher than other sellers.

I tried A500x and it's too heavy. It was hurting the bone below the ear (No, I don't have a tiny face). I returned it. Also sound leaks. I have not tried 40x.

idk if this helps but the ath-t500 was more comfortable and had better soundstage than the m50x. the clarity is far better on the m50x though.

Well,the T500 is out of stock everywhere.
@balladeer,where did you buy yours from?SP road?Online?If I am to buy it online,whom do I buy it from?Flipkart?

Back