Storage Solutions Cheapest 2Bay NAS

nsas02

Disciple
I'm looking to buy a cheapest 2 Bay NAS. Planning to add 10+TB to storage. I already have a Home server and I will be using that for live usage. This NAS is just for back-up of photos and some important data. Budget is under 15k as I have to spend on HDDs as well. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for cutting edge and also not an ancient one. Just a decent system should do ( I don't even think I need high speed internet support as this is purely for back-up)

That is an option, but actually I meant something like these if you can source high capacity drives cheaper -
Terabyte 2in1 USB 3.0 Sata 2.5"/ 3.5" Dual External Sata Hard Disk Case, External Hard Drive Enclosure Case. ( TRANSPERENT ) 7
https://amzn.eu/d/340tSf8
Ya this looks good. But what difference would it be wrt an external hard disc? Is there any?

Ya this looks good. But what difference would it be wrt an external hard disc? Is there any?
No functional difference as such. Only factor is the price if you can source a HDD plus this for cheaper than an external drive. The external drive will offer warranty though.

NAS for this price is difficult unless you chance upon on a used deal.

Check this, it will allow you to connect 2 drives with a single power and USB cable. If it's only for backup, which can be done once a day, you could rig something up with your existing home server after connecting this.

There is one person selling 2 bay Synology here in dealer Paradise. It's pretty old though.

If you can stretch your budget then I liked zimablade nas kit but it will start shipping 31st Jan and customs would be involved as well.

You can also buy used components and build one yourself.

If you don't want automatic backups then external hdds work fine as well.

For 15K you should be able to snag the entry level Synology 2 bays. But I would suggest against it considering its highly underpowered.

Instead, you should prioritize whether you want to keep low idle power or not.

If the former, try to snag an RPI 4 or 5, 4G. Run OMV plus apps you want. For the HDDs, get USB SATA docks OR USB SATA HDDs. You may need to modify boot/cmdline.txt for usb quirks to get smartctl working on Seagate ones. Or get a RPI CM4 setup plus waveshare PCIe SATA bridge (have gotten, not yet deployed) and repeat above.

If power is not an issue, get a cheap 6th gen or above setup.

If you want a no-fuss solution and don't want to build it yourself have you looked at WD's My Cloud EX2 Ultra
I have not personally used them so cannot comment on its performance.
I'm looking to buy a cheapest 2 Bay NAS. Planning to add 10+TB to storage. I already have a Home server and I will be using that for live usage. This NAS is just for back-up of photos and some important data. Budget is under 15k as I have to spend on HDDs as well. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for cutting edge and also not an ancient one. Just a decent system should do ( I don't even think I need high speed internet support as this is purely for back-up)

For around 12K you can get the P330 that I am selling with an i3 8th gen + 8GB RAM + 256GB NVME storage, get 2 external enclosures for the remaining 3K and build your self a good powered system with a lot of room to grow.

If you want a no-fuss solution and don't want to build it yourself have you looked at WD's My Cloud EX2 Ultra
I have not personally used them so cannot comment on its performance.

For around 12K you can get the P330 that I am selling with an i3 8th gen + 8GB RAM + 256GB NVME storage, get 2 external enclosures for the remaining 3K and build your self a good powered system with a lot of room to grow.
Nice Idea , but how can we access it via internet securely without having fear of getting hacked ?

Nice Idea , but how can we access it via internet securely without having fear of getting hacked ?
Well I am no expert in this, I also do not recommend having your media/files accessible over the internet rather than just locally. but if you do want that access, I would recommend that you install a VPN like TailScale or WireGuard etc. and the equivalent client on your mobile and laptops that will access your home data externally. This way you will be secure and not have to deal with port forwarding and DNAT etc.

I personally use TailScale on my network, but mainly just to access my server in case my HomeAssistant is offline, my HA is the only service that is accessible over the internet for me and that too is backed/ protected by Cloudflare so 'safer'

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'm gonna go with external HDD for now. Will revisit that in future as it is purely for a back-up purpose.

Firstly, this is a game of cat and mouse, so first ensure you have it always updated. Any exploit, individual or chained should be patched as quickly as possible.

Coming to the security - services should be run on least privileges with different accounts. The control panel for admin should only be accessible from behind a VPN or from behind a jump host. Dont use default ports.

Well I am no expert in this, I also do not recommend having your media/files accessible over the internet rather than just locally. but if you do want that access, I would recommend that you install a VPN like TailScale or WireGuard etc. and the equivalent client on your mobile and laptops that will access your home data externally. This way you will be secure and not have to deal with port forwarding and DNAT etc.

I personally use TailScale on my network, but mainly just to access my server in case my HomeAssistant is offline, my HA is the only service that is accessible over the internet for me and that too is backed/ protected by Cloudflare so 'safer'
Add ZeroTier as well

Back