Chrome to Edge

Chrome was my first choice but switched to edge this year. Found edge equally convenient. Also, Chrome takes up lot of RAM for each tab and Edge somehow finds its way running in the background, using up some more RAM. Felt using Edge and deleting rest all might be RAM friendly apart from the pros and cons of being an inbuilt browser.
One problem though bothering me is the annoying Sidebar and no matter how many solutions I tried googling, nothing seems to get rid of that bar. The option of hiding the Sidebar which other people have in the settings, is simply missing in my browser. Don't know why.

Is there any other good alternate instead of edge? I want to switch my work browser from chrome to something else where lots of extensions are installed.
I started using Firefox when it was on version 0.5 and for a time I did try Chrome and other Chromium alternatives. However, I switched back to Firefox several years ago as it is the only real option against a Chromium monopoly.

Google has been using Chrome to drive the web the way they want it to be, which is basically providing them a monopoly to serve ads whenever and whichever way they want.

Chromium Edge was a good alternative at the beginning but that too has become a vehicle for Microsoft to gather data and bundle what not services and products. I would still use it for Chrome at workplace though, mainly because on mobile devices, they wouldn't allow loading corporate sites without Edge.

I started using Firefox when it was on version 0.5 and for a time I did try Chrome and other Chromium alternatives. However, I switched back to Firefox several years ago as it is the only real option against a Chromium monopoly.

Google has been using Chrome to drive the web the way they want it to be, which is basically providing them a monopoly to serve ads whenever and whichever way they want.

Chromium Edge was a good alternative at the beginning but that too has become a vehicle for Microsoft to gather data and bundle what not services and products. I would still use it for Chrome at workplace though, mainly because on mobile devices, they wouldn't allow loading corporate sites without Edge.
We need chromium based browsers so extension can work which are not available on FF, though FF is still my go to browser for personal use. I need browser that can sync all my data (addon/bookmarks/logins). I can live with less feature browser so thinking to switch from chrome.

The best way to break the "google monopoly" is to support edge aka microsoft.
We failed to create the perfect browser(firefox), so lets create the perfect rival.

I think that firefox is funded by google just so they can say that an alternative exists and not get sued. the default search engine on firefox is google btw, while on edge it is bing, and bing is already much better now with the gpt integration. Moreover, unlike firefox, Microsoft has enough money to maintain edge on its own.

Chromium is just better. which is why people use it.

Last edited:
For web surfing using chrome with extension like unlock, adblock, privacy badger
for important work earlier it was brave, now shifted to mullvad and duckduck browser

I think it was called "firebird" then

It was Phoenix from 0.1 to 0.5 however Phoenix bios already had Phoenix name.
It was Firebird for 0.6, 0.6.1, 0.7, 0.7.1 (for Mac) however the open source Firebird sql had Firebird name first.
Firefox started at version 0.8 and continues to be the name since.

Now I didn't experience (home) internet until much later in late 2000s. I got firebird zip from a cyber cafe and damn it was used a lot. And I did try to use chome (when it was cool) multiple time but by that time firefox had got under my skin.
The best way to break the "google monopoly" is to support edge aka microsoft.
We failed to create the perfect browser(firefox), so lets create the perfect rival.

I think that firefox is funded by google just so they can say that an alternative exists and not get sued.

Chromium is just better. which is why people use it.
Nope almost all (major) opensource projects get funding from big tech cuz all the big developers are consultants/contributes in these big tech. Even linux gets funding from google, microsoft, etc. That doesn't mean there is some conspiracy that's how open source works. Mozilla is a non-profit organization and Firefox is a good and at times better web browser alternative. The only reason edge is a better alternative is because of it's enterprise use (they can't just collect things like google). Chrome for e.g is banned in every enterprise. Even Edge is only whitelisted after explisit go ahead from security teams. Firefox ESR on the other hand is in default allow list of almost all security orgs.

Last edited:
Nope almost all (major) opensource projects get funding from big tech cuz all the big developers are consultants/contributes in these big tech.
majority(~80%) of mozilla revenue comes from google directly to keep the search engine google by default. (+ the reason that I mentioned)

Nope, majority(~80%) of mozilla revenue comes from google(not developers working for google), but google directly to keep the search engine google by default.
You are absolutely right yet have a completely flawed premise. Mozilla is a non-profit it has no concept of revenue or profit. It takes donations. Mozilla takes donations and 100% of Mozilla's operating income comes from Big tech like google and Microsoft etc. Source: My organization is Microsoft's and Google's partner and has contributors in Linux kernel.

Also since you edited the comment,
It's not about developers doing anything for google, it's their influence that helps gather the funding and donations. Mozilla has no obligation to keep google search engine by default, and it has tried multiple times to get rid of it

but when you get a donation and all you have to do is keep a search engine by default it's not a big ask. Mozilla makes it about 3 clicks to change this. Just like everything in life sometimes you have to loose a battle to win a war.

Last edited:
Mozilla is a non-profit it has no concept of revenue or profit. It takes donations. Mozilla takes donations and 100% Mozilla's operating income comes from Big tech like google and Microsoft etc. Source: My organization is Microsoft's and Google's partner and has contributors in Linux kernel.
"muh non profit"
"pays people who never use firefox, and never will use firefox. typical non profit stuff"

linux kernel is very different, firefox on the other hand is just a scam, leeching off its old legacy.

Last edited:
"muh non profit"
"pays people who never use firefox, and never will use firefox. typical non profit stuff"
It's called advertising cost buddy. and coming from iJustine just the tech influence I need in my life
linux kernel is very different, firefox on the other hand is just a scam, leeching off its old legacy.
ohh a scam you say. Well that's a solid take right there, you should validate your take on multiple opensource forums, reddit, official channels etc.

It's called advertising cost buddy. and coming from iJustine just the tech influence I need in my life
yea, typical non profit stuff, can't think of the last "linux foundation" advert. Also isn't the donations supposed to fund the browser itself? like the development of the ... browser.

Last edited:
yea, typical non profit stuff, can't think of the last "linux foundation" advert
Linux advertises all the time, just to a different audience. My organization pays $ 600k for RedHat licenses (which goes to kernel developers) cuz we have agreements in place. It's just that Linux is not as retail as Firefox. Nothing works without money dude. PS. we don't even use RedHat that much.
yea, typical non profit stuff, can't think of the last "linux foundation" advert
You haven't** not the same as you can't

All in all why fight over choices, it's good to have choices, even chrome has good things. Firefox and Mozilla foundation are a positive force in opensource scene and nothing's gonna change that. You use whatever you like buddy.

Also, I don't understand the hate for chrome either, I do understand the privacy concerns but how do you expect a software to get developed. All I ask from google and free software providers is to make their privacy policy clear and easily understandable. I am 100% big tech free, I have my own email servers, use a different search engine, not on any social media etc. Whatsapp is the only big tech thing I have to use cuz family. There was nothing to complain, they tell you upfront that you are the product. And all the other closed source software I use, I have a license for. I even have a license for IDM, still get updates for it :p

There are other free softwares that don't get much love, like irfanview, 7zip, GNU development suit etc.

Last edited:
ohh a scam you say. Well that's a solid take right there, you should validate your take on multiple opensource forums, reddit, official channels etc.
I'll tell you why I call it a scam, firefox paints itself as the last hope for humanity, "muh privacy" also google as default, your donation does not go to the development of the browser itself, but to the lavish lifestyles of the CEO and other random e-celebs. Read the article I linked. https://lunduke.locals.com/post/4387539/firefox-money-investigating-the-bizarre-finances-of-mozilla

1704018269995.png

All in all why fight over choices, it's good to have choices, even chrome has good things. Firefox and Mozilla foundation are a positive force in opensource scene and nothing's gonna change that. You use whatever you like buddy.
because, its a poisoned choice and people should know about it. some firefox users think they are doing humanity a service by using this amazing web browser which at best performs on par with chrome.

Last edited:
I'll tell you why I call it a scam, firefox paints itself as the last hope for humanity, "muh privacy" also google as default, your donation does not go to the development of the browser itself, but to the lavish lifestyles of the CEO and other random e-celebs. Read the article I linked. https://lunduke.locals.com/post/4387539/firefox-money-investigating-the-bizarre-finances-of-mozilla

View attachment 187005

because, its a poisoned choice and people should know about it. some firefox users think they are doing humanity a service by using this amazing web browser which sometimes works as good as chrome. but the reality is different.
firefox is funded by google and you get google search by default.
Yes this is substantial and it's not just in 2021 this has been happening from 2018 (at least the discussions) and is discussed from time to time

And it's sad what has been happening but such incidents happen with opensource every now and then and things correct themselves in the long run. For eg CentOS doesn't exist anymore as a free alternative to RedHat and things went haywire in the enterprise space for a moment cuz IBM pulled off a shitty move. But things like these happen wherever money is involved. Firefox is still opensource and their code gets reviewed and is open to all. They still do/can not sneak up shit without public knowledge and the defaults are a click away to change. I myself haven't used google search in last 5 years and Firefox is my default browser.

Back