Can't go back from Tomato to Buffalo firmware on router

Hello.

I got a Buffalo WHR-G54S router from my brother that he had flashed with Tomato firmware before handing over to me.

I am not comfortable using third-party firmware and wanted to go back to the original Buffalo firmware. I went to their site and downloaded the firmware appropriate for my model number.

The download was in a .zip archive that decompressed to reveal an .enc file. First of all, I have never come across this extension. Tomato did not even recognize it when I tried to upgrade the firmware using that file. I changed the extension to .bin and later to .trx but both times, the upgrade failed because Tomato said that "The file has an invalid header."

I installed DD-WRT just to see if I could upgrade via that but even that didn't recognize the .enc file. And when I tried upgrading by changing the extension to .bin and .trx, it failed.

Now, I've gone back to Tomato from DD-WRT but I still want to go back to the original Buffalo firmware. How do I do that? What will recognize an .enc file? How do I get a .bin/.trx file from this?

Please help me!

Thank you so much!

And on the nth day, God ran into some serious problems. He then switched on his computer and went to Google to find an answer
<

Okay, wait.

I downloaded the v1.20 patched firmware for the G54S from the directory you linked to. I updated to that firmware from Tomato's Admin panel. The process went smoothly and the router rebooted.

But, after that, nothing works. I tried going to 192.168.1.1 and it didn't open. The back of my router specifies an address 192.168.11.1 but even that didn't open. I opened Google but got the message that DNS lookup failed.

So, turns out my celebrations were premature. Any help here?

Hi!

First of all, thanks so much for the help. I went to that link and tried to follow the steps in it as closely as I could.

1. Set your computers ethernet cable interface to static IP address: 192.168.11.2, Network Mask: 255.255.255.0 and Gateway IP: 192.168.11.1
  2. Connect the network cable to the bricked routers LAN port 4
  3. In Windows cmd interface start a "ping -t -w 10 192.168.11.1", continuous ping every 10 milliseconds
  4. Push the reset button (located in the buttom of the router), and keep it activated
  5. Unplug the routers 5v power cable, count slowly to 5 and reconnect the power cable.
  6. Count once again slowly to 5 and release the reset button.

If you are lucky you will see 3-5 ping answers from your router on IP: 192.168.11.1 before the ping command again start responding with the timeout message.

I got this far perfectly. It's the part after that's giving me a problem. I don't know which TFTP script is being referred to or even what it is. The tutorial has this section -

"Another way is to use a (script) cmd file under Windows" from this page:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#TFTP_Flashing_Buffalo_Routers_under_Windows

But there is no such section on the provided link (even a Ctrl + F search yielded nothing).

I went on my own way and tried to use the TFTP feature (after enabling it, of course) in Windows 7 by going to Command Prompt and entering what this tutorial told me to (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash#Recovering_with_TFTP)

I got an "Access is Denied" message. I tried the DrayTek Router Tools but couldn't understand how to use it. I found other simple GUI TFTP clients but even they couldn't do anything.

Please, please help!

Can you run the command prompt as Admin and then run tftp.

Windows tools

http://www.dd-wrt.co...-TFTP/tftp2.exe

http://tftpd32.jouni...2_download.html

I don't know how to. I've opened the Command Prompt as Admin before and copied the text (with due modifications) from that tutorial above. It doesn't work. Right after the first line of command, I got an "Access is Denied" message.

I have downloaded and used both tools already. The first tool didn't work. I set the retry to 10 and it didn't work even once. I tried multiple IPs (192.168.11.1, 192.168.11.2, 192.168.1.2) but none worked.

I have downloaded and installed the second tool but didn't get how to use it.

Can someone, please, just give me a step-by-step tutorial on how to use the Command Prompt or any one of the tools so I can make sure I'm not doing anything wrong? It would be a huge help!

Hello people.

First of all, sorry for not replying all this while. My Internet connection actually died on me.

I got a new Internet connection set up just yesterday and tried setting up the Wifi on that. TFTP and other things didn't help. I followed the steps in the first quote box from my post above, got the ping responses and then reset the router a couple of times. It justt started working. I got continuous ping responses. I then just setup things according to my preferences and I finally have working Wifi!

Thanks a lot to everyone for your help. Wouldn't have been able to do all this without the snippets you posted.
<

Back