CHEAPEST possible configuration under <= 6K

naveen chauhan

Disciple
Hello people,

I need around 4PC's with the cheapest possible configuration. My budget is 6K(max) each for the entire configuration with 4 LCDs. I know this is really puny but I want to see how cheap can a configuration really go.

The primary usage is running Mozilla(with 2-3 tabs ) running XP-pro.

Lower power consumption preferred. All the above PC's will be maintained properly and they need to run properly for 1 year.

I was thinking of the following setup and EVEN this is going out of my budget:

D425KT - ATOM 1.8Ghgz -> Rs.2900
512MB DDR2 Transcend/Kingston -> Rs.450
Zebronics Cabinet+SMPS -> Rs.900
Intex/Zebronics Keyboard+Mouse -> Rs.350
250GB WD-Blue SATA 7200rpm -> Rs.1600
Samsung DvD Writer -> Rs.900
Cheapest Possible LCD : Acer15'' -> Rs.3800
Total Amount = Rs.10,900

Guys please help me, how can I bring the cost down. I guess I'll have to search for an even cheaper LCD but I cant fine any + a cheaper Cabinet + SMPS combo + only 1 DvD-Writer. Where else can I save some more money, also let me know if you have nay other configurations in mind.

Why don't you use barebones .. with a decently configured server.

I've seen them used quite practically at low-cost Cybercafes in Navi Mumbai.

This can be your only solution given the cost constraints.

Guys what if I set-up a sever-PC(hexa core/Quad core) and use around 5-8 virtual PC's. How good would that set up be when compared to cost of running 5 cheap PCs.

I'm talking about something like n-Computing / Thin Client. Can we set it up ourselves using VM-ware.

naveen chauhan said:
Guys what if I set-up a sever-PC(hexa core/Quad core) and use around 5-8 virtual PC's. How good would that set up be when compared to cost of running 5 cheap PCs.

I'm talking about something like n-Computing / Thin Client. Can we set it up ourselves using VM-ware.
That will work. I remember there's a software that makes life easy for setting that up. Cant remember it, will post if I find it.

I think this is a way one can do it using VMWare:

Assign ~2 virtual-PC's per core, allocate appropriate amount of ram to each virtual-PC.

Assign a separate mouse and keyboard to virtual-PCs.

Provide multiple displays by using ATI's Eyenfinity or use multiple PCI 1x VGA cards for separate virtual PCs.(desktop extension)

Now run these virtual-PCs separately at each station using 1xmouse,1xkeyboard,1xLCD.

TE gurus please confirm if the above is correct or not.

How about some cheap android tablets instead? You should get them for about 7k on ebay. Or you could source them locally in Mumbai.
For surfing the net they should suffice, and may fall within your budget if you bargain hard.

They will be pathetically slow and highly unreliable. Those are all chineese stuff which sells for like 6~8k on ebay for 8"~10" ones.

iamddevil said:
How about some cheap android tablets instead? You should get them for about 7k on ebay. Or you could source them locally in Mumbai.

For surfing the net they should suffice, and may fall within your budget if you bargain hard.

major9 said:
For just browsing Windows is not needed. Just use some Linux variants with Firefox installed.

+1 to that.

Preferably get a D510 or D525 Atom board as it can perform much better than the single core counterparts.

Use Ubuntu or anyother Linux Distro(MeeGo) which feels light on the system & runs really fast.

I had done enough research on THIN clients and similar stuff.

I saw the Userful-Linuz distro earlier too. The thing is you have to purchase a small box for each PC. We have 2-3 local companies who manufacture their own box along with a Linux OS too.

N-Computing seems to be really popular & good quality option and I had already seen it was available with Prime.

Both of these require a separate thin-client box at each station.

What I was planning was to use VM-Ware and run at least 4 virtual-PC's via one PC. Any ideas guys. I'm already searching on the VMware help forum.

Back