Laptops Changing processor of sony vaio from i3 to i7? Help?

mutant

Skilled
Hey guys!

Well, I have a sony vaio VPCEB36FG
(core i3-370M, hd5650, 4gb, win7, full hd)

I was thinking to change the processor from i3-340M to i7-720M. But here is the dilemma, cpu id report the socket to be 989 RPGA

sxelmu.png

and the motherboard as H55

vyus88.png

Now I searched on ebay.com for core i7 M and got many people selling there i7-720M...but everywhere I see, all of them report the socket as 988 :(, but oddly enough, quite a few of them also says that any H55 motherboard will support them, Now I am a little confused, I don't wanna end up buying a processor that is not compatible. So if any of you have any ideas, I would appreciate the it :)

Cheers!

rPGA 989 sockets can take rPGA 988A or rPGA 988B processors AFAIK.

But I would advice you to take second opinion before you make a purchase.

Thanks for the Socket G1-wiki !

So, the H55 should have a G1 socket in which currently there is a rPGA 989 corei3-370M and I should be able to replace it with a core i7-720M rpGA 988A processor..

But in most of the ebay listing it says, socket PGA988 processor... is that the same as the rPGA 988A/B processor? Would those fit?

And an i7 will run hotter than an i3. How are you going to manage the cooling since the device in question is a laptop & not a desktop ?

I don't think that a user is supposed to change a laptop CPU.

pauldmps said:
I don't think that a user is supposed to change a laptop CPU.

Well that is what they want you to think, the i7-720QM are one of the lowest heat generating i7 processors and it will run just fine. I can get the i7 for around $150-170 and sell the i3 for $100... So, you can have quite a upgrade.

After this upgrade, I will put in a 90GB SSD and there you go, perfect laptop at a budget price :p

mutant said:
So, the H55 should have a G1 socket in which currently there is a rPGA 989 corei3-370M and I should be able to replace it with a core i7-720M rpGA 988A processor..

But in most of the ebay listing it says, socket PGA988 processor... is that the same as the rPGA 988A/B processor? Would those fit?

The ebay listing calls it the PGA 988 but that too should be rPGA 998 only.
mutant said:
I can get the i7 for around $150-170 and sell the i3 for $100... So, you can have quite a upgrade.

After this upgrade, I will put in a 90GB SSD and there you go, perfect laptop at a budget price :p
Have you considered Shipping and Customs??

mutant said:
Well that is what they want you to think, the i7-720QM are one of the lowest heat generating i7 processors and it will run just fine. I can get the i7 for around $150-170 and sell the i3 for $100... So, you can have quite a upgrade.

Okay go ahead. I guess you know what you're doing. :)

Do post the end results here. A step-by-step process would be interesting.

its a good option to try! Its really hard to source parts but if you have a good source everything is easy.

I made my Compaq C555TU (Celeron 1.8Ghz ) to a C2D 7500 & 4GB RAM, SSD wasn't out at that time though

lilboy said:
wish i could do the same to my lappy
You can actually, or get someone to do it for you ;)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

nehaladsul said:
The ebay listing calls it the PGA 988 but that too should be rPGA 998 only.
Have you considered Shipping and Customs??

Hm..I guess the sockets should not be a problem then. About the shipping and customs, well I have considered shipping, but I am hoping to get pass the customs for cheap :p ...lol, lets see. If the processor is marked as "Experimental Sample Circuit" and valued around $20, it should be fine.

MrRIG said:
What will be the cost of used Core i3 Iam looking for one
Like I was saying, it should be $100-120

pauldmps said:
Okay go ahead. I guess you know what you're doing. :)

Do post the end results here. A step-by-step process would be interesting.

Yea, I will post the results of the upgrade once I am done :)

aasimenator said:
its a good option to try! Its really hard to source parts but if you have a good source everything is easy.

I made my Compaq C555TU (Celeron 1.8Ghz ) to a C2D 7500 & 4GB RAM, SSD wasn't out at that time though
That should have been fun xD , you can try for the ssd now if your mobo supports it.

omg..someone please merge all these replies...where is the multiquote? :O

^^ hey hows ur quest going on ...u upgraded yet ?? me on the similar mood for VPCEB26FG ..

i opened my lappy to just check whether it is soldered on not ... and i found out it is not soldered ... so there can be a possibility of cpu upgrade ... i later found out ur thread ... how about i5-580M ??

it should not be big headache but also consider bios support as sony does not bother much to do bios updates.

wish you all the best.

Thanks for the Socket G1-wiki !

most of the laptop manufacturers lock cpu upgrades in bios, before upgrading be sure the bios supports it, have you checked with intel data sheet for BD82HM55 PCH bridge supports i7 cpu and if you are in delhi mobile i3,i5 & i7 cpu's are available in nehru place

Back