Cheaper/Better alternative to Ikea Alex Drawer Units

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
Nov 26, 2020
I am looking for some cheaper or better alternatives to the Ikea Alex Drawer Units that everyone and their mom and dad seem to use for gaming setups. I am planning to get a solid wood countertop as well, but wanted to check if there are alternatives to the drawer units.

I need them in Pune.

Tarantula

Disciple
Feb 8, 2023
Are you sure that you will be able to accommodate your gaming setup on a surface that is 58 c.m. in length and 36 c.m. in width? I would like to see some photos of it when it is completed.

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
Nov 26, 2020
Should be completed day after tomorrow. Ordered 8x4 sheet of 18mm pine finger-joint board, cut it in half, doubled it (so overal 8x2 with 36mm thickness) made some cutouts for cables, sanded and stained (twice). Will update thread once all is done.

rsaeon

Patron
Jul 8, 2019
I am looking for some cheaper or better alternatives to the Ikea Alex Drawer Units that everyone and their mom and dad seem to use for gaming setups. I am planning to get a solid wood countertop as well, but wanted to check if there are alternatives to the drawer units.

I need them in Pune.

Not cheaper, probably a little better:

The APRODZ brand sold by Retail EZ has Alex-like drawers in wild colours and three sizes:

Prices are generally higher than buying from aprodz themselves (who also have a few extra models in the same size and in white):

But there's no cost emi with amazon pay later for the ones sold by Retail EZ (they also have no cost emi for other computer/study desks).

Reactions: napstersquest

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
Nov 26, 2020
IMG20231212185208.jpg

rsaeon

Patron
Jul 8, 2019

That's really cool! I love large desks, more people should break out of the 2.5x2 suffocating nightmare from a lifetime ago.

I got mine about five years ago but I was severely financially constrained so I used leftover doors from a construction site:

It's 6x3. I got the cheapest laminate and hired a questionable roadside carpenter to paste it on. It's a rough job that I've been meaning to have redone.

Your 8x2 size would've far more useful to me, and the natural finish/stain is very classy. When I was younger, I would seek out dark coloured tops but these days there's something really appealing about lighter wood grain tops.

Reactions: napstersquest